Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Nice controversial one:

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2009, 10:19 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice controversial one:

Graham Stringer, Labour MP, Claims Dyslexia Is A Myth Invented To Cover Up Bad Teaching | Politics | Sky News

I bet this one goes 50/50
Old 14 January 2009, 10:20 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Im sure dyslexia is a real condition but anyone who seems to have any sort of difficulty seems to be diagnosed with it nowadays
Old 14 January 2009, 10:21 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I've never been tempted to vote Labour more than right now
Old 14 January 2009, 10:30 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

There is a dyslexia bandwagon for sure, and its the first card played when anybody gets pulled on spelling.
Over on Barryboys the swear filter changes "dyslexia" to "lazy **** syndrome".

Thing is genuine dyslexia a real bastid, there should be a card issued by the doctors upon diagnosis to stop the jumpers-on said bandwagon.
Old 14 January 2009, 10:35 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Im sure dyslexia is a real condition but anyone who seems to have any sort of difficulty seems to be diagnosed with it nowadays
Exactly.

Twenty years ago no kids seemed to have any of these fancy 'conditions' now they all have dyslexia, dyspraxia, Aspergers, Tourette's, ADD etc. etc.

Got to agree with Graham Stringer on this one for the main although it goes further than that as it is also an excuse for bad parenting IMO.

Not saying there aren't genuine cases, but for the most part it's almost like people can't wait to make excuses for their kids and consequently themselves.

My sister in law has a child with an attention disorder. In my opinion the kid just needs some discipline, but no, now she is labelled with a 'condition' she has carte blanche to behave like a spoilt brat. Needless to say I just avoid that section of the family.
Old 14 January 2009, 10:36 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Hmm, a friend of mine who is a Cambridge graduate and engineer has dyslexia. I don't think it can be attributed to poor teaching skills as far as he's concerned.

I myself have a slight problem with numbers, I often read them in the wrong order and find writing a long series of numbers down quite difficult. I'm absolutely hopeless at taking down a number over the phone, I have to check it back very carefully. It's a nightmare for me doing my accounts hence why I have a bookkeeper do it for me
Old 14 January 2009, 10:37 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Exactly.

Twenty years ago no kids seemed to have any of these fancy 'conditions' now they all have dyslexia, dyspraxia, Aspergers, Tourette's, ADD etc. etc.

Got to agree with Graham Stringer on this one for the main although it goes further than that as it is also an excuse for bad parenting IMO.

Not saying there aren't genuine cases, but for the most part it's almost like people can't wait to make excuses for their kids and consequently themselves.
agreed!
Old 14 January 2009, 10:39 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
Hmm, a friend of mine who is a Cambridge graduate and engineer has dyslexia. I don't think it can be attributed to poor teaching skills as far as he's concerned.

I myself have a slight problem with numbers, I often read them in the wrong order and find writing a long series of numbers down quite difficult. I'm absolutely hopeless at taking down a number over the phone, I have to check it back very carefully. It's a nightmare for me doing my accounts hence why I have a bookkeeper do it for me

But isn't that actually misappropriation of nerve signals not reaching the correct neural destination, much like OCD
Old 14 January 2009, 10:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am not in a position to say since I am not qualified to do so. I do have a couple of friends who are officially dyslexic and there is no doubt that they have difficulty in "seeing" letters or words.

Although I would not doubt that it may well be used as an excuse by some for their laziness, I still am not prepared to say that is is an imaginary disability.

Les
Old 14 January 2009, 10:42 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
Over on Barryboys the swear filter changes "dyslexia" to "lazy **** syndrome".
Old 14 January 2009, 10:43 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
But isn't that actually misappropriation of nerve signals not reaching the correct neural destination, much like OCD
I have no idea It's not so much of an issue that I've ever bothered to do anything about it. At school I was always pretty good at maths as long as it was written down but I still can't do mental arithmetic very well. The numbers just get jumbled up in my head Algebra was my best subject probably because there were letters in it
Old 14 January 2009, 10:45 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

It reminded me of that million dollar traders on BBC the other night, when the guy procuring the interviews asked them a simple maths question of 32 x 32. Not one of them could manage it, and one worked as a shopkeeper.

Old 14 January 2009, 10:47 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick

I tend to write numbers in the wrong order, but I read them back correctly. Which is slightly odd. Only when I write, not type on a computer.

