Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

nearest steam railway to Northampton - take the kids on during the x-mas hols

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2008, 04:28 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question nearest steam railway to Northampton - take the kids on during the x-mas hols

Can anyone reccommend one with 30-40 miles of Northampton?
Old 10 December 2008, 05:40 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Shoot him ^
Old 10 December 2008, 06:19 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Blimey, I would have suggested the Brampton one, but never knew about the other ones and I live close to all of them. (Must be a geek thing!)

Not heard of the Irchester Country Park one, do tell
Old 10 December 2008, 06:21 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

there is Great Central Railway at Loughborough: Special Events | Great Central Railway
Old 10 December 2008, 06:52 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

From memory the Loughborough one is better. My uncle used to drive one of the trains there

The one at Brampton is basically, growns up playing with a big train set. I once spent the best past of £20 to go backwards on forward on "Thomas"

Last edited by davyboy; 10 December 2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10 December 2008, 07:30 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

The Great Central at Loughborough is the only preserved railway currently operating a double track main line, and is home to an impressive collection of former express locomotives
Old 11 December 2008, 01:06 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

is didcot too far?? they have some special events coming up including thomas the tank engine rides to see santa..?
Didcot Railway Centre | Events | Calendar of Events#
Old 11 December 2008, 01:19 AM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

Didcot.... thats oxford only bout 45 min drive from Northampton

Is Ferry Meadows still there? God remember that from a young age Didn't know they still had trains down Irchy county park never even got to see them working wen was little well gutted lol
Old 11 December 2008, 08:59 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Went to Didcot many years ago when i lived in Witney nr Oxford.

Severn Valley Railway is probably about hour and a half away from you but we went in the summer. Enjoyable day.

My inlaws live near Keighley in West Yorkshire. I'm hoping to go have a visit while we are up there for xmas.

Theres a little one near me in West Wales. Its a very small line but good enough for a steam fix - although I'm a modern diesel man myself

Last edited by EddScott; 11 December 2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11 December 2008, 09:03 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

My Dad's been involved with the Brampton/Pitsford railway ever since the Northampton-Market Harborough line closed. I remember travelling on the last ever BR passenger train back in about 1980-something (he's still got a large framed photograph of the event). They held a big public meeting at Nene College Kingsthorpe to gather support for re-opening the whole 18 mile stretch (I remember going there as a 10 or so year old as the pillion passenger on a Suzuki 600 ), but this was soon knocked on the head when the MH council took the railway bridge away that leads that route into MH station. There were also some high maintenance tunnels to contend with. The route became a cycle/dog-walking path.

Thereafter followed years of problems , and diminishing support, until they finally got to where they are now. I have to be brutally honest but I still don't find it very impressive. During my childhood my Dad would take me to places like Severn Valley, Keighley & Worth Valley, North York Moors, Torbay, GCR, Nene Valley all of which had a decent stretch of track for the trains to use. Brampton's only got about 2 miles, despite long-term plans for more, so it's not much of an experience.

Having said all that you have to admire their dedication. My Dad travels up from West Wales to help out as a volunteer during the feature events (like the ever-popular Thomas weekends). He also has a half-share in one of the locomotives being restored there (an old tank engine called Colwyn from Corby steelworks), so often spends time up there getting his hands dirty.

I'm probably going to give the Nene Valley Railway a go this winter: I haven't been on it since I was a nipper, and now I have 2 of my own!
Old 11 December 2008, 09:20 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo2

Snip!
Whats Keighley and Worth like? Worth a visit?

Your father is in West Wales? Does he ever visit the Gwilli Railway? Only been the once even though its down the road. Short track but a good day none the less.
Old 11 December 2008, 10:35 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

How about:-
Nene Valley Railway - Britain's International Steam Railway
Old 11 December 2008, 11:10 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Whats Keighley and Worth like? Worth a visit?

Your father is in West Wales? Does he ever visit the Gwilli Railway? Only been the once even though its down the road. Short track but a good day none the less.
He lives in Hermon, near Crymych. He has visited the Gwilli Railway, although I haven't, but I did take the family on a narrow gauge one (Teifi Valley Railway) near Newcastle Emlyn this August. That one's a bit too diddy for me though.

As for K&WVR, the only time I've visited was probably 25 years ago, so I'm probably not the best person to ask! I think it's only about 5 miles long, compared to about 15 miles for the Severn Valley or 18 miles for the North York Moors.