Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Knife sets

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2008, 12:22 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Knife sets

Yup, it's that time of year when the wife is intent on buying me a gift knowing fine I'd rather she didn't and that I probably won't appreciate it anyway. ( i don't know why she bothers!)
The only thing I can think of is a set of knives. Global were the first that sprung to mind. MAC are a bit pricey and I like the look of Kasumi titanium range but don't know how good they are.
Any recommendations?

Cheers

Paul.
Old 02 December 2008, 12:25 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

I have had a set of globals for years, very happy with them. I recall that the 'what knives' question has been debated at length before though, so search will provide you with more options...

Steve
Old 02 December 2008, 12:37 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Tried to do a search Steve but I haven't paid 'Da man' to do so
Old 02 December 2008, 12:49 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
Tried to do a search Steve but I haven't paid 'Da man' to do so
https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...-348-25-a.html

Go to Google and search for: site:bbs.scoobynet.com knives

The official search never works properly anyway.
Old 02 December 2008, 12:56 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have got some analon knift, that are nice, and can be had had a fair price to
Old 02 December 2008, 01:30 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevem2k
I have had a set of globals for years, very happy with them. I recall that the 'what knives' question has been debated at length before though, so search will provide you with more options...

Steve
Got a set Globals earlier on this year, been really pleased with them. Worth checking out Costco as that's where I got my set. Six different knives for around £160 with a stand. Way cheaper than the high street.
Old 02 December 2008, 02:48 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Another vote for globals.
Old 02 December 2008, 03:00 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

If its for show then global are fine if you want good knives to use then get Victorinox. Globals are a bit Bang and Olufson look good do an average job but are somehow desirable.
Old 02 December 2008, 03:09 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
If its for show then global are fine if you want good knives to use then get Victorinox. Globals are a bit Bang and Olufson look good do an average job but are somehow desirable.
If you sharpen them properly there's nothing wrong with the globals.
Old 02 December 2008, 03:13 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...-348-25-a.html

Go to Google and search for: site:bbs.scoobynet.com knives

The official search never works properly anyway.
still got them.Yours for £19.99.There is a whole suitcase full too.

I'm now thinking about buying just individual knives that we need.I understand you really only need three good knives?
Old 02 December 2008, 03:31 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
still got them.Yours for £19.99.There is a whole suitcase full too.

I'm now thinking about buying just individual knives that we need.I understand you really only need three good knives?
I generally use 2. A large cooks knife for just about everything and a filleting knife for, well, filleting. We have a number of other global knives, the misses just uses the first one that comes to hand but I don't tend to use them.
Old 02 December 2008, 04:04 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
Yup, it's that time of year when the wife is intent on buying me a gift knowing fine I'd rather she didn't and that I probably won't appreciate it anyway. ( i don't know why she bothers!)
The only thing I can think of is a set of knives. Global were the first that sprung to mind. MAC are a bit pricey and I like the look of Kasumi titanium range but don't know how good they are.
Any recommendations?

Cheers

Paul.
I've got the same problem, only thing I want is some good Knives. Been looking at Globals. Will have to see what santa brings
Old 02 December 2008, 04:19 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

metalurgist (spelling) who spent 40yrs working for rolls royce, told me to forget titainium,stainless,ect,ect carbon steel is what you want as it will sharpen and keepan edge better than any other metal..
takes abit of keeping shiny but definatly worth the effort, mine is like a cut throat razor you just have to make sure you dry it and put a bit of veg oil on it to stop it rusting.. a bit like a samuri sword
Old 02 December 2008, 05:17 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

another vote for Victorinox. All the performance, not all of the price.

Nisbets are pretty cheap, as are Amazon ime.
Old 02 December 2008, 06:21 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
metalurgist (spelling) who spent 40yrs working for rolls royce, told me to forget titainium,stainless,ect,ect carbon steel is what you want as it will sharpen and keepan edge better than any other metal..
takes abit of keeping shiny but definatly worth the effort, mine is like a cut throat razor you just have to make sure you dry it and put a bit of veg oil on it to stop it rusting.. a bit like a samuri sword

Almost but not quite, a carbon steel blade is easier to sharpen but also easier to wear out because of the softer metal not to mention it can rust if you're not careful.

Stainless is pretty much what you want, takes me about say a minute to get a good edge, we do have machining stones to make life easier mind.

As ive said in other threads most german or swiss blades are quality, f.dick,victorinox,geiser/messer amongst others, they're all a muchness though victorinox can tend to be a bit heavier.

We are currently using a knife with a dimpled handle for a better more comfortable grip along with grooves in the blade, ive seen this done before with bayonets, it's to prevent stiction when cutting into meat.

Ive not had a chance to grab one but they seem popular, might try to chase up the name at some point, maybe tomorrow.

These are the sort of knives the trade uses, though the fancy ones can be expensive they all do the same job, our boning knives are only a few quid.

Giesser Messer, German Cutlery, Giesser, Knives, High quality, Forged German Cutlery

The blade of a chef's knife is made from one of these materials:
  • Carbon steel: An alloy of iron and approximately 1% carbon. Most carbon steel chef's knives are simple carbon iron alloys without exotic additions such as chrome or vanadium. Carbon steel blades are both easier to sharpen than ordinary stainless steel and usually hold an edge longer, but it is vulnerable to rust and stains. Some professional cooks swear by knives of carbon steel because of their sharpness. Over time, a carbon-steel knife will normally acquire a dark patina, and can rust or corrode if not cared for properly by cleaning and lubricating the blade after use. Some chefs also 'rest' their carbon-steel knives for a day after use in order to restore the oxidizing patina, which prevents transfer of metallic tastes to some foods. While some cooks prefer and use carbon steel knives (especially in Asia and the Middle East), others find carbon steel too maintenance-intensive in a kitchen environment.
  • Stainless steel: An alloy of iron, approximately 10-15% chromium, possibly nickel, and molybdenum, with only a small amount of carbon. Lower grades of stainless steel cannot take as sharp an edge as good-quality high-carbon steels, but are resistant to corrosion, do not taint food, and are inexpensive. Higher grade and 'exotic' stainless steels (mostly from Japan - as used by Global, Kasumi and others) are extremely sharp with excellent edge retention, and equal or outperform carbon steel blades, but they are expensive.
  • Laminated. As noted above, all materials used in blades represent various compromises. A laminated knife tries to use the best of each material by creating a layered sandwich of different materials -- for instances, using a softer-but-tough steel as the backing material, and a sharper/harder - but more brittle - steel as the edge material.
  • Ceramic blades hold an edge the longest of all, but they chip easily and will break if dropped. They also require special equipment and expertise to resharpen. They are sintered to shape with zirconium oxide powder. They are chemically nonreactive, so will not discolor or change the taste of food.

Last edited by hux309; 02 December 2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02 December 2008, 07:15 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Global blades are ok, problem is the handles which are a little narrow and can dig in to your hand a bit if you are cutting loads.
Best investment is a good means of sharpening any knife, I have a little flat diamond coated jobby, use that first then a decent steel to put an edge on them.
Old 03 December 2008, 12:31 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help everyone. Plenty to think about there.
Old 03 December 2008, 12:58 PM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

I make do with one 20cm Global cooks knife - useful for pretty much 95% of all jobs in the kitchen (a nice long serrated one is good to have too). I use it for everything from carving, filleting, deboning, peeling, chopping etc.

For me its better to have a good sharp general purpose knife than a range of knives that I might not ever need or use once in a blue moon. Like everything though the more expensive it is the more efort it takes to care for...
Old 03 December 2008, 01:40 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

I use Global too.

I just wish they could go in the dishwasher.
Old 03 December 2008, 02:01 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nicci
I use Global too.

I just wish they could go in the dishwasher.
Mine do.
Old 03 December 2008, 05:53 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichardS2005
I make do with one 20cm Global cooks knife - useful for pretty much 95% of all jobs in the kitchen (a nice long serrated one is good to have too). I use it for everything from carving, filleting, deboning, peeling, chopping etc.

For me its better to have a good sharp general purpose knife than a range of knives that I might not ever need or use once in a blue moon. Like everything though the more expensive it is the more efort it takes to care for...
I agree with what you're saying as I'm reliably informed that I have a 30cm Global coming for Christmas but I'm surprised at your opinion about the serrated ones? I've got some Kitchen Devils (not the best) but the largest serrated one just tears the meat rather than slicing?

Don't like it.
Old 03 December 2008, 06:57 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=hux309;8318233]Almost but not quite, a carbon steel blade is easier to sharpen but also easier to wear out because of the softer metal not to mention it can rust if you're not careful.

so exactly which part of my statment was not quite...
your own explanation agrees with everything i said....
Old 03 December 2008, 07:03 PM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

I like a serrated one for slicing cakes/bread etc. its a very long one (not branded just a cheapo for occasional use. Your right no good for meat...

God I sound G@y.....

BTW apparently its bad luck to give knives as a present, which is probably why I spent Christmas day with a few plasters on my fingers... Also water wheel sharpeners are good for bringing a sharp edge back to any knife (reccomended for Globals)
Old 03 December 2008, 07:05 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Thanks. See your point now. Has anyone got any recommendations for knife sharpeners?
Old 03 December 2008, 07:35 PM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

Yup - this one:
Cookware Online - UK Cookshop - Shinkansen Sharpener - UK shopping
Old 03 December 2008, 08:15 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

so exactly which part of my statment was not quite...
your own explanation agrees with everything i said....
You said carbon steel is harder to sharpen when infact it's easier as it's a softer metal you also said it keeps it's edge better, that depends, a high quality stainless blade will infact be better than a carbon one you just have to be skilled in sharpening the thing.

Most chefs use carbon steel because it's easier to sharpen, they probably don't have time to faff about sharpening it, it's risky using it though as it can taint food as well.

Im one better than a metallurgist, i actually use the things for a living.
Old 03 December 2008, 08:28 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
You said carbon steel is harder to sharpen when infact it's easier as it's a softer metal you also said it keeps it's edge better, that depends, a high quality stainless blade will infact be better than a carbon one you just have to be skilled in sharpening the thing.

Most chefs use carbon steel because it's easier to sharpen, they probably don't have time to faff about sharpening it, it's risky using it though as it can taint food as well.

Im one better than a metallurgist, i actually use the things for a living.
Now i dont normally shout but RE-READ MY ORIGINAL POST and then re-read your own info on carbon steel and ill be here waiting for my appoligy
Old 03 December 2008, 08:33 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Lol nah that sounds like too much hard work anyway id sooner concede.