Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buying a car using Paypal

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2008, 02:16 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Buying a car using Paypal

If you bought a car using paypal to transfer the money could you pull the money back afterwards?

The reason I ask is that I used paypal to buy my Jeep back in January as the banks were closed and I had to pick up on a Sunday. The guy I bought it off was happy to do this and paid the fees.

Over christmas I'm going to look at some cars and was thinking of doing the same - I don't want to be carting the cash around with me. Problem is some people may be put off using Paypal because of the fear that the money can be taken back off them and they are without money and the car.

Is it possible to do so? I'm not going to do that obviously but if I say to someone its impossible to take the money back off you once its transfered I don't want to be lying.
Old 10 December 2008, 02:22 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure, I've sold a car and taken money via paypal before, it was a cheap car though. I wouldn't do it on anything xpensive as I would be concerned about the risks.
Old 10 December 2008, 02:23 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Its only like an online bank account, if you credit the funds to paypal you should be able to get it back but cant you set it up that you dont credit paypal? The way I use it is if I pay say £100 via paypal they just take it straight out of my account rather than you having to pay them etc...
Old 10 December 2008, 05:22 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Given paypals new move to hold funds for up to 21 days "to prevent fraud" and that you can screw things up further with a few mouse clicks by raising a dispute, - not received, not as described etc - Im surprised anyone would accept paypal for a car, especially if its sold though ebay.

I wouldnt even consider it myself.