San Francisco - Anyone been?

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2009, 10:32 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up San Francisco - Anyone been?

Looks like I'm off to San Francisco later in the year

Has anyone been who can recommend a great hotel ?
Found this
San Francisco - Omni San Francisco Hotel - Hotel Reviews and Photos - TripAdvisor

Have stayed at the Omni in Philadelphia and it was great - just around the corner from some shop trying to shift a big bell with a mahoosive crack in it!!

Obviously there is the Golden Gate Bridge and Yosemite National Park, goes without saying we'll "Do" them along with lots of fine seafood etc.

Anyone got any pearls of wisdom about "Must see, Must do" ?
Old 14 January 2009, 10:37 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Bank of America building for afternoon tea and views from the 55th floor.
Cable cars and the cable car museum.
Alcatraz.
Twin Peaks.
Tour of Chinatown and a meal.
Get up early, jet lag helps and walk the hills. Some fantastic photo opportunities.
*** Hill.

It's a great city.

Last edited by FlightMan; 14 January 2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 14 January 2009, 10:59 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

We're stopping in San Fran for 3 days on our way home in April.
Staying at the Westin St. Francis hotel.

Mates of mine have stayed there a few times and highly recommended it. Unfortunately, I know bugger all about it.

San Francisco hotels: Westin San Francisco Hotels - Reservations at westin.com

Last edited by zip106; 14 January 2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 14 January 2009, 11:02 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Fantastic city, would go back in an instant. Cable cars are great fun, i found the whole Alcatraz thing a bit spooky though. just a bit odd knowing the history and stuff that had happened where i was standing.

get out to golden gate, awesome views over the bridge. if you're only there for a short time, there are a lot of city tours that are actually pretty good - take you round all the touristy bits in about 3 hours or so, and then you can pick which bits you want to explore at your own pace later

go see Lombard Street, it just looks cool And Pier 39 with restuarants and the sea lions, erm.... Painted Ladies (Alamo Square). And if you get the time, rent a car and head south down highway 1

Hotel wise, we stayed at the Commodore on Sutter Street Commodore Hotel San Francisco - Special Internet Rates at HotelClub
Found it excellent, modern and a great alternative to the usual mass boring american hotels.

theres loads of photos i took here: USA

(and one for scoobynet, taken by me hanging off the side of a tram )

Last edited by Steve_PPP; 14 January 2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 14 January 2009, 11:15 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

We stayed in San Fran for three nights at the beginning of our road trip. As well as Alcatraz, Pier 39 and the obligatory cable to car to Union Square we drove over the Golden Gate and up into the hills to the left of it where there is a Nike missile launching site and stuff. It was really interesting (with some stunning views of the GG bridge) and dates back to the 50's Golden Gate National Recreational Area - Nike Missile Site (U.S. National Park Service).

We also did a tour of USS Hornet which is berthed across the Bay at Alameda Point HOME PORT - Aircraft Carrier USS Hornet Museum That was really good

Sausalito is also well worth a visit, it's a lovely little place

We stayed at the Holiday Inn (*** Hill-ish) on the 26th and top floor which has huge windows with great views across town to the Golden Gate and is also next to the cable car stop.

Take lots of woollies, we were there in June and despite good weather it was blooming cold, especially when the fog rolls in off the sea which was every morning and evening
Old 14 January 2009, 11:57 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

San Francisco is a great place. I am off there next week for work for 5 days. If you have time it is great to do a 'tour' -- so up through Lake Tahoe, through Yosemite, down to Monterey.

You can go Whale watching if that is your thing and just generally enjoy the city: China town etc...

Be careful if you like to wander aimlessly (as I do) as there are areas that suddenly turn not very nice (Tenderloin being one) and they are only a block or two away from China Town / Shopping areas. I didn't realise when I first went there and became suspicious when there were suddenly groups of men hanging around on the corners and I went into a store to get a Coke and there was a guard who asked if I was carrying a gun and could he search my bag ...

Steve
Old 15 January 2009, 12:06 AM
renny
Scooby Regular

We went there a couple of years back - loved it.

Stayed at The Westin St Francis - lovely hotel in Union square.

As said before,cable cars are fun.Must do Alcatraz but we booked before we went to avoid waiting for tickets.We went on the dusk tour and was quite eary(sp).

We also biked over the Golden Gate bridge,got some fantastic views - although that was in October so was a bit warmer!

As said,Lombard St is just mental!
Old 15 January 2009, 12:10 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zip106
We're stopping in San Fran for 3 days on our way home in April.
Staying at the Westin St. Francis hotel.

Mates of mine have stayed there a few times and highly recommended it. Unfortunately, I know bugger all about it.

San Francisco hotels: Westin San Francisco Hotels - Reservations at westin.com
WOW - Looks nice, the only downside is that I am a greedy ****** and the suite would cost me nearly 3 large for 5 days. Will keep it in mind though
Old 15 January 2009, 12:16 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Talking

Originally Posted by boxst
San Francisco is a great place. I am off there next week for work for 5 days. If you have time it is great to do a 'tour' -- so up through Lake Tahoe, through Yosemite, down to Monterey.

You can go Whale watching if that is your thing and just generally enjoy the city: China town etc...

Be careful if you like to wander aimlessly (as I do) as there are areas that suddenly turn not very nice (Tenderloin being one) and they are only a block or two away from China Town / Shopping areas. I didn't realise when I first went there and became suspicious when there were suddenly groups of men hanging around on the corners and I went into a store to get a Coke and there was a guard who asked if I was carrying a gun and could he search my bag ...

Steve
Cheers for the info Steve (You lucky Barsteward) Will deffo do the tour above and also the whale watching - have done that a few times and it is awe inspiring. Reykyavick is great for whale watching - As is Hull city centre
Old 15 January 2009, 01:31 AM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

Love SF - fabulous place - I can understand why millions of people live on a fault line.
Old 15 January 2009, 07:12 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

hire bikes and do the 'gate'

and Alactraz is a must
Old 15 January 2009, 07:32 AM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

We stayed at Hotel Niko - it was really good - lovely comfortable beds, has a nice location and a reasonable price HOTEL NIKKO SAN FRANCISCO – FOUR DIAMOND LUXURY IN THE HEART OF THE CITY
Old 15 January 2009, 09:26 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Pre booking for Alcatraz is a must as someone mentioned above, we used the official site where you can book and print your tickets online: Alcatraz Island - Official Tickets Site - Guaranteed Lowest Price

Whilst you're in San Fran it's easy to get around, we used cabs everywhere plus the odd cable car. Our hire car stayed in the garage for two days until we dared venture out onto the streets
Old 15 January 2009, 09:28 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Make sure you wear flowers in your hair
Old 15 January 2009, 10:36 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Been loads of times for work. I recommend a Boutique Hotel somewhere around Union Square in the Downtown.

Old 15 January 2009, 10:38 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

You'll have a blast I'm sure!

As I went with Sal that's no too much for me to add... Deffo take some warm clothing, we ended up buying hoodies!

Get a hot dog from a sidewalk stand thing,

If you're crap at getting horizons level, like Sal, use the horizon levelling tool on the way back from Alcatraz (Known as a boat that's rocking side to side to most folk! )

And just a couple of different pics.

I'd never been to America before and I'm not a city dweller but I was surprised that the place just doesn't stop! I was awake at some odd hours (jet lag, excitement, needing a wee!) and the place was still going! There's constantly a siren going from a fire engine or ambulance. Taxis beep at everyone... it's great! I sooo want to go back

Have fun and post your pics up when you get back!

PS, we drove Lombard Street, it was cool but given a second chance I'd find time to stop, get out and have a proