Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Schools and Snow

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2008, 01:40 PM
scooby(puppy power)
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Schools and Snow

Dont what it is first bit of snow and everything stops, i woke up a bit early today and saw all the snow thought great, gets the kids up a bit earlier so they all ready for school etc, gets them to school with plenty of time to spare even though the traffic was not going very quick at all, then me and the wife go to do some xmas shopping at twenty past nine both our phones get a txt message from the school saying please dont send your children in today but we are open if they've set off, they have to be in form at 8 55 at ten o clock the daughter rings up they've all been sent home and me and the wife are in manchester by now, luckily my parents live on the same street as the school and one of them was home,

They had to shut the school because hardly any of the staff made it in, I never remember my school shutting for snow and we had weeks and months of it when i was a kid

Anyway by the time we had got back they had made a nice snowman in my mums garden, just couldnt believe it first bit of snow and all stops,
Old 02 December 2008, 01:49 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

It seemed the boiler always broke at school when I was there 13 years ago whenever it snowed. We all knew we'd be sent home before 11am
Old 02 December 2008, 02:00 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I remember the odd day here and there that my school had a snow day. As our place had a pretty large catchment area if the busses could not get in on time, then the place **** down.

It really does amuse me these days at how much, well, actually, how little snow can cause the UK to grind to a halt. It's not as if it just appears with no notice at all. I know weather forecasting is not totally accurate, but they do have a pretty good idea what is coming, and this should provide enough time for roads to be gritted/plowed and such like.

I guess when you're in a country that *knows* it's going to, at some point over the winter, get hit with a big drop of snow on one or more occasions, that things tend to be a bit more organised.

Back in early March we had an overnight accumulation of 5 - 10 cm of snow. They knew a storm front was coming in, but it was expected to be 1 - 2 cm, even still, the roads were being cleared and by noon things were pretty much back to the state they were the previous day, bar huge snow banks to throw yourself into

Can you imagine what would happen if the same snowfall hit the UK. There would be utter chaos for at least a couple of days. The kids would enjoy it though, no school and lots of snow to play in.
Old 02 December 2008, 02:05 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I still don't understand why there is so much trouble in England when it snows, they are still having the same problems they were having when I was at school over 20 years ago!!

I know you don't get that much but you DO get it every year and every year schools close, cars crash, heating systems fail, trains run late and the country grinds to a halt! why do you never learn??
Old 02 December 2008, 02:06 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

When I was growing up, we lived in a Village that only had one road leading into it. The snow was always worse then than it is now. The Village would be cut off for days at a time.

When heavy snow was falling, the kids who lived in the village would be sat in class waiting for the headmaster to walk round asking all children from M******e to pack their bags, we're sending you home.

Absolute bliss. Several days off school sledging while most of the other pupils still had to attend.
Old 02 December 2008, 02:09 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

........and it's the same when we have some sun [whatever that is]. We are in a drought.
Old 02 December 2008, 04:13 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby(puppy power)
Dont what it is first bit of snow and everything stops, i woke up a bit early today and saw all the snow thought great, gets the kids up a bit earlier so they all ready for school etc, gets them to school with plenty of time to spare even though the traffic was not going very quick at all, then me and the wife go to do some xmas shopping at twenty past nine both our phones get a txt message from the school saying please dont send your children in today but we are open if they've set off, they have to be in form at 8 55 at ten o clock the daughter rings up they've all been sent home and me and the wife are in manchester by now, luckily my parents live on the same street as the school and one of them was home,

They had to shut the school because hardly any of the staff made it in, I never remember my school shutting for snow and we had weeks and months of it when i was a kid

Anyway by the time we had got back they had made a nice snowman in my mums garden, just couldnt believe it first bit of snow and all stops,

.......................And breath!
Old 02 December 2008, 04:21 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Drivers in Surrey seem to freak out if a drop of water hits the roads, let alone snow!

Schools down here seem to close if a smidge of snow is on the ground, bizarre
Old 02 December 2008, 04:27 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
Schools down here seem to close if a smidge of snow is on the ground, bizarre
Typical public sector attitude to work in general. Any excuse to slack off. No doubt the 'reason' will be some PC health and safety nonsense.They still get paid, so why should they care?
Old 02 December 2008, 04:31 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Typical public sector attitude to work in general. Any excuse to slack off. No doubt the 'reason' will be some PC health and safety nonsense.They still get paid, so why should they care?
Yeah, that'd be right, I guess. I have heard them say that they were worried about kids slipping over and such, what a load of bawlz!
Send them home to slip over in their own gardens/driveways etc.
Then again that could also be a symptom of the compensation culture that plagues us
Old 02 December 2008, 04:37 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah, forgot to say, H&S cr@p drives me crazy, I can't even change a damned lightbulb at work due to stupid rules and regs. Althoug I've been shocked from the mains by my own desk numerous times and they don't seem to care about that Think they want rid of me
Old 02 December 2008, 04:41 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

they all seem to get a "pink" ticket from the police who say people should only make essential journey's as soon as it snows, however slighlty

pathetic
Old 03 December 2008, 02:53 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
who gets paid?
I don't get paid if I don't come to work, and I'm in the 'typical public sector'.

If people weren't so quick to sue councils everytime little Jonny grazed his knee, they's be able to stay open, and councils would still grit minor roads and - shock horror - footpaths.
Sadly they can't afford the legal bill anymore, due to a few greedy no win no fee idiots (who probably never pay tax anyway).

In my day we walked to school in a foot of snow, and they only closed when the outdoor loo froze...
Old 03 December 2008, 06:32 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I remember being 15 and having a whole week off school cos of lots of snow and the heating packing up. I agree that now they are just wusses, if I can get to work 20 miles away, I'm sure most of them should be able to!
Old 03 December 2008, 06:49 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I rememer having days off because the school bus didn't or wouldn't turn up, used to love those days. Now it drives me mad when people freak out due to an inch of snow on the roads
Old 03 December 2008, 07:14 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

according to BBC North West the end is nigh! the way they where going on about the snow you'd think the end of the world was here.

And most of the schools are already planning to stay closed! WTF?
Old 04 December 2008, 11:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Quite the opposite at my school, never ever got a day off for snow or anything else!

Les