Marks and Spencer suits

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2008, 03:08 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marks and Spencer suits

I hate shopping but needs must!

Never tried M&S suits.Just seen they do suits up to about £800!

Was thinking more of their £150-£200.Needs to be hardwearing (office job).Don't want a suit shabby and shiny after just a few months...and I do plan to buy two.

Anyone done it? (Please don't refer me to Saville Row because I'm poor)
Old 19 November 2008, 03:12 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

They are fairly robust but usually extremely shapeless.

These do suits in your price range and some are pretty good:

Mens Formal Suits-Suits You

Yes they aren't big labels but they are usually quite well cut and last the distance.

M&S is good for some stuff but their suits are only good if you're middle aged and a bit overweight...
Old 19 November 2008, 03:13 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Had this dilemma last year. Was visiting the UK on my motorbike and couldn't bring my nicer suits so decided to buy one when I got there and chuck it in the bin before I went home.

Looked at the M&S suits but all the ones in the 200 quid price range seemed poor quality and badly cut to me.

In the end I went for a Jaeger suit from one of their factory outlets for 300 quid- the original price was supposed to be 700. Reasonable quality and a semi decent cut. Not too modern or old fashioned. Nothing more likely than a poorly cut 'fashion' suit to make one look like an oik IMO. Seemed a shame to bin it really.
Old 19 November 2008, 03:23 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Next suits have better shape. I prefer a more expensive one but I ride on the tube daily and it would be a waste.
Old 19 November 2008, 03:35 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Have to admit that "trendy" suits leave me sniggering.
Classic suit, classic good quality Oxford type shoes (none of this chavvy slip on cr4p), a decent shirt (can't go wrong with TM Lewin or Thomas Pink) and a restrained but good quality tie don't cost the earth but look an awful lot better than a ponsy "designer" suit with loud tie and dodgy loafers.

Well I think so anyway.
Old 19 November 2008, 03:42 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

i have a number of m&s suits (among others). used to wear them on a daily basis and my work involved frequent visits to building sites, so i used to be careful about what i wore when.

always worked fine for me. as others have said, some can be a bit shapeless so take your time looking at their range. (i always manage to get 20% discount as my sister is a menswear designer there, so very handy)

for shirts, i have ised lewin, tryhwitt and van heusen. i have more shirts than i wear these days, but worth buying a few at a time (jermyn street in london is a handy place for shirts....so many shirt shops all doing deals at the same time)

for shoes, i only tend to wear penny loafers of the right shape that works for me. no trendy stuff - not into that, plus it all outdates so quickly that i wouldn;t bother in any case.....plus i used to wear safety shoes so much of the time that it wasn't worth changing some days

haven't worn a tie for about 4 years i think! still have loads of classic type ties and plain colours in the wardrobe (china and hk are good for silk!)

oh, and because of my job, i used to buy 3 pairs of trousers with every suit - clean them all at the same time and your suit will last longer!
Old 19 November 2008, 06:38 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

If you're a non-standard shape like me, the M&S are quite good. Next, Burton's etc don't cope well with upside down weebles. Gorilla top half, midget legs. You should see me in a DJ, I really do look like a penguin, or a bouncer.

Trending Topics

Old 19 November 2008, 08:27 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

M&S are as good as most on the high street - and remember if you are buying somewhere like Paul Smith instead, they may well be made in the same factory!

Of course bespoke/tailored will give you a much better product, but at a much higher price.

Have a look at this website - it's a blog by an ex-Saville Row tailor, he recommends M&S if you are on a budget.

english cut: bespoke savile row tailors: what if you only have £200?
Old 19 November 2008, 08:46 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Without a doubt Charles Tyrwhitt is superb. Get all my work clothes from there. They have a sale on and I have this suit (may current favourite)

Charcoal Pinstripe English Suit Jacket - CTShirts - UK

£175 for suit and trousers. But other to choose from ...
Old 20 November 2008, 12:24 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunky
If you're a non-standard shape like me, the M&S are quite good. Next, Burton's etc don't cope well with upside down weebles. Gorilla top half, midget legs. You should see me in a DJ, I really do look like a penguin, or a bouncer.
lol. i have broad shoulders, but longer legs than a penguin
Old 20 November 2008, 01:12 AM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

if you are going to m&s go tomorrow as they have 20% off everything
Old 20 November 2008, 06:51 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

You any where near Bicester Village? You would get a good suit for that price from there....
Old 20 November 2008, 07:35 AM
M535I
Scooby Regular

i brougt a ysl suit from debenhams for £150.00 reduced from £300.00 a while back , you pay for what you get mate .
Old 20 November 2008, 11:35 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

well I wear suits every day...... surprisingly Moss Bros do allsorts of clearance bargains all yr round.

you will prob get a cracking deal for £70-£80 on something very nice, that was much more expensive.

their deals on shirts, ties also always give you much higher quality than burtons/next/M& S etc.
Old 20 November 2008, 02:49 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
You any where near Bicester Village? You would get a good suit for that price from there....
definately worth a look. the tog24 shop always used to be worth looking in too (if it's still there). i used to stop in on my way to wellesbourne from essex once a week, just to break up the journey. driving that way was more fun that the m25 and m40 anyway!
Old 20 November 2008, 02:54 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Anywhere that only does "matched" suits (e.g. can only have 34" trousers with a 40" chest jacket) is pantaloons.

I find a 30" waist and 42" chest, although hardly freakish, impossible to get the right fit unless they do mix and match suits. Just like good clothes shops do with girls bikinis (wife has a similar problem - size 8-10 bottoms, 34DD tops).
Old 20 November 2008, 02:59 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Nat - been to a few places that have done it. Very odd. And stupid.
Old 22 November 2008, 02:56 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

I have a number of v expensive suits and whilst they are lovey, in my experience they don't last very well.

If it's for every day wear, M&S are pretty good if you are the right shape for them. I particularly like the fact that you can buy several pairs of trousers and 1 jacket - I usually find that 3 pairs of trousers last about as long as 1 jacket for me as I don't wear the jackets that much.
Old 22 November 2008, 07:27 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by James Neill
Without a doubt Charles Tyrwhitt is superb. Get all my work clothes from there. They have a sale on and I have this suit (may current favourite)
Without a doubt another vote for Charles Tyrwitt

Order through Quidco and get 8% cashback on all CT purchases

Quidco - Charles Tyrwhitt