Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Aircraft enthusiasts, your opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2008, 01:27 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aircraft enthusiasts, your opinions please!

The SR91 Aurora. What do you reckon? Does it exist?
astraboy.
Old 20 November 2008, 02:59 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

More likely than not. Isnt the general feeling that this replaces the SR71?
Old 20 November 2008, 09:28 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Aren't they F111s in the pic? That would make it quite an old pic, early 90s...about the time SR71 was taken out of service...
Old 20 November 2008, 09:52 AM
jho!
Scooby Regular

They do look like F111's in the pic. (I worked on them for a number of years)

However I do not believe the Aurora exists as an in service aircraft. The aircraft in the picture is more likely to be a development aircraft of some sort.

I just don't believe the USA government is capable of keeping a secret like this for nearly 20 years. Not with the thousands of Aircraft enthusiasts camped outside every USAF base looking for this type of thing.

The biggest problem with any conspiracy theory is the lack of Governments and people keeping secrets.

I could be wrong though
Old 20 November 2008, 10:02 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

If that photo is real and some how I don't think so, its 1 honking big plane!!! Look at teh size of it compaired to the tanker and the F111's.

Does something like this exist, I believe so, did it exist then, I don't think so as others have suggested that would have meant an offical secret from the USA for 20 odd years. Even the stealth aircraft were rumbled after a few years and now paraded round the world.
Old 20 November 2008, 10:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

All sorts of things go on in Area 51 and the surrounding areas which we would find difficult to believe if we saw them!

Les
Old 20 November 2008, 10:54 AM
jho!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
All sorts of things go on in Area 51 and the surrounding areas which we would find difficult to believe if we saw them!

Les

I wish that was true, but with all the people that have spent years observing the area (as close as they can) 24hrs a day 7 days a week. They would see aircraft, but no nothing.

Arthur C Clarke when asked if intelligent aliens existed stated yes I believe they do. When asked if the USA had proof, said no a secret of that magnetude could not be kept.
Old 20 November 2008, 11:55 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jho!
I wish that was true, but with all the people that have spent years observing the area (as close as they can) 24hrs a day 7 days a week. They would see aircraft, but no nothing.

Arthur C Clarke when asked if intelligent aliens existed stated yes I believe they do. When asked if the USA had proof, said no a secret of that magnetude could not be kept.
Have you ever flown over those areas at low levels? I know someone who has!

Les
Old 20 November 2008, 11:58 AM
jho!
Scooby Regular

How did he do that? and what did he see? I would love to know, and am more than happy to be proved wrong.
Old 20 November 2008, 11:59 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I've been about as close to '51 as you would want to, without risking being shot...saw **** all!

We spoke to a local who claims to have been in the downdraught of a completely silent helicopter
Old 20 November 2008, 12:03 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
I've been about as close to '51 as you would want to, without risking being shot...saw **** all!

We spoke to a local who claims to have been in the downdraught of a completely silent helicopter
Me too

The local we spoke to is the son of a guy who worked there all his working life. He says the helicopter thing was incredible and he has no explanation for it.
Old 20 November 2008, 12:14 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aurora (aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) yes i know Wiki isn't the most accurate but i think it's an interesting read
Old 20 November 2008, 12:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Of course it doesnt exist, if it were we would be seeing documentaries on Sky every half hour, have you ever know Americans to be able to keep quiet about something good they have done, they are good at making stuff up, creating conspiracy theroies about bad stuff but anything clever they go on and on about.
Old 20 November 2008, 12:26 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy

The SR91 Aurora. What do you reckon? Does it exist?
astraboy.

*yawns* photoshop
Old 20 November 2008, 12:36 PM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Of course it doesnt exist, have you ever know Americans to be able to keep quiet about something good they have done,

They kept the F117 stealth fighter secret for more than 10 years....
Old 20 November 2008, 12:46 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

yeah i know, this has been exposed as a fake, but its a fake based on an eyewitness account. He claims to have seen a large highly swept delta in formation with a pair of aardvarks while being refuelled by an extender.

On the subject of keeping secrets, just remember they kept the F117 under wraps for the best part of a decade, so anythings possible!
Astraboy.
Old 20 November 2008, 01:02 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

yeah i know, this has been exposed as a fake, but its a fake based on an eyewitness account. He claims to have seen a large highly swept delta in formation with a pair of aardvarks while being refuelled by an extender.

On the subject of keeping secrets, just remember they kept the F117 under wraps for the best part of a decade, so anythings possible!
Astraboy.
Yeah, but I bet they were bursting to tell everyone.

The whole CIA/Roswell/Area 51 thing gets on my ****, Its just Americans trying to whip up a bit of mystique, they dont have any history so they have to create this aura of clandestine stuff and conspiracy theories.
Old 20 November 2008, 01:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I think the aero nuts are a lot more sophisticated than they were when the Blackbird and Nighthawk were being developed and tested. Low/Night vision goggles, radar, radio scanners (ok, not much use unless you're an uber hacker, as the coms would be encrypted) would I suspect be the norm.
Though I'm not sure what the exclusion zone around places like A51, so a radar unit might not have enough range to pick things up.

Can the Air Force keep the development of a new aircraft secret in today's world? I think it's possible, even with the watchers keeping an eye out. Is there a need for an ultra secret stealth aircraft these days, hmm, not so sure. UAV's are the way I think things are going, the Predator being a good example. Plus, miniaturization is another thing too. If you could have a very small, think a rather large RC aircraft, reconnaissance plane whose radar sig was that of a bird, or flock of birds, then you'd be doing rather well. Plus if you tech it up to make it stealthy (as long as it doesn't get wet of course ) then it's even better. When it comes to optics, things have progressed a lot since the days of the Blackbird, so smaller optic packages go into smaller airframes.

As for the picture being a fake, probably is, well, if it's mean to be Aurora, if anything it'll be a Nighthawk if it's not fake.
Old 20 November 2008, 01:06 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Astraboy.
Might be that the answer to your question is actually in your own statement. Taking into account the age of the F117's, could fit nicely into the time frame of the Haveblues concept flights.
Old 20 November 2008, 01:15 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All I see is two small boxes with red crosses in the OP

Didn't the "have blue aircraft" originally haveno tail, then twin fins before the butterfly tail arrangement of the F117 ?

Shaun
Old 20 November 2008, 01:21 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
All I see is two small boxes with red crosses in the OP

Didn't the "have blue aircraft" originally haveno tail, then twin fins before the butterfly tail arrangement of the F117 ?

Shaun
No idea, i have trouble keeping up with work let alone, anything else.
Old 20 November 2008, 01:24 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Funding for the Aurora project may possibly have been put on hold in favour of the SR-72 Blackswift.
Old 20 November 2008, 01:28 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

The above 'shopped pic explained...

Old 20 November 2008, 01:35 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

You have too much time on your hands Bob...
Old 20 November 2008, 01:38 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Good call Bob, fantastic work once again
Old 20 November 2008, 01:40 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Is aurora the pulsejet project?
Old 20 November 2008, 04:13 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Bare in mind that the USA stealth jet program started in the 70s, and in an interview a few years back a lockheed martin skunkworks ex managerial employee stated that the we simply wouldn't believe some of the stuff they are developing. Aurora itself may or may not exist, but im sure there's certainly some very exotic stuff being developed/tested.

Head on over to abovetopsecret.com and browse to the skunk works section. Hours of Reading 'material' there

Last edited by NeilT; 20 November 2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 20 November 2008, 04:56 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Astraboy.
Could have been a B2 back in the day................
Old 20 November 2008, 04:59 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Another reason why they dont fly these things......satellites!
For vertical recon they dont need planes any more, for ELINT they already have loads of planes, and for HUMINT they have Bond, so there you go!

Quick Reply: Aircraft enthusiasts, your opinions please!