Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ciggies - under the counter

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2008, 02:01 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ciggies - under the counter

Ciggies cannot be on show, need to be hidden.

I favour the move myself, if you smoke you know what you want and can ask for it.

I'm assuming it's to keep them from the view of the children? Make it appear 'less normal' to them?
Old 09 December 2008, 02:05 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Out of sight out of mind? Wont effect those who do smoke but hopefully it might have an effect, no matter how small on the next generation
Old 09 December 2008, 02:05 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how I feel about it Pete, probably a good thing in the grand scheme of things.

How long before UB turns up, foaming at the mouth?
Old 09 December 2008, 02:07 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Can't see it making much difference, I Think the people who try it generalyl do it because friends smoke at a young age or parent's smoke, I don't think a non smoker goes into the shop sees the cigs on display and thinks "i'll try them"
Old 09 December 2008, 02:09 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I doubt it will alter the Teenagers who have seen ciggies being sold and on show throughout their lives.

It hopefully will stop the under 10's thinking it is 'normal'?

Yes, I did smoke .. started at 11 and stopped at 40 - only now do I not fancy a smoke!
Old 09 December 2008, 02:16 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

The real question should be: What to replace the behind-the-counter display with?
Old 09 December 2008, 02:20 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
The real question should be: What to replace the behind-the-counter display with?

that is easy. Hard core ****, space dust, curly wurlys and any other forbidden fruit
Old 09 December 2008, 02:39 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I think it's a great idea. I'm looking forward to other government initiatives that tell me what I should eat and when I should be going to bed too. We're sooo lucky to have a government that cares about our well being so much, and is willing to introduce lots of enforceable legislation to make sure we comply.
Old 09 December 2008, 03:09 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Its a good thing, it will make smokers feel like dirty little druggies. When you walk past someone smoking, look at them in disgust, if we can get the masses to think smoking is minging and vile, which it is, our children wont want to do it.
Old 09 December 2008, 03:17 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Not til 2013 in the shops though. That's good isn't it

Chip
Old 09 December 2008, 03:19 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

As a non smoker, I hate ****. Both parents smoked when I was growing up. Windows closed all the time too. My lungs would have been full of second hand smoke.

Best thing the government did was banning smoking in the workplace and in Pubs/restaurants. I don't leave work stinking of smoke, and I can now have a pint in a pub without standing in a cloud of smoke.

However, I do believe people have a choice to smoke. Just as long as that choice doesn't mean I have to breath it in.
**** under the counter is a step too far IMHO. This will not make people quit or prevent people from starting to smoke. The Anti-smoking brigade say people start smoking because of the advertising. Rubbish. It's peer pressure from friends pure & simple. Those who are weak minded or think it makes them look cool start smoking. Others don't.

Same as some silly bint on the telly this morning calling for FHM/Zoo/Maxim/Nuts etc to be either put on the top shelf and only sold to people over 18 or banned all together.

Everything seams to be coming under the stoplight to be banned.

**** - Ban'em
Lads mags - Ban'em
Cars - Ban'em

Last edited by stilover; 09 December 2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09 December 2008, 03:45 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Exactly. Great news for all those supporting a ban but at the end of the day this is about civil liberties. Personally i enjoy not smelling of tabs when i come out of a pub but we are already looking at banning greasy spoons and forcing truck stops to serve salad etc. It can only be a matter of time before drink goes the same way, after all drink causes far more problems than second hand smoke does.

I too am waiting for the government, which says i eat too much red meat, put too much salt on my food, get too much fat, drink too much and all the other campaigns they have going to tell me how i can die in a government approved manner.

Oh and i wouldn't half mind if they stopped bumpign the retirement age up because despite all this we are all living longer already and those who are old now grew up at a time when most of the population smoked etc!

5t.
Old 09 December 2008, 04:13 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

BOOZE! Just as much tax
Old 09 December 2008, 04:31 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I heard on the news yesterday that a council were refusing to issue new licences to shops thought to provide unhealthy food within 400 yards (or some other stupid distance) of schools.

Pathetic nannying by a control freak gov't.
Old 09 December 2008, 05:50 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Never smoked myself but I don't think this will stop kids smoking.
Herion and cocaine etc aren't on general view but that hasn't stopped many kids getting hooked.
Old 09 December 2008, 06:01 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

That's easy. A nice big one of these:

along with the slogan:

Nu Labor - Controlling Your Life From Cradle To Grave
Old 09 December 2008, 06:04 PM
Zeon
Scooby Regular

I believe trading standards laws state that prices of products must be clearly viewable. So in light of this are they going to hide the cigs but have a big poster with all the prices on
Old 09 December 2008, 06:26 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

TBH I think they should hide the booze too as it causes far more problems than smoking ever does, teenagers do not abuse people if they smoke but they usually do if they have been drinking and so on.

Misguided sentiments from the decision makers again, as much as I don't like smoking itself it really only hurts the ones doing it, especially now the new laws are in place.
Old 09 December 2008, 06:34 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by PaulC72
TBH I think they should hide the booze too as it causes far more problems than smoking ever does, teenagers do not abuse people if they smoke but they usually do if they have been drinking and so on.

Misguided sentiments from the decision makers again, as much as I don't like smoking itself it really only hurts the ones doing it, especially now the new laws are in place.
They will probably get round to Booze too, followed by Non-diet juice, full fat milk, chocolate/sweets, unhealthy food and anything with an E number in it etc, So by 2020 all shops will be giant counters (with all the bad stuff under them) and a little corridor with a chiller cabinet which will only contain lettuce and bottles of spring water, you'll need a special license to buy anything else!
Old 09 December 2008, 06:43 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Your probably right Tam, damn that healthy food I always thought chocolate was healthy, I couldn't get my figure without it hehe.
Old 09 December 2008, 06:47 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

how can i say this without wanting to start an argument, but in a none argumentative way.

y do you smokers out there want ot smoke, yes its your right and i don't agree with not letting you do what you want. but i mean more to the point of when the damage caused by smoking is so widley known y would you want to carry on?
Old 09 December 2008, 07:00 PM
JonnyUK1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Its a good thing, it will make smokers feel like dirty little druggies. When you walk past someone smoking, look at them in disgust, if we can get the masses to think smoking is minging and vile, which it is, our children wont want to do it.
It's not illegal to smoke, it's my right to walk down the street smoking if i want to. If someone looked at me in disgust i'd be the first to ask them what their problem is.
Looking at smokers in disgust wil have no effect, you're as bad as that dippy bint on Jeremy Vines show today who seemed to think that banning them completely and only selling them via the N.H.S to "licenced smokers" is the solution to the problem

There is no way to stop smoking unless it's made illegal which, lets face it will never happen as the greedy government need the duty to fund other things like our superbly run imigration system
Old 09 December 2008, 07:30 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

lets just ban everything which could possibly harm or kill anyone!

Like LIFE!

Euthanasia at birth it is then!
Old 09 December 2008, 09:01 PM
Luke
BANNED

i think smokers deserve all the hassle they get. The world is not their private ash tray> I hate the way they just throw Them out of cars windows etc.

scum
Old 09 December 2008, 09:42 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I think they should ban McDonalds first

AllanB
Old 09 December 2008, 09:49 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Dirty stinky smokers! I think they should BAN them imho!

I favor the move to!
Old 09 December 2008, 09:50 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Luke
i think smokers deserve all the hassle they get. The world is not their private ash tray> I hate the way they just throw Them out of cars windows etc.

scum
In that case, maybe we should ban drinking, as some people have fights etc, or **** in the street after a few.

Maybe ban chewing gum, as some spit it on the street.

I could go on and on, but I really can't be bothered. Basically, I see where you are coming from, but try not to over generalise. Littering and smoking doesn't necessarily go hand in hand.
Old 09 December 2008, 10:05 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

You certainly do not like to be labelled do you Lisa
Old 09 December 2008, 10:06 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Dedrater
You certainly do not like to be labelled do you Lisa
Have you noticed?

Quick Reply: Ciggies - under the counter