Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bob the Dog is going home

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2008, 06:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bob the Dog is going home

Well he have had him a month, final straw today, my wife went to the car and he finished removing the architrave from the kitchen door, exposing a fair bundle of wires, which he just just starting on.

So, we cant keep him, have been wracking our brains but the moment he is left he pulls the kitchen to bits, we could work with him but who knows how long that will take, in the meantime how much damage will he do to himself or the house, potentially he could electrocute himself and burn the place down. We dont want a cage as there is nowhere suitable and who says he will go in it.

So, I rang his old owners, they seemed almost pleased, they rehomed him as they plan to go sailing six months of the year but they have a few months to sort things.

Don't know what we did wrong and whether we could have sorted it but I cant take the risks, absolutely gutted as I really enjoy having a Dog, really don't think we will get another now.
Old 18 November 2008, 06:21 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont be disheartedend my parents had to do a similar thing with a dog that started off really nice but turned into the devil after a few weeks of ownership. Sometimes it just does not work.

I am sorry if I have missed another thread with the type of dog?

We have a lab, when she was a pup she destroyed a few things, ate the lino off the kitchen floor in the old house, munched on tablets she got off the worktop and so on, but now she has gorwn up she really does not chew or destroy anything except her toys or any shoes we give her, she has never taken them without us giving them to her.

Alot of the time it is boredom for the dog thats why they destroy, or if it is a pup it is because they are little shi** just like children.

I think if the dog is creating that much mayhem for you you are probavbly making the correct decision but maybe try another dog next time?
Old 18 November 2008, 06:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
dont be disheartedend my parents had to do a similar thing with a dog that started off really nice but turned into the devil after a few weeks of ownership. Sometimes it just does not work.

I am sorry if I have missed another thread with the type of dog?

We have a lab, when she was a pup she destroyed a few things, ate the lino off the kitchen floor in the old house, munched on tablets she got off the worktop and so on, but now she has gorwn up she really does not chew or destroy anything except her toys or any shoes we give her, she has never taken them without us giving them to her.

Alot of the time it is boredom for the dog thats why they destroy, or if it is a pup it is because they are little shi** just like children.

I think if the dog is creating that much mayhem for you you are probavbly making the correct decision but maybe try another dog next time?

He is a six year old Border Collie, otherwise an absolute Star.
Old 18 November 2008, 06:52 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

so if the dog does something wrong you just get rid of it? poor dog.
Old 18 November 2008, 07:14 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
He is a six year old Border Collie, otherwise an absolute Star.
Seems a shame to give up though if he has ruined that much now there cannot be much left

Why not try and speak to the previous owners and see if he was like that with them and see if you can work out why he is doing it, it would be a shame if it was something simple
Old 18 November 2008, 07:49 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Why didnt you just take him to a training class and speak to someone who 'know' what they are doing, they are one of the most intelligent dogs on the planet (I have one myself) and are easily trained.

Trending Topics

Old 18 November 2008, 07:50 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that mate
Must be something triggering his actions, but there comes a point I guess where enough is enough.
Shame there is not more time to get to the bottom of it.

Just out of interest, is he left in the kitchen when you go out? Is there nowhere else to leave him, a little less "inviting" shall we say.

BC's are pretty high energy dogs, so being left alone can get boring quickly, especially indoors. Maybe a lower energy dog would be better if you do consider rehoming one again.
Old 18 November 2008, 07:56 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RyanSTI
so if the dog does something wrong you just get rid of it? poor dog.
The dog is going back to his original owners, did you not notice the bit about exposed wires, we cant leave him alone so he has to go back to his original home, we have gone through all the options but its the best solution for him and us, not remotely bothered about the damage, its easy to fix but when you find blood on it it makes you wonder how happy he is.

Its not like he gets left for long, my wife takes him to school when she drops the lad off, walks him, come back, has breakfast, takes him to her mums where she works (several acres of land) but inevitably we sometimes need to leave him, longest has been a couple of hours, in fifteen minutes on Saturday he removed all the lino from round the door, ten minutes today whilst the wife picked up the youngest he removed the architrave exposing a bundle of wires, so we spoke to his old owners and they were concerned and said they were happy to have him back, in fact I think they sounded excited at the prospect, they are an older couple and he works from home so Bob didn't get left at all really whereas we are in and out dropping kids off, Dog gets anxious, dog wrecks kitchen.

Its quite stressful really, I was in London and my wife rang me in tears have come back to blood covered splinters and not knowing what to do about the situation.

So I can see your point, and I feel pretty bad about it but he will be going back to his original owners, not the Dogs home. We had our last dog 15 years so its not like we don't look after them, he has been made a fuss of and walked two or three times a day, big garden, taken to the in laws farm most days.

