Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Charity donation requests on TV!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2008, 12:23 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Charity donation requests on TV!!!!

Now I am all for giving where I can. I donate monthly to Cancer Research and and an Animal Sanctuary. They are donations I chose to make.

I just saw an advert tonight from the Salvation Army asking for, wait for it. £19. Since when have they said how much they want

I always thought and still do, it should be a matter of choice, not how much.

Puts me off donating, even though it is a good cause.

Thoughts!!!
Old 29 December 2008, 12:30 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

What put me off donating to the larger charities years ago was when I saw a job advert for a Fund raising co-ordinator at £60k!

I donate to the local hospice and the local animal sanctuary, not just financial but in time as well!
Old 29 December 2008, 12:33 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Old 29 December 2008, 12:42 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Nat21
Just because they are charities it does not mean they don't pay market rates for professionals. It's even more important for them to attract the absolute best employees so they can produce the best results for the charity. If they employed plebs on 20k they wouldn't raise much money would they.
Maybe so, but to ask for a certain amount of money tants amount to arrogance in my book. Hence I will not donate.

They are then not worth their 60k a year
Old 29 December 2008, 12:44 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

not quite 60k but close

Charity Fundraising Jobs

fair point they have to pay for professionals, but i'd rather not give to charities who employees take larger wages.. on principal

Also this "Only £10 pounds a month" adverts on TV is akin to "got a £1 for a cup of tea" surely asking for donations from the public should be down to what they can afford. Or are people so thick they have to be told how much to give

Trending Topics

Old 29 December 2008, 12:48 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by mykp
not quite 60k but close

Charity Fundraising Jobs

fair point they have to pay for professionals, but i'd rather not give to charities who employees take larger wages.. on principal

Also this "Only £10 pounds a month" adverts on TV is akin to "got a £1 for a cup of tea" surely asking for donations from the public should be down to what they can afford. Or are people so thick they have to be told how much to give

Nail on head

I am of the opinion, giving is what you want to give and can afford to give, happily. Not being told what is expected you should give
Old 29 December 2008, 12:59 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Nat21
I agree that you should give what you want and it is wrong to ask for certain quite (relatively high) monthly amounts.

I can guarantee though that a lot of the fund raisers at the larger charities like Cancer Research etc are on comission too and a lot of their higher staff will be taking home 50-100k pa. Completely fair imo and encourages them to raise more.

Jesus.

So some ****** on up to 100k tells us to donate £19 to the homeless, while he/she goes home to their luxury flat/house. How much acutally goes to the homeless. And, more to the point, how much do they donate?

It all smells a bit to me
Old 29 December 2008, 01:18 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 84of300
Yep, my friends wife worked for a charity and they were paid a fortune and it opened my eyes too She had morals and left with a bitter taste after what she had seen

Last edited by Paulo P; 29 December 2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old 29 December 2008, 08:10 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

60k plus free holidays!
Old 29 December 2008, 08:25 AM
Luke
BANNED

Salvation Army.....check out their bank balance and then ask them why they need money!! they are so property rich its unreal .

A old friends mother was the UK top jewish fund raiser. she pulled in tens of millions. she was on about £130000.00 plus expenses.

My Mother left Oxfam as she could not stand how huge amounts of money where been spent on 1st class flights and nice cars etc .
Old 29 December 2008, 08:33 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

My mum went to to her bit for charity - saw some place where they were basically cleaning folks houses that were unable to do it themselves.

Went along for an Interview.

Long and short of it was that the folk that were going to have my Mum clean their house were having to pay the "charity" for the service.

This was to cover the charity's "expenses".

The woman who was expecting my Mum to do her bit for nothing was being paid by the folk she was supposed to be helping .

We also give to Cancer charities - however my good nature was severley tested when some **** kept ring up my wife with the hard sell telling her that she would need to make regular donations to help them budget for the year
Old 29 December 2008, 08:39 AM
Luke
BANNED

REMEMBER : most charity collections been made in high streets etc are done by marketing companies who keep about 70-80 %

i never ever give now to charities. we have a Government to take care of stuff like that. why should my local school etc beg for a computer etc ?

Charities earn huge amounts.... Go and check out "cancer research" places in London. they must be worth hundreds of millions
Old 29 December 2008, 08:55 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

this site goes to show how much some charities earn and spend

Charity overview
Old 29 December 2008, 11:51 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I adopted an African school in July.....Still waiting for it to arrive! rip off if you ask me, Should have donated through pay pal I could have opened a dispute.
Old 29 December 2008, 11:52 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

My father refuse ever to donate to the Salvation Army after they refused to allow their band to play at the cenotaph in protest against the situation in the then Rhodesia.

he knew quite a few Rhodesians who gave their lives for this country in WW2 flying in Lancasters.