Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2008, 10:12 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any dog breeders on here? buying advice needed

(Or any staff bull terrier owners?)

Hi guys,

looking to buy a staffordshire bull terrier pup on friday evening, just thinking of what I need to look for when viewing on friday? Do i need to ask to see any papers, registrations, certificates etc, i know what to look for health wise its just the legitimate side of it I want to be sure of. My uncle is a registered dog breeder but cant get hold of him to ask grrr

plus if any owners of this breed on here, any more advice would be appreciated, lol. They look like such lovely dogs

thanks peeps, Ash
Old 19 November 2008, 11:20 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ash

Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Height 14-16 inches (36-41 cm).
Weight 24-38 pounds (11-17.5 kg).
Club recognition: FCI, AKC, UKC, KCGB*, CKC and ANKC (which I think are kennel clubs)?
Ideally suited as companion dogs, of "bullbaiter" ancestry and well suited as a watch dog.

*This is the Kennel Club Great Britain.
Old 20 November 2008, 12:06 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Ask to see the pups ancestory(the pedigree), and make sure you at least see the dam, and the whole of the litter
& copies of any health certificates for the sire & dam
Old 20 November 2008, 04:20 AM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

hey guys thanks..........

the mom and the dad are there to see, i can see where they have been bred also, ive seen a pic of the litter, the woman said tonight 1 dog and 1 bitch left link is here: Staffordshire Bull Terriers puppies for - Staffordshire Bull Terrier from East Midlands, Northamptonshire, Wellingborough - Free classified ads on Click Pets

So im gonna need to see that the mother and father are registered, and if the pups are registered? also i believe i need to check the parents have had their health checks for the RD and LG things (cant remember exactly the proper names but some hereditary disease) and also check the eye tests....? Also ther owners should have KC regirstered breeder certificates? im gonna feel so rude and nosey when i ask all this! lol
Old 20 November 2008, 06:53 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Make sure Mom and Dad are not related ...................
Old 20 November 2008, 08:25 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Please don't take this the wrong way but why do you want a Staff ? And is this the 1st doggy you will have owned ?

Staffs are hard work on training to IMHO But if you get proper dog lessons things will be easier.

Make sure you ask to see the kc Certificates and look at the blood lines and if any are champion ship winners.. Will show (CH) with any dog name.

Last edited by cossie-nutter; 20 November 2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 20 November 2008, 08:54 AM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Have you considered one of these instead ? It would be much easier to look after.

Trending Topics

Old 20 November 2008, 09:29 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Why the fascination with Staffies on here?
And old Scoobies?
And big TVs?
And Tag watches?
And....and...and...?!
Old 20 November 2008, 09:30 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Why the fascination with Staffies on here?
And old Scoobies?
And big TVs?
And Tag watches?
And....and...and...?!
humans occupy this forum...
Old 20 November 2008, 09:45 AM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

£250 seems a bit on low price side for a k.c reg, i would recomend contacting the kennel club and finding a reputable breeder as there are so many of these breeds being crossed/inbred, ensure you know the parents temperment and background
good luck with your search vicky
Old 20 November 2008, 09:46 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
humans occupy this forum...
Male humans specifically!

5t.
Old 20 November 2008, 09:51 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

So which breeds are banned then? I thought Staffies were on the list?

Shaggy - you missed my subtle point...
Old 20 November 2008, 09:56 AM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

Staffordshire bull terriers are not on the list but some people confuse them with the Pitt bull.

Defra, UK - Animal health and welfare - Animal Welfare - The Control of Dogs
Old 20 November 2008, 09:58 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

My mistake.
I know they are 99% lovely dogs but they still seem to often be bought by those wanting a "hardcore" looking dog. Same with many husky type dogs.
Old 20 November 2008, 10:11 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

We're looking at staffs simply because they are supposed to be one of the best family dogs you can get. The thing that puts us off is most seem to be mental!