We were going to try a cage but what if we forget, I thought about plating the accessible wood with metal, we tried Chilli on there, we tried practicing going out and coming back a different intervals, beleive me we have given it a lot of thought.

I appreciate all the Dog is for life etc and was prepared for that but sometimes things just don't work, perhaps a Border Collie was the wrong Breed for us ?
Old 18 November 2008, 08:00 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Just a "difficult" example of the breed me thinks. Not all BC's would be the same, and of course it depends what he was used to too.
I would not say you're doing the wrong thing, or have done anything wrong.

As you say its more about safety than "oh no thats another £100's worth of damage, thats it"

Its a good thing they are still about, hopefully a win win situation. Maybe the next should be a pup that can be raised in the enviroment it is to live in. Although rescue is a nice gesture too.
Old 18 November 2008, 08:21 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Why did the original owners want to rehome him ?????
Old 18 November 2008, 08:23 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mog
Why did the original owners want to rehome him ?????
they rehomed him as they plan to go sailing six months of the year but they have a few months to sort things.
Think thats the reason.
Old 18 November 2008, 11:27 PM
wagrain
Scooby Regular

Don't blame the dog. Blame the owners!

A dogs behavour is a direct reflection of the owners actions.

The problem is, the owners don't realise what they are doing wrong as its often very subtle.

Read one of the books written by Jan Fennell and you will learn an awful lot!
One example of her books:
The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell
Old 19 November 2008, 12:19 AM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

I always wanted one but was advised against it. They're working dogs - they need to run and run. They have bundles of energy to get rid of. A couple of hours walking a day is probably not going to be enough. Sorry it didn't work out.
Old 19 November 2008, 08:45 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Border Collies arent really the sort of dog to get if you want one as a 'part time' easy to look after pet and dont have the time to keep it amused. It isnt physical exercise they need so much as mental stimulation - unless they are actually working dogs ( a slightly different strain of the breed than the pet BC's ), most will be happy to laze around and rest between mad bouts of energy and running around.

They are too intelligent for their own good a lot of the time though, and can be quite devious, so if they dont have things to amuse them, or havent been trained very well from when they were puppies, they can easily detroy things as something to do.

Ours is nearly 17 months old, and has been trained from when she was a puppy, done good citizens courses and does competetive obedience, and she will still occasionally steal stuff or chew things shes not supposed to if she is bored or thinks she can get away with it.
Old 19 November 2008, 08:52 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

arent border collies a bit neurotic for want of a better word. they are a working dog? needs a lot of mental and physical stimulation and hate to be left to their own devices.

there is one across the road from me. for years it has ran the length of the garden when it see's a car then smashes his chest on the wall at the end. i have never seen this dog leave its home, must be over 10 now, totally mentally retarded, cant get near the thing

Last edited by sarasquares; 19 November 2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 19 November 2008, 09:20 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Echo all what has been said about Border Collies, my parents have them so I have some first hand experience. They all seem a bit mad and I think that is mainly because they are so mentally and physically active.

You could walk our first one for 10-15 miles on a good days hiking and in reality he'd probably do double that as he'd run ahead, then come back, run ahead again, etc. Anyway after that you'd think he'd be knackered and sleep for the rest of the day but no, bit of a rest but later in the evening he'd be ready to play again Really don't know where they get their energy from.

None of them have particularly liked being left, did manage to train them out of chewing stuff up etc., but couldn't really go for more than a couple of hours without someone checking up.

Whilst at home they need near continuous mental stimulation else they get bored and become a pain in the butt
Old 19 November 2008, 09:22 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger

Whilst at home they need near continuous mental stimulation else they get bored and become a pain in the butt

i know the feeling
Old 19 November 2008, 09:35 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

J4CKO

Sometimes it happens.

We fostered a six year old Lurcher a few years ago from NCDL (now Dogs Trust). We were both working full time at the time, and made this absolutely clear to NCDL. They were fine with it, given his age, and character.

He had come in as a stray, so they had no info, but it was clear someone had trained him very well indeed - he was fantastic off the lead.

Problem was, he had massive separation anxiety problems when we left him for any time at all. When we were in the house with him he was brilliant - relaxed, content and happy. But he did not want to be left.

Unfortunately we just didn't have the time to spend working with him, and couldn't afford for one of us to work less hours at the time. With hindsight we probably could, with a lot of effort, but then hindsight is a wonderful thing.

And so we made the very hard decision to take him back. It was heartwrenching, for sure. That morning he knew - you could see it in his eyes. Its amazing the bond we formed with him in such short time, but it was for the best, no question.

Dogs Trust were great, and now had much more info on him. He was rehomed with a just retired couple who took him everywhere, and as far as we know he lived out the rest of his life a happy boy.

Yes collies need to be worked, mentally and physically, but some dogs just need a lot of work.

Our Rottie bitch had a bit of separation anxiety when we got her (at two years old), amongst a whole other neurotic catalogue (purple cars, motorbikes, skateboards) but we had the time to work with her and she was fine.

If you haven't got the time, its much fairer on the dog to do what you've done.
Old 19 November 2008, 09:42 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

never mind mate,

do you think you will miss him in a few months and get another or is that definately it.
Old 19 November 2008, 10:22 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Pity he was so much trouble J4CKO, I bet you miss him though.

Les
Old 19 November 2008, 10:33 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Border collies are very highly strung - need tonnes of exercise and training.

Sounds like separation anxiety - a good trainer could really help.
Old 19 November 2008, 10:38 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Could not have said it better than DD (frickin show off lol)
Do a little research on suitable breeds. Its a minefield out there, little high energy dogs, huge low energy dogs etc... and the complete opposite too.

Mals were perfect for us, as although they have huge energy, they are lazy ******* too, and love to lay about doing little for long periods, but then when you walk them.... you have to go for it.
I currently walk 10 miles a day with our 2, and they are in a nice routine. But things like the Snowdon climb a few months back, Tuvaaq showed his true colours and did an amazing job.

You did the right thing both times, offering the home was a nice and caring thing to do, and realising its not working out, and taking him somewhere he can be looked after is also the right thing to do. Rather than all living a life of misery.
Old 19 November 2008, 12:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

DevilDog is spot on, it wasnt boredom or needing to do something, it was that he just couldnt cope with being on his own, the previous owner said he had worked from home since they got him so he never really got left, they used to take him everywhere in the car regardless if there was a walk involved.

I dont think it was the Collie energy and intelligence that was the problem, he was quite happy to chill a lot of the time and would tell you when a walk was required, he was going to the in-laws farm a lot and we kept him busy, for the first couple of weeks he was fine, well trained, settled in, one small nibble to the door frame but things got a lot worse on or around Bonfire Night, poor sod was panting and quivering, slavering on the carpet and we couldnt comfort him, we took him to the in-laws as it was quieter, I took him in the fields for a walk with the other dogs and as is typical someone let off a massive great noisy firework from the next house along, that exploded right above us, he was off inside like a shot, quivering again, I do think the fireworks may have caused part of this but you cant really avoid them completely.

We took him on as he was described as calm and easy, which he was most of the time, when we were in, but we do have to leave a Dog for short periods to pick kids up, sometimes you go to places where a large slobbering dog isnt welcome !

Appreciate the support and I do feel bad about this, I am not Barbara Woodhouse and cant keep a Dog that is probably going to hurt itself the minute we go out.
Old 19 November 2008, 12:16 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

let him make is home way home

like in the littlest hobo
Old 19 November 2008, 12:23 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

J4CKO, don't beat yourself up about it. Like DD said, it's better that he goes somewhere where he'll be happy than somewhere where he's obviously not as happy.

I've just started the process of applying to rehome another rescued Staffy. This one also has some issues (are there any dogs that don't? ), his main one being that he is a bit frightened of the big wide world outside and isn't used to being left on his own (his previous owner was an agrophobic) so I'm anticipating problems such as you've just had.

If it works out for both us and the dog then great but if one of us is unhappy (me, Bob, new dog or current dog) then I'll have to reconsider the plan. It's just how it is sometimes.

Well done for trying anyway, there aren't enough folk in the world who feel able to take on a rescue
Old 19 November 2008, 12:28 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Our BC is quite happy to be left on her own, she just curls up on the bed or settee and has a sleep. From the time we got her we cage trained her at night and when we were going out, so she got used to it, now we dont use the cage anymore and shes quite happy.

There IS a BIG difference between a pet BC and a working dog though - working dogs, and those bred directly from them are a lot more to handle. We know a woman who breeds them and works them on her farm, and her dogs have very different personalities ( not nearly as friendly or outgoing as ours, they also dont look nearly as pretty ).

A proper working BC can run up to 80 miles in a day, and a lot of that uphill, so unless you plan on keeping up with it, or have a few acres with sheep, dont buy a working dog from a farm.

Our dog comes from a line of show dogs ( proper posh pedigree ) that have never been worked, so doesnt seem to have the need for so much exercise built in to her genes, although she is still very energetic compared to lots of other breeds.
Old 19 November 2008, 12:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I work, I rarely get left at home on my own but I love it, dogs are weird !