Is it really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2008, 11:45 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it really that bad?

The recession I mean.

Woolies and MFI in trouble ... not really a surprise.

Every other shop offering at least 20% off everything.

I may be just lucky, but I do not feel any worse off than I did 12 months ago?

OK, my house (if I sold) is worth 15% less than it was in November 2007 - but, I'm not selling so who gives a ****?

My car is worth less than a Xmas selection box, but I'm not selling.

Things are cheaper, shops are offering 20% Off and more, good news.

Petrol is as cheap as it was a long time ago, hotel rooms are dirt cheap (staying in the New Forest between Xmas and New Year for pennies).

VAT is down - small amount, but it adds up.

If I want to buy a car, I now get two instead of one!

If I want a second home it is a Bank Loan, not a mortgage.

I haven't felt any change, just everything is cheaper and everyone seems to be panicking ...... am I alone in feeling immune, or is it actually not that bad?

Puzzelled?
Old 02 December 2008, 11:51 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice try I'm not biting.
Old 02 December 2008, 11:58 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Pete, who let you out of the shed
Old 03 December 2008, 12:04 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would imagine it very much depends upon how well off one is, and what line of work they're in, as to how bad things are.
Old 03 December 2008, 12:29 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I think it all depends what line of work you are in, mine is ∞ safe, so same boat as op, laughing all the way.
Old 03 December 2008, 12:39 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

Indeed, for those not at risk all they've noticed is less outgoings and cheaper stuff. In fact, someone who is secure, with a good credit record and some savings could be buying a 2nd home now. One example I looked at the other day - sold for 140 a few months back, half way through renovating it, repossessed, 75k should see it bought. With 20% deposit, that's £350/month. Wait for things to pick up again, sell.

It seems too easy........
Old 03 December 2008, 12:41 AM
Lisawrx

Well I can honestly say, I hope people who aren't falling on hard times continue in happiness, and don't find themselves in a bad situation.

Unfortunately this isn't the case for everyone, and I feel for people who aren't so fortunate. I personally don't think it's very nice to say the least, to act smug, during times when some people are really struggling.
Old 03 December 2008, 12:56 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

In fairness, a large proportion of those struggling are like my neighbours who've remortgaged their house repeatedly, always keeping their mortgage bigger than the value, and now they face a plummeting house value have considerable neg equity and are paying most of their wages to service an interest only repayment on a house that is worth less than they owe on it, while facing possible redundancy.

Reckless is one word that springs to mind, retarded another.

If I lose my job (Tier 1 Automotive OEM - likely) it'll be ****, but I have contingencies. I can afford to scrub pots or whatever until the worst is over - it won't be ideal but I won't lose my home. I have cut my cloth suitably, and find it hard to have sympathy for those who didn't.
Old 03 December 2008, 12:57 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I don't think its smug at all, when I had mates in the trade making 70k+ a year in London not so long ago, when I was on less than half that after spending years more in education, giving me a ribbing. Now the tables have turned and 3 out of the 4 I know well have no work, where is the problem stating it?

Secure jobs pay less, but they always pay.
Old 03 December 2008, 01:07 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Dedrater
I don't think its smug at all, when I had mates in the trade making 70k+ a year in London not so long ago, when I was on less than half that after spending years more in education, giving me a ribbing. Now the tables have turned and 3 out of the 4 I know well have no work, where is the problem stating it?

Secure jobs pay less, but they always pay.
There's no problem stating it at all, and my comment wasn't particularly aimed at you, just generally made. (or slightly at Pete)

Like I said, I hope all those who are comfortable through hard times, remain that way, and I mean that.

All I have said, is I feel for people who aren't so lucky. Yes some people will be there through bad choices, but many people only have a certain degree of foresight. Not only that, I do feel for people who have their living on the line, due to the circumstances right now.

I certainly wasn't having a dig at you.
Old 03 December 2008, 08:45 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

this from the same poster who was keen to tell us how good it was under New Labour.
Old 03 December 2008, 08:49 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

I see this recession like a bomb going off

there's been a bang and we heard it but we have yet to feel the blast
Old 03 December 2008, 08:53 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Welcome back Pete
Old 03 December 2008, 08:58 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Puzzelled, Christ how did you concoct that one, Pete? Puzzled, pretty simple.

The full force of this recession hasn't hit yet. It's coming.
Old 03 December 2008, 09:06 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

I agree with Pete, i think all this recession nonsense is just media hype.

I dont know a single soul who has been affected by it, lost their jobs etc.

Couldn't give a monkeys about estate agents, bankers and builders if im being honest.
Old 03 December 2008, 09:34 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

But the MEDIA are reporting house prices have dropped 1% last month and 1.5 this - hardly sensationalist
Old 03 December 2008, 09:36 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Similar situation here. Plenty of work with lots more lined up and things have just got cheaper. Of course it could all go wrong in a short space of time but if it does, we have a good safety net of savings to fall back on. We also rent so dropping house prices are all good for us.

My Dad is quite short of work though - he does (designs and project manages but also goes on the tools if needed) period restoration and construction - very high quality stuff on mostly listed buildings. He's got work but could do with more. Most of his currentclients are completely unaffected by the crunch but it's tricky finding more.
Old 03 December 2008, 09:50 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Smell the coffee Lewis

Why don't you post your message on Woolies' website? It might cheer up 30,000 people who are going to have their worst Christmas for years.

You don't, by any chance, have a secure public sector well paid job do you?

Smug sod.

dl
Old 03 December 2008, 10:05 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

We've been trading since 1965 and have never known it as quiet and as a result been put on a 4 day week and its not looking good.

Most of my friends who do various different roles are quiet and two have been made redundant recently after years of service.

My Aunt's was made redundant after 40 years of service a couple of months back after her printing company went t1ts up.

In my opinion it is bad, ok if your in the public sector or in the service industry you might be shielded somewhat but from what i've seen it is bad and could get worse.
Old 03 December 2008, 10:10 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

Originally Posted by Mitchy260

Couldn't give a monkeys about estate agents, bankers and builders if im being honest.
Could you give a monkeys about 10's of thousands of average Joe's working in the automotive oem sector and suppliers.

Honda, Land Rover, Aston Martin, Toyota in this country all have either recently laid people off, are laying them off, or are having very long christmas breaks- or even out in the community 1 or 2 days a week painting fences! In America Ford and GM have literally months left unless things pick up or more likely they are bailed out by the government.
Old 03 December 2008, 10:24 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

If you are in a secure job, and have little or no debt, then it is a fantastic time to be buying. Cars/Houses are only going to get cheaper.

Seriously thinking about either a 911 Turbo or a house next year. Both will be cheaper and within reach (One not both) with little or no loan/mortgage.

Looking to Get a Plasma nearer to Christmas or just after when hopefully the January sales will knock prices further down.
Old 03 December 2008, 10:25 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Clearly many are affected by it - isn't this about the effects on ourselves?

The thing with this crunch is that people seem to be losing jobs and having to take pretty awful work. Previously if you lost your job, you usually got something similar. Now it seems that if you lose it, it's time to work for £6 an hour.

The Chief - what line of work are you in?

We have a lot of Public Sector clients who are okay so far and the one private client (a biggie) is probably one of few that's doing very well indeed.

Stilover - so what's "safe" then?!

I think it's best if you are doing okay at the moment to simply save and build as big a safety net as possible.
Old 03 December 2008, 10:28 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260

I know a few people who have just been laid off, or are being laid off at Christmas. Not very happy times for some at the moment.
Old 03 December 2008, 10:34 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy

Stilover - so what's "safe" then?!
All depend on your company, obviously. I work for an Industrial Roofing and Cladding company, and our order book is full up untill this time next year. We are soon to find out if we are succesful on a huge Government funded project that is worth Millions to us. If we get this, we'll have enough work for another couple years. So by that, there will not be a Credit crunch for us.

This then gives me confidence to buy a new house/car etc. Knowing that my wage is guaranteed for a few years to come. By then, we should be out of any Credit crunch and we'll secure more orders for the forseable future.

So my job, I would regard as safe. Touch wood.
Old 03 December 2008, 10:38 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Stilover - well I could consider our business "safe" - mostly public sector clients with a very large private one too that really as safe as it gets but I'm under no illusions whatsoever - it could all go wrong at any time IMO.

Yours does sound good though.

Got a random email and call yesterday lining a load more work up for us too.
Old 03 December 2008, 10:54 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Think the problem is a lot of people are broke paying back what they borrowed over the last 5 years.
I must admit my girlfriend and I have been concerned that we havnt felt the pinch yet. Everyday on the news we get told that we should be feeling but so far its not got us.
Its very un nerving thinking that any moment this nasty credit crunch is going to get us.
Old 03 December 2008, 11:01 AM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

I haven,t noticed any difference
Old 03 December 2008, 11:12 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
I think it all depends what line of work you are in, mine is ∞ safe, so same boat as op, laughing all the way.
I wouldn't say I'm laughing at the moment, but I'm another one in the same boat and I'm certainly not bothered in the slightest. It's a harsh reality that a lot of people don't want to face, but they borrowed too much and now they're in trouble. Just because everyone else was doing it didn't make it right.

The reason I'm OK is because I got off the property ladder, stopped 'improving' my home and finished with using any forms of credit 4 years ago. After a year I wondered why the crash I was expecting hadn't happened. After two years I wondered again what was going on. After three years I just waited and decided that what would be, would be. After four years, the crash came and everyone who should have expected this to happen acted all surprised.

People who never sunk money into their homes, never needed to remortgage to pay off their credit cards, never lived beyond their means, never worried about the 'property ladder' - these people aren't in any trouble now. And that's how it should be.

I feel sorry for people who are in the **** now, because that includes lots of my friends and close family. But I made my choice and tightened my belt while everyone else was spending money like water. And I'm glad I did. If that's smug, too bad.
Old 03 December 2008, 11:13 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
The Chief - what line of work are you in?

We manufacture TV and radio transmitters and i do all the purchasing.
Old 03 December 2008, 11:15 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

One thing i've learnt is manufacturing is mostly dead in this country now. i wish i could get out and should have done years ago.

I'm sure even a thick tw9t like me could make some money - after all i see plenty of others doing it.

Quick Reply: Is it really that bad?