Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bailiffs: keeping them away ?

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2008, 07:38 PM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bailiffs: keeping them away ?

Got home tonight to find 2 bailiffs banging on my neighbors door ( bit over dramatic style) Asked them who let them through the front door and got no reply. Then asked them to leave as they where on private property and had no right of entry without a warrant from a court etc.
They get a little bit 'heavy" etc but they leave .

Neighbor returned just now and is in a state as her ex has left her and done a bunk to Tunisia .She married him this year and has found out he owed a lot of money to a CC company way before she knew him.

she is worried that they want her to pay? why should she have to accept any liability for his debt?

she has no money etc and no folks to help.

And is worried they will take her things?

I have just written her a full receipt to say that she has sold all her stuff to me for £20,00 And i will rent it all back to her for a £1 a month. This will ensure they cannot touch anything in the flat. She is also sending a copy to the credit card company etc

why do they think she must pay? she never entered into any legal contract with them etc. Is is right ? they must get the money from him as he owes it and was not even with her when he used the cards etc

cheers

Last edited by Luke; 09 December 2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09 December 2008, 07:47 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Keep off my fecking land, under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken. I shall also be making a formal statement to the Police given your recent conduct.

Yours...
Old 09 December 2008, 07:49 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

They cant take any of her stuff unless she defaults on a CCJ and then a magistrate issues a warrant, if she has heard nothing from ant court, then no problem.
Old 09 December 2008, 07:49 PM
Luke
BANNED

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Keep off my fecking land, under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken. I shall also be making a formal statement to the Police given your recent conduct.

Yours...

your too good for this site !! make your way over to "22b" !

cheers

Luke
Old 09 December 2008, 07:50 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Oh by the way, if her other half has debts, this does not automatically mean they are hers as well because they are married, if they are in his name (not joint accounts etc) then this has nothing to do with her.
Old 09 December 2008, 07:51 PM
Luke
BANNED

Again ,Thanks
Old 09 December 2008, 08:50 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I thought you couldn't do all that selling to someone else for a nominal fee stuff thesedays, especially if its done after the baliffs turn up

AFAIK, Baliffs can gain entry if a door or window is unlocked and open

If you invite them in when they knock and you are in, they only need one foot over the threshhold and after that they can force entry at any time whether you are in or not

Council appointed baliffs apparently have much more legal clout that your standard baliffs, so the above may only apply to council appointed baliffs

If the house is in his name and their are possessions in his name then I assume that they are legally entitled to recover those posessions to repay the debt owed

I guess it would also depend on what the debt is, Council Tax, Credit Card, Loans, Hire Purchase, Mortgage Default

I know you mentioned that he owed a lot to a CC company but he may owe more than that

Not a nice situation to be left in at all, I would suggest your neighbour seeks legal advice immediately, Citizens Advice would be a good start and don't delay at all, Baliffs can be quite intimidating
Old 09 December 2008, 09:12 PM
Luke
BANNED

Originally Posted by Sonic'
I thought you couldn't do all that selling to someone else for a nominal fee stuff thesedays, especially if its done after the baliffs turn up

Back dated to last week ! And its a legal contract of sale, She has the perfect right to sell at any price to me. I have the right to rent back to her.

AFAIK, Baliffs can gain entry if a door or window is unlocked and open

If you invite them in when they knock and you are in, they only need one foot over the threshhold and after that they can force entry at any time whether you are in or not

How can they prove? do they need video evidence? And if so do they need her/our permission to film on private property?

she told me its only Credit card stuff. About £10k all in his name.

Council appointed baliffs apparently have much more legal clout that your standard baliffs, so the above may only apply to council appointed baliffs

If the house is in his name and their are possessions in his name then I assume that they are legally entitled to recover those posessions to repay the debt owed

I guess it would also depend on what the debt is, Council Tax, Credit Card, Loans, Hire Purchase, Mortgage Default

I know you mentioned that he owed a lot to a CC company but he may owe more than that

Not a nice situation to be left in at all, I would suggest your neighbour seeks legal advice immediately, Citizens Advice would be a good start and don't delay at all, Baliffs can be quite intimidating
most of them tend these days to work for good companies and know if they step out of line they are in trouble. Also i dont get "intimidated" .

The fact is they entered private property without asking and if they continue i will just keep telling them to "F-O" Or block their car in if they use our private car park. Could be fun to see them walk home !!!

I hate these types. Buying debt for peanuts (I guess they bought it for about a £1K ) and then trying to hassle everyone. The way they where banging her door was almost as if they wanted everyone to know they where there. My other neighbor is a nurse and was sleeping. I work funny hours also and dont need this aggro. But we all get on here and try and help
Old 09 December 2008, 09:15 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I have just written her a full receipt to say that she has sold all her stuff to me for £20,00 And i will rent it all back to her for a £1 a month.
Nice, I like it Would this hold up under scrutiny?
Old 09 December 2008, 09:25 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Not correct, a warrant (distress, liability etc) or warrant of execution still needs to be issued by a court for any money owed to anyone.

Creditors do send 'representatives' or any other stupid names the company may think up, to 'have a word' with the person owing the debt, aka intimidation tactics 'but' you are within your right to detain said people using 'reasonable force' until the Police arrive, they have no powers to enter your home and seize any goods.

In any case, no bailiff can force entry into your house (exempt are the Inland Revenue) A bailiff cannot force their way past you if you answer the door and if your doors/windows are locked they can not gain entry that way.

AFAIK, Baliffs can gain entry if a door or window is unlocked and open.

Agree to the above two comments, with the first being "IF" they have a warrant.

Last edited by Dedrater; 09 December 2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09 December 2008, 09:26 PM
Luke
BANNED

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Nice, I like it Would this hold up under scrutiny?
Why should it be questioned? They belong to her and no one has any legal claim to them.She is free to sell as she pleases and at a price that suits her.

Each item is detailed and any serial numbers noted. So if they make any attempt to remove the police can be called and they can be arrested as it can be proved they where told in writing .So have no right to touch or take what belongs legally to me.
Old 09 December 2008, 09:28 PM
Luke
BANNED

why did i spell Neighbour without a "u" ? !!
Old 09 December 2008, 09:28 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Is the building in her name then Luke?
Old 09 December 2008, 09:34 PM
Luke
BANNED

No. she rents Apartment like all of us. Poor girl married a wally I think he just wanted to get a UK passport etc. The money he used to build part of a house he owns in Tunisia. She is having issues as she is not sure what to do if she comes home and these guys are "waiting" ?
Old 09 December 2008, 09:34 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

A very important issue missed in the above replies regards 'walking posession'. If they can see goods to levy on through an open door or through a window (or even through the letter box), then they can take walking posession. They can then return and do whatever they need to do to get access to the goods in order to remove them.

On a seperate note; do you think that Alan will leave SN and go to 22B now?
Old 09 December 2008, 09:35 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If they are waiting then she asks them to leave. If they dont leave then she calls the police via the three nines service.
Old 09 December 2008, 09:35 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
http://www.dominoestoys.co.uk/dynami...99%20RM002.jpg
Old 09 December 2008, 09:43 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
A very important issue missed in the above replies regards 'walking posession'. If they can see goods to levy on through an open door or through a window (or even through the letter box), then they can take walking posession. They can then return and do whatever they need to do to get access to the goods in order to remove them.

Not correct, a bailiff needs to have gained peaceful entry to the property to issue one of these.

Who is Alan.
Old 09 December 2008, 09:46 PM
Luke
BANNED

[QUOTE=GC8;8335725]A very important issue missed in the above replies regards 'walking posession'. If they can see goods to levy on through an open door or through a window (or even through the letter box), then they can take walking posession. They can then return and do whatever they need to do to get access to the goods in order to remove them.

Going to wait for someone else to question your thoughts !

How the hell could they ever prove anything?
Old 09 December 2008, 09:48 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8

Although I didn't call it walking posession, I did say that they can gain entry without permission if a door or window is left open

Old 09 December 2008, 09:48 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

is that possibly the point
Old 09 December 2008, 09:52 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Rather worringly, youre right. Especially when you consider that it was a council bailiff that used to take walking posession on people TVs that he saw through the letter box, who told me...

This is a useful link that I usually show people who have questions about bailiffs and their authority:
Debt Basics - Bailiff Guide - know your rights
Old 09 December 2008, 09:53 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I think the best thing is for the OPs neighbour to do is read the Governments own 'self help' pages in regards to the matter, which is direct.gov>>

Bailiffs and debt collectors : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits
Old 10 December 2008, 11:11 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

When they send the snoops around with their digital cameras to revalue our houses for more council tax, I understand that they will have right of entry.

Les
Old 10 December 2008, 11:35 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Rule of thumb is - If its council tax, or a CCJ, then you are obliged to talk to them/let them in.

If it is a for an unsecured debt, then you can tell them to **** off.
Old 10 December 2008, 11:39 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luke
Got home tonight to find 2 bailiffs banging on my neighbors door ( bit over dramatic style) Asked them who let them through the front door and got no reply. Then asked them to leave as they where on private property and had no right of entry without a warrant from a court etc.
They get a little bit 'heavy" etc but they leave .

Neighbor returned just now and is in a state as her ex has left her and done a bunk to Tunisia .She married him this year and has found out he owed a lot of money to a CC company way before she knew him.

she is worried that they want her to pay? why should she have to accept any liability for his debt?

she has no money etc and no folks to help.

And is worried they will take her things?

I have just written her a full receipt to say that she has sold all her stuff to me for £20,00 And i will rent it all back to her for a £1 a month. This will ensure they cannot touch anything in the flat. She is also sending a copy to the credit card company etc

why do they think she must pay? she never entered into any legal contract with them etc. Is is right ? they must get the money from him as he owes it and was not even with her when he used the cards etc

cheers
Met on the 'Net?
Old 10 December 2008, 11:42 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Rule of thumb is - If its council tax, or a CCJ, then you are obliged to talk to them/let them in.

If it is a for an unsecured debt, then you can tell them to **** off.

Only if they have a court order and ONLY if an order is served.
Old 10 December 2008, 11:42 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Oh by the way, if her other half has debts, this does not automatically mean they are hers as well because they are married, if they are in his name (not joint accounts etc) then this has nothing to do with her.

Correctamundo

If the debts are in his name (i.e. his name only is on the credit agreement), then the debts are NOTHING to do with her.

The only time this may change is if he dies, the cc company become a creditor in his estate, and she's adminstering his estate, it may have an implication on her.
Old 10 December 2008, 01:48 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your neighbour doesn't need to open the door to them. They have no right of entry. If they call again, they could be in breach of section 40 of the "Administration of Justice act 1970" and may have committed a criminal offence under section 2 of the "Protection from harassment act 1997"
Most bailiffs will overstep the mark when it comes to their legal rights. They will almost certainly lead people to believe they have more powers than the law provides for them.
Old 10 December 2008, 07:20 PM
Luke
BANNED

Scoobynet to the rescue again !

Many many thanks lads.