5t.
Old 20 November 2008, 10:13 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

We got a black lab because they are supposed to be about the best (and safest) dogs with kids. As it turns out, ours is brilliant with our baby boy. Interested but nothing more than that.
How about Spaniels, retrievers and the like? Surely better with a family?
The one family I know with a Staffy really struggle to keep him under control and he's a scary looking blighter.
Old 20 November 2008, 10:21 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funnily enough we used to have a black Labrador, got in the hope he would be a good family pet. Unfortunately he was a nightmare. He would attack for no reason, and after loads of different attempts to get him under control, we ended up having to get him put down.
Old 20 November 2008, 10:28 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Funnily enough we used to have a black Labrador, got in the hope he would be a good family pet. Unfortunately he was a nightmare. He would attack for no reason, and after loads of different attempts to get him under control, we ended up having to get him put down.
Really?!! That's very unusual. Boys can be a bit territorial (we have a bitch) and boisterous if not trained properly but I've never known a genuinely aggressive one. That's why the RNIB and many disabled groups use them a lot.
Old 20 November 2008, 10:42 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Surprised at that. We had a black one that was completely nails when it came to other dogs and people she didn't like. Wouldn't attack but would just sit and growl at them until they left!

Very defensive over the family too facing down a couple of yoofs who had a go at my dad one night when he was walking her. The other dog, another lab that was her daughter didn't even bark until she was two and is scared of everything. Completely different dogs so you can't tell everything by seeing the mother!

5t.
Old 20 November 2008, 10:46 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Really?!! That's very unusual. Boys can be a bit territorial (we have a bitch) and boisterous if not trained properly but I've never known a genuinely aggressive one. That's why the RNIB and many disabled groups use them a lot.
Well add another one to that list. Ours is great with our kids but has to be watched when they have friends round. A couple of time she has growled at them for no reason. With other dogs there are some that she gets on with and will walk with no problems but there are others that she will go for with out a second thought.
Old 20 November 2008, 10:46 AM
Lisawrx

I know, we were shocked too. TBH, I'm not sure if he maybe just had a screw loose.
Old 20 November 2008, 11:19 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
Well add another one to that list. Ours is great with our kids but has to be watched when they have friends round. A couple of time she has growled at them for no reason. With other dogs there are some that she gets on with and will walk with no problems but there are others that she will go for with out a second thought.
It might be a noise thing. Ours didn't like loud people. She wouldn't actually have a go just growl in a 'leave me alone' sort of way.

Despite being black she also was a bit racist. The only people she ever barked at walking past were Asians!

5t.
Old 20 November 2008, 11:58 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

My mistake.
I know they are 99% lovely dogs but they still seem to often be bought by those wanting a "hardcore" looking dog. Same with many husky type dogs.
lol bitch!

personally I would not call "husky type" dogs, "hardcore"

Suprisingly the dogs we have had the most problems with, attitude wise towards ours are..... Labs, Chocolate and Black.

Ref the OP, think carefully what sort of dog suits your lifestyle and requirements from the dog, and what you can offer it in return. If a staf is the dog of choice, PLEASE do what people suggest, do the history checks, makesure everything is as it seems. Dam and Sire of the right ages, with all medical checks, and dont consider a cheap dog a bargain. Rarely happens like that.
Old 20 November 2008, 01:00 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter
Please don't take this the wrong way but why do you want a Staff ? And is this the 1st doggy you will have owned ?

Staffs are hard work on training to IMHO But if you get proper dog lessons things will be easier.

Make sure you ask to see the kc Certificates and look at the blood lines and if any are champion ship winners.. Will show (CH) with any dog name.
yeah Im sure, I've always wanted one they look awesome, lol and they are so loyal imho.... yes owned a few dogs before owned a Bichon Frise when i was in school (who isnt with us anymore), then we got a golden retreiver after i finished school that is still with us, at my parents house though, seeing as ive moved out now Id like another pet of my own, seeing as my favourite cat of all time that was mine named Licqourish, which i picked out of the litter myself at 4years of age, and he stayed with me til unforntunately dying 2 years ago when i was 22! he lived for ages. but i would like a staff, Id like something small but i dont want a jack russel or something like that, english terriers i dont like the look off, these staff's just tick all the boxes to be honest so you think £250 isnt a good price and is too cheap? Ive found a load of ones that are £500+ but they are the "Blue" staff terrier variety and any other colour iv found seems to be in the same bracket as the one ive been looking at....
Old 20 November 2008, 01:14 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

The only thing I would say be VERY careful of is temprement. Cheaper dogs are usually bred by people who dont care about what sort of dogs they are breeding. So if your dog will be around kids, its an important consideration.

Sadly its some of the home breeders that throw out some of the dogs with issues that end up giving the breed a bad name
Old 20 November 2008, 01:21 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ash002004
yeah Im sure, I've always wanted one they look awesome, lol and they are so loyal imho.... yes owned a few dogs before owned a Bichon Frise when i was in school (who isnt with us anymore), then we got a golden retreiver after i finished school that is still with us, at my parents house though, seeing as ive moved out now Id like another pet of my own, seeing as my favourite cat of all time that was mine named Licqourish, which i picked out of the litter myself at 4years of age, and he stayed with me til unforntunately dying 2 years ago when i was 22! he lived for ages. but i would like a staff, Id like something small but i dont want a jack russel or something like that, english terriers i dont like the look off, these staff's just tick all the boxes to be honest so you think £250 isnt a good price and is too cheap? Ive found a load of ones that are £500+ but they are the "Blue" staff terrier variety and any other colour iv found seems to be in the same bracket as the one ive been looking at....
IMHO £250 seems to be too cheap for KC Registered so dig deep on paper work and also call the kennel club for advice, If they are good breeders they will appear on the KC website.

I would never touch a dog that's not KC any more unless I know the full background of the dog. (We all have our own opinions on this!)

I own a Boxer called Roxy but before I got her I done so much home work it was unreal on her and the breeders.

We also have as 2 working dogs on the farm that are German Pointers called Ronnie and Reggie and they are KC to.

Another thing is what's the environment like at where the dogs are ? as ive been to some right dives in the past looking for dogs, Also look to how the breeders would treat them ?

How they start from day 1 is very important IMHO so find the breeders who actually care for the pups and have a nice environment.

Good luck buddy.
Old 20 November 2008, 01:23 PM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ash002004

Dont pay extra for a blue, they are not desired in the show ring and are only a washed out black over bred, IMHO i would be looking at paying around £500 mark for a pup, you need to make sure that the parents have been screened too so that pup will be clear by birth, any reputable breeder will only breed from sound healthy tested parents and they will only be too happy to show you the health certificates also answer any questions you should have, Just please dont rush in buy the 1st one see as all puppies are cute....research, visit lots of different litters/breeders and gather as much info as possiable.
Vicky
Old 20 November 2008, 01:25 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
lol bitch!

personally I would not call "husky type" dogs, "hardcore"

Suprisingly the dogs we have had the most problems with, attitude wise towards ours are..... Labs, Chocolate and Black.

Ref the OP, think carefully what sort of dog suits your lifestyle and requirements from the dog, and what you can offer it in return. If a staf is the dog of choice, PLEASE do what people suggest, do the history checks, makesure everything is as it seems. Dam and Sire of the right ages, with all medical checks, and dont consider a cheap dog a bargain. Rarely happens like that.
I've seen a lot of chavs with Husky style dogs recently.

I'm a bit worried about the "they look awesome" statement on Staffies.

Never had any problems with any labs - black, golden, chocolate (the maddest and hardest to train), green or blue. Anyone read "Marley and Me?" Now that is one hard to look after lab!
Old 20 November 2008, 01:53 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I've seen a lot of chavs with Husky style dogs recently.

I'm a bit worried about the "they look awesome" statement on Staffies.

Never had any problems with any labs - black, golden, chocolate (the maddest and hardest to train), green or blue. Anyone read "Marley and Me?" Now that is one hard to look after lab!
Yeah in all seriousness "husky type" is fast becoming the next popular dog for people wanting to look hard. Sadly with all the bad breeding thats going on, it is only a matter of time til there start being incidents, and the breeds get a bad name.

The difference is between the breeds, and clustering them all together is commonly done, but it causes confusion. Malamute, Husky, Akita and a number of others have similar looks, but are VERY different dogs.

Too many people wanting designer dogs, Huskamutes and Akitamutes are was too popular now, and actually being sold as a "breed" rather than a cross.

Just like any genuine owner of any breed that this happens to, its very sad indeed.

Like you say though, I think labs are "misunderstood" and perceived as simple easy dogs, and people fail to realise they still need training.
Old 20 November 2008, 02:00 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Snazy - true enough about labs. We did puppy classes and really look after ours - she's incredibly well trained and obedient but gets lots of love and attention (going out of our way to ensure she doesn't get jealous of the baby) and in great shape. Her only real foible is that she sometimes gets a bit over submissive and nervous of me and goes a bit doo lally - very rare but occasionally happens.
However I think they need a lot of stimulation and exercise - see too many badly trained fat labs around and that depresses me.

I think many husky breeds are stunning but there's no denying that they look a bit like domesticated wolves.

Quick Reply: Any dog breeders on here? buying advice needed