Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Does TripAdvisor.com do your head in?

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2008, 10:33 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does TripAdvisor.com do your head in?

One person says a hotel is fabulous whilst another says its a death trap. One finds the staff fab and the other thinks they are axe murderers! The site is utterly unhelpful for deciding where to stay!!!

This is also after working out who works there and is posting reviews and who is a genuine traveller who has paid to stay there ! Then add the tolerance of the Brits versus some of the ludicrous, petty comments of some North Americans who have never left an air-conditioned room on their own

Arghhh!!!

D
Old 29 December 2008, 10:56 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I guess it's because people will only be bothered to post on there if they've had a terrific or dreadful experience.

For me it's the balance - as long as there are a lot more positives then stay clear.

Gordo
Old 29 December 2008, 11:10 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
One person says a hotel is fabulous whilst another says its a death trap. One finds the staff fab and the other thinks they are axe murderers! The site is utterly unhelpful for deciding where to stay!!!

This is also after working out who works there and is posting reviews and who is a genuine traveller who has paid to stay there ! Then add the tolerance of the Brits versus some of the ludicrous, petty comments of some North Americans who have never left an air-conditioned room on their own

Arghhh!!!

D
Yes I've found exactly the same thing, it drives me crazy. I think I've decided on where to go and then one person will say the place is a complete dive infested with flesh eating rats and waiters who would rape your daughter and I'm back to square one!

The things some people complain about though is amazing. People complaining about flies in africa, heat in dubai and even the size of the grains of sand on a beach (I kid you not)
Old 29 December 2008, 11:11 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Yes you are probably right mate. I have turned into an editor who is sifting the nitpickers from the real axe grinders from the honeymooners!!! Here's one:

ROOMS:
- The shower between 4-6pm works really poorly, it might be because it is when most people get off the beach the freshen up.
- Our water would go from cold, warm, and hot over and over again, so we would be having surprises every few minutes of the shower
- Our hot water didn't work at first
- The power of the showerhead is powerful and nice only when it's working
- The power went out for about 30 minutes in one of the nights

God give me strength and can these people stay at home instead - or maybe just go to a Marriott in Florida paying 5 times more???!!!

D
Old 29 December 2008, 11:12 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Ohh and she says the pizza bases are thin in the Italian restaurant - but that's fine, if you like thin. LOL

D
Old 30 December 2008, 08:40 AM
ChrisB

We have a general rule of thumb on TA to ignore any comments written by Americans. One review slated a hotel, which was in a old building (100s of years old), for not having a lift
Old 30 December 2008, 08:45 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol I love checking out the reviews when I get back too, just to see how over dramatic people have been. Although some reviews have been proper time savers.

Im only usually interested that im not gonna get ill, I will be able to sleep, and I can have a warm bath/shower.

Whenever there are more than a couple of paragraphs about the place its clear the person has got far too emotional about it all, so probably gonna write a bad review lol.

TA is good, but best taken with a handful of salt.
Old 30 December 2008, 09:20 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I like TA and find it useful when looking for hotels, I alsways try to ignore any other than the UK comments as the Americans are way too fussy, I try to base my judgement on the first 10 comments generally and try to proportion the good and bad and also check out the reviewers pictures.

I also try and cross reference it against other review sites for backup.

It is a ball ache looking at hotel reviews lol.
Old 30 December 2008, 09:50 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I find TA a real PITA, I tend to read a few reviews then dismiss them all
Old 30 December 2008, 10:23 AM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

I think TA gives you a rough idea if a hotel is going to any good. If a hotel is good you normally get 90% good comments then a couple of moany ***** who are never pleased even if it was perfect
Old 30 December 2008, 11:35 AM
Jer
Scooby Regular

I have named and shamed a few awful places. I once took photos of a really moldy shower room and posted it on trip adviser.