Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Witnessed a head on crash being narrowly avoided tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2008, 05:20 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Witnessed a head on crash being narrowly avoided tonight!

Well I was minding my own business tonight driving home from a job in the van in a queue of traffic. We came on to a quarter mile straight that was empty, so a few cars overtook - including a jag XKR that was seriously quick. .

Anyway, at the end of the straight there is a blind crest, and it was as I was nearing it that I noticed an old sh*tty mk3 Golf overtaking the car behind me. I couldn't believe it: I mean it was just a complete gamble as to whether there was anything coming in the opposite direction.

Turned out, there was! Some poor family in a people carrier - no doubt just done the school run - came over the crest travelling towards us. At this point the Golf was only half way past the van behind me, as the driver didn't seem bothered about putting their foot down. So the people carrier slammed it's brakes on(I watched this in my door mirror after it had passed me), and swerved into the verge - god knows how they kept control! No such reaction from the Golf driver however, who just calmly pulled in infront of the van after both it and the people carrier had to take evasive action.

It was at this point that I felt a huge adrenaline rush, that I havn't had in a long time. Couldn't believe someone would do something as stupid as that. I lost it, slowed down, put my head out the window to get a good look at the driver, and tell him in no uncertain terms that I wanted to kill him.

That wouldn't have solved anything, but I wanted to give him a bit of a fright. The van driver that had just been overtaken by the nutter in the Golf was also flashing his lights like mad and trying to pull him in to the next layby. I decided to leave it, as my Dad was trying to calm me down.

The Golf then overtook the rest of the cars in the queue very slowly - why do people do that??? The guy was in his 50's and was f*cking fat. He must have been drunk, from the manner he was driving in.

Anyway, I thought I'd just share a rant with the members of Scoobynet, apologies if this has bored you. It really annoys me when people do stuff like this - People could have been killed there, and an innocent family at that! In my 4 years of driving I can honestly say that I've never - not even in my worst days, when I pushed cars as hard as they would go on the road - done anything like that. Yet I still have to put up with being stopped by police on a regular basis because of the car I drive, when idiots like him just go about their business, probably p*ssed at the wheel.

p.s I've got his reg number...but I doubt anything can be done about it.
Old 18 November 2008, 05:40 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seen that type of thing a few times
Old 18 November 2008, 05:44 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would have had your dad call the cops from the passenger seat and reported him on the move. The Police might well have intercepted for a DD charge.

5t.
Old 18 November 2008, 05:49 PM
pmacFTO
Scooby Regular

I called the police one Sunday as I was going to work and a new Audi A6 was in front of me and the woman hit the kerb 3 times in a few mins - there were 4 ppl in it too - they said without full reg they couldn't do anything - I said they could at least send a car along the road to see if they could see her!! What if she hit someone?? I asked them to at least take the partial reg ( the car was quite a new one and a distinctive colour) on the off chance a crash ocurred later on their journey but the woman was not interested.

If you have the full reg tho, I'd report it in case something happened firther on - that could help them prove the driver was driving badly before the incident.
Old 18 November 2008, 06:26 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

if you had called the police and reported it as it happened they have been know before to stop people especially if they are near by and you explain they are driving dangerously and could have been drinking, after all they do have a duty to protect
Old 18 November 2008, 06:29 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

I'd report it - if someone else also reported him, then it would be pretty difficult for the police to turn a blind eye?

I remember many years ago heading to work along a striaght bit of 60mph road. There was a line of traffic following an artic heading in the opposite direction and a car popped out to overtake some of the vehicles.
Not a problem, as we were still some distance apart, but I backed-off slightly anyway. This car continued to overtake other vehicles coming towards me, but I thought, 'It'll pull in behind that car.' It didn't. It carried on. I slowed down more, put my headlights onto full beam and started to brake.
The car then continued to overtake the artic.
I then braked heavily, and fortunatelly, I managed to just stop in a farmyard gateway, just as the car narrowly missed both the front of my car and the lorry.

That was very scary. It was pure luck that I could get the most of my car off the road into the driveway. The on-coming car must have missed by inches. Obviously, I was too involved in self-preservation to get his reg no!
Old 18 November 2008, 06:52 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

driving the cat & fiddle a great number of times a week, I see this alot. its usually some kid in a corsa, saxo or small death trap type vehicle or power rangers on motorbikes!

As for reporting it to the rozzers, they might do something with a reg no but at the end of the day unless someone else reports it then its your word against theres.

Trending Topics

Old 18 November 2008, 07:16 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Saw a Pug 106 go head on with a fully loaded HGV in a NSL zone.. that was a fun afternoon I can tell you. The engine almost cut the pax legs off and the driver went through the screen. BiB threw the book at the driver but from what I heard he failed to appear and did a runner to his home country. The pax was in hospital for months.
Old 19 November 2008, 02:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Some prat-also in a ratty old Pug did the same going past me the other day, he only just got away with it. Its so unfair on the other bloke on the other side of the blind bend!

Les
Old 19 November 2008, 02:23 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I hardly overtake nowadays.

Certainly lots of idiots out there though seemingly in a mad rush (and yes you do normally catch them up at the next roundabout)
Old 19 November 2008, 02:44 PM
Micky Type-R
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately it goes wrong all too often

Lost 2 friends many years ago who admittedly were racing (no i DON'T condone this) and were overtaking an xr3i in their golf gti over a blind brow.Sadly the golf found a fiesta with an old couple in it coming the other way and slammed head-on into it killing the occupants of the fiesta and sending the golf barrel rolling into a field where it came to rest before exploding.

The xr3i driver did a runner and was later caught and jailed for his part.

My friends were racing on a public highway so even from me little sympathy(their families yes but my friends no) but I feel sorry for the occupants of the fiesta and their families.They have lost loved ones and for what....My cars faster than your car