Steve
Old 14 January 2009, 11:52 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my Headmaster at primary school told my parents that i was dyslexic and would become nothing more than a bin-man. Also refused to let me sit the 11plus. Went onto secondary school and was near the top of my class on most subjects which quashed that the whole dyslexic thing and was put down to bad teaching at Primary. 4boys in my primary class all Dyslexic nuff said really
Old 14 January 2009, 11:59 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Does that mean you get to drive the lorry
Old 14 January 2009, 12:00 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Exactly.

Yes but that doesn't mean these conditions didn't exist, they just weren't diagnosed properly. 40 years ago rape victims & unmarried mothers were put in mental institutions, should we return to those times as well ??
Old 14 January 2009, 12:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a geniune and distressing thing but I can see the point, it is used as an excuse when the person is just poorly educated, lazy or thick.

I see that everything has a medical term nowadays, Dispraxia used to be called being a "Spaz" or a "Deacon"

Trouble is, you dress everything up, the genuine and also the self inflicted or lazy crapness as a medical term it makes it easier to hide behind, so rather than try and improve, its a godsend for the benefits generation, I cant work because little Johny has disparaxia, Asthma, suspected Asbergers, ADHD, obesity and mild dislexia, in other words you have over fed the kid on sh1te, not helped him learn, given him no attention and never played games with him other than on the Playstation.

Funny how kids during and after the war, despite very limited food were much healthier, I dont think despite advances our generations (as an average) will live as long as our grandparents.
Old 14 January 2009, 12:09 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The condition is real, but too often doctors incorrectly diagnose it or teachers use it as a label to excuse a child for underachieving.

I think ADD is another condition that often gets incorrectly labeled on normal, but unruly children.

I have problems with sequencing of letters, words and numbers (usually in algebraic formula). I can sometimes read a phrase six times over and not see a blatant error, only for someone like Telboy to point it out to me. Then it becomes shamefully obvious.

Mixing up "ie" and "ei" and your/you're is a bad habit of mine, as is incorrectly applying apostrophes. I often type sentences that makes absolutely no sense as it has the correct words, but everything is just mixed up. I do know the correct usage, but I don't always see the errors until someone shows it me.

I can assure people its alot worse knowing what is correct and not being able to see or recognise the errors, than it is to be just plain ignorant/stupid.
Old 14 January 2009, 12:12 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Formulae
Old 14 January 2009, 12:14 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I honestly knew that! I even spelt formula wrong and edited and still did not see it!
Old 14 January 2009, 12:18 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

I am certain it's not thicky mcdicky syndrome in your case, ali. Your posts are all from your head, technically accurate and nearly always helpful.

LOL @ tel, of all the threads
Old 14 January 2009, 12:22 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

online debate about to start!
Old 14 January 2009, 12:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I think wrong. I believe I think in a different langauge, and some things get screwed up in the translation from head to fingers. Like babelfish with bad spelling.

Weird thing is, I'm better when I'm drunk. Well, so I've been told at least, as I wouldn't be in a state to judge for myself.
Old 14 January 2009, 12:26 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

One advantage of being dyslexic is that it doesn't cost much to get a personal registration for your car.
Old 14 January 2009, 12:31 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Do you use a '2' for the 'Z' in LA2Y 1
Old 14 January 2009, 12:36 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

i complitloy disargrey, disloxia is nit a moth
Old 14 January 2009, 12:46 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Reminds me of the english gendarme in allo allo ^^
Old 14 January 2009, 12:48 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I
I see that everything has a medical term nowadays, Dispraxia used to be called being a "Spaz" or a "Deacon"
So funny!
Old 14 January 2009, 01:00 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Exactly.

My sister in law has a child with an attention disorder. In my opinion the kid just needs some discipline, but no, now she is labelled with a 'condition' she has carte blanche to behave like a spoilt brat. Needless to say I just avoid that section of the family.
My son is 10 years old it took the school 3 years to diagnose him as being dyslexic, they failed him badly. try telling him it doesn't exist when he was crying because he couldn't do his school work thinking he was stupid.
Graham Stringers comments are absurd and you are a total f**king PR*ck!!!! for agreeing with such stupidty.
"just needs a bit of dicsipline" What an idiot!!!
Old 14 January 2009, 01:05 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he has 'Head Up ****' syndrome.

Quick Reply: Nice controversial one: