Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dang, maybe I've done the wrong thing...

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2008, 08:52 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face Dang, maybe I've done the wrong thing...

Was at the local Tesco Express, grabbing some milk and bread, after work.
On my way out, just near the doors I spotted a credit card on the floor, so, without thinking I grabbed it, turned around, walked up to the counter and explained that I'd found said card on the floor and that someone would probably come back to look for it.

The two Indian/Pakistani/Sri Lankan guys looked very pleased, said thanks and that was it.

I was just thinking that, with the amount of fraud that goes on, particularly at petrol stations, maybe I should have just taken it to the nearest plod station and handed it in there, or, failing that, sent it to the bank that owned the card.

Now, before anyone says, the race of the guys in question isn't really super relevant but seeing as I hear of asian gangs doing this sort of thing, I thought I'd mention it.

What would you ladies and gents have done, and do you think I did the right thing?

Cheers,

Tom
Old 18 December 2008, 08:55 PM
staffs Mike
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have probably done the same thing due to not wanting to put a lot of effort in tbh.

What you could do now is tell the plod what you did so at least they know, but it would probably be better if you had the name of the person who's it was/is.
Old 18 December 2008, 08:57 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is problen being empted as we type

my card got money taken out in india the other week, not a happy chappy
Old 18 December 2008, 08:58 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by staffs Mike
I'd have probably done the same thing due to not wanting to put a lot of effort in tbh.

What you could do is the reverse. Tell the plod what you did so at least they know, but it would probably be better if you had the name of the person who's it was/is.
Yeah, didn't really look at the name but that would have been an idea.

I think Nat and you hit the nail on the head, I shoulda just cut the thing up and all woulda been ok. Darn

Sods law is, I bet I would have been pulled by ze fuzz on the way home, with the card in my pocket and a lot of explaining to do, it would be just my luck
Old 18 December 2008, 09:00 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Awesome-ness! I think I'll have two bottles of this please
Old 18 December 2008, 09:02 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaOne

Not good mate, hope you get the cash back in doubletime
Old 18 December 2008, 09:09 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaOne

Me mum had the same thing done. 2 days AFTER Barclays called her to say they had frozen the card as they had detected fraudulant use in India.

At the same time I had my card cloned, and lots of random spends in it in Fulham Tesco and Wood Green VUE Cinema.

PS, spur of the moment, I prob would have handed it in too, then wondered.
Old 18 December 2008, 09:13 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
PS, spur of the moment, I prob would have handed it in too, then wondered.
Aye, that was precisely what it was, a spur of the moment decision. I need a De Lorean or an edit function for real life, similar to Scoobynets

I did nearly get run over as well by a woman who was on the way out, as I thought it might have been hers and flagged her down before she left the forecourt. Think she thought I was gonna 'jack' her
Old 18 December 2008, 09:21 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i would of gone on a spending spree lol ..............................joke .

even though it was done to me , i couldnt do it to someone else
Old 18 December 2008, 09:47 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
i would of gone on a spending spree lol ..............................joke .

even though it was done to me , i couldnt do it to someone else
Yeah, I'm just waiting for it to be my turn, so far I've been lucky/careful where I spend on my card, thankfully.
Old 18 December 2008, 10:18 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I would have called the number on the back reported it found and collected the reward but hey ho you did the right thing
Old 18 December 2008, 10:20 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
I would have called the number on the back reported it found and collected the reward but hey ho you did the right thing
wtf!!!?!?!? rewards!!!!? They do that?

Damn, bugger, blast, ****, shoite!!!!
Old 19 December 2008, 12:00 AM
G-string
Scooby Regular

You couldnt win really mate, would have done the same in your position though.
Old 19 December 2008, 05:36 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Once found one in Smiths. I showed it to the checkout girl, told her I was going to take it up to the Yorkshire Bank, (the issuer), and dropped it off on them 10 minutes later.

Thought I'd better mention it to the girl in the shop in case she saw me pick it up
Old 19 December 2008, 07:55 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to say it, but the petrol station attendants are the worst for cloning cards.

My wife had both of her bank cards cloned at our old BP.

And only 3 days ago I was checking my UK bank account on line and found I had been spanked for £1200 from canadian ATM's !! and one small amount from the bloody petrol station, not bad considering we've been in Oz for the past 6 weeks.

My guess is his mates in Canada realised we were unaware, as they took money out over 5 days and told the guys back in London, so they started using it ther as well, but at their place of work, how cocky !!, thankfully all the money has been credited back to our account, so much for chip and pin.

The thing that really got me was the attitude of the staff at the Halifax, couldn't give a **** really and there were other withdrawls that I couldn't see on line which were pending which they didnt even bring to my attention, also from Canadiam ATM's, I only found out once I said please cancel my overdraft as I dont want that being hammered as well only to be told I was already overdrawn which were the pending amounts.

I would have thought they could have put 2 and 2 together, and to top it off the number to call from abroad is a premium rate number, I asked for a normal number to call back on only to told they only had premium rate lines, utter bollox, talk about making money out of our misery, good old British customer service
Old 19 December 2008, 10:25 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

For reason stated above I try to use cash as often as possible. Not hard with so many ATMs about. Plus the Labour stasi cant pick up on my habits
Old 19 December 2008, 11:27 AM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G-string
You couldnt win really mate, would have done the same in your position though.
Cheers fella, I still feel guilty. Nowt I can do about it now though
Old 19 December 2008, 11:31 AM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Sorry to say it, but the petrol station attendants are the worst for cloning cards.

My wife had both of her bank cards cloned at our old BP.

And only 3 days ago I was checking my UK bank account on line and found I had been spanked for £1200 from canadian ATM's !! and one small amount from the bloody petrol station, not bad considering we've been in Oz for the past 6 weeks.

My guess is his mates in Canada realised we were unaware, as they took money out over 5 days and told the guys back in London, so they started using it ther as well, but at their place of work, how cocky !!, thankfully all the money has been credited back to our account, so much for chip and pin.

The thing that really got me was the attitude of the staff at the Halifax, couldn't give a **** really and there were other withdrawls that I couldn't see on line which were pending which they didnt even bring to my attention, also from Canadiam ATM's, I only found out once I said please cancel my overdraft as I dont want that being hammered as well only to be told I was already overdrawn which were the pending amounts.

I would have thought they could have put 2 and 2 together, and to top it off the number to call from abroad is a premium rate number, I asked for a normal number to call back on only to told they only had premium rate lines, utter bollox, talk about making money out of our misery, good old British customer service
Sorry to hear of your woes

Yep, blast it, I've heard of that very scheme by gangs. Steal cards here, use in Canada

Banks and good customer service are usually 2 things that never go together as far as I've heard on here and from friends/family. First Direct have been great for me so far but I wonder what they would be like in the event of card cloning etc. I hope I never find out!

Has anyone had this unfortunate experience when banking with FD?
Old 19 December 2008, 11:36 AM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Once found one in Smiths. I showed it to the checkout girl, told her I was going to take it up to the Yorkshire Bank, (the issuer), and dropped it off on them 10 minutes later.

Thought I'd better mention it to the girl in the shop in case she saw me pick it up
I really wish I had just done that, was knackered from supervising the Polish lads and lasses at work, brain was in shutdown mode
Old 19 December 2008, 11:37 AM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan W
For reason stated above I try to use cash as often as possible. Not hard with so many ATMs about. Plus the Labour stasi cant pick up on my habits
Yeah, I bet the profile they have on me is pretty interesting