Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hacked Ebay & MSN

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2008, 09:09 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hacked Ebay & MSN

Some bast*rd hacked into my eBay and MSN account (teach me to use the same password )
They had been listing items, luckily I found it really quickly and blocked my account . They even changed my alternate email addresses and passwords etc so I couldn’t do anything I had to fax eBay my ID to get them to send things to an alternate email address as they were just sending the new passwords etc to my MSN account which the gits had access to
No money has been taken or used anywhere so I don’t understand what the scam was or how they got in unless it was an internal eBay hack.
Keep your eyes open people
Old 30 December 2008, 09:45 AM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

my daughter's msn & bebo accounts got hacked, possibly by one of her school "friends", when she tried to reset her bebo password it sent her to her grannies page, maybe with a combination of her grannies account and her page we could of fixed her password but she wouldn't let me look at it but she would listen when I tried to explain this so I just let her huff for a while and eventually she just created a new page.

windyboy
Old 30 December 2008, 11:30 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

MSN as in live messenger? As there have been a few viruses sent through that. They can capture login details, install keyloggers all sorts of stuff.

Usual advice applies. Be careful what you click on....
Old 30 December 2008, 11:34 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Hacked" is thrown around too easily.. anyone that could Hack eBay or MSN wouldn't ! It'll be as Luminous said, so script kiddie with a Trojan !
Old 30 December 2008, 11:39 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
"Hacked" is thrown around too easily.. anyone that could Hack eBay or MSN wouldn't ! It'll be as Luminous said, so script kiddie with a Trojan !
Using a key logger/Trojan to access other peoples accounts is a form of hacking is it not
How it got in I don't know and I cant find any trace of it.
I am not a novice computer user so what ever it was fairly clever.
Old 30 December 2008, 11:43 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbaz
Using a key logger/Trojan to access other peoples accounts is a form of hacking is it not
How it got in I don't know and I cant find any trace of it.
I am not a novice computer user so what ever it was fairly clever.
No, I wouldn't say so .. well not in my opinion.. technically I guess it is .. I've just seen what real Hackers can do and I don't think this idiots deserve the privilege of being grouped in with highly skilled people..

Also real Hackers do it for knowledge and nothing else ! or thats how it used to be.

a programmer for whom computing is its own reward; may enjoy the challenge of breaking into other computers but does no harm; "true hackers subscribe to a code of ethics and look down upon crackers"
Old 30 December 2008, 12:39 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
No, I wouldn't say so .. well not in my opinion.. technically I guess it is .. I've just seen what real Hackers can do and I don't think this idiots deserve the privilege of being grouped in with highly skilled people..

Also real Hackers do it for knowledge and nothing else ! or thats how it used to be.
A hacker is a geek term in IT these days - I consider myself a hacker as I like to tinker with software and hardware (building crazy **** like a LCD display for my PC case to show Winamp etc).

It's for knowledge, not the "e-Status" that a lot of these kids go for now. Most security hacks tend to be done by people you know i.e family and friends.

Best thing to do is keep your MSN account details seperate, use another email address if you need to so if anyone does get to it, your entire life history is not there.

And keep your PC clean, use things like Spybot Search & Destroy, Ewido Antispyware and a decent Antivirus app (not Norton, its a load of ****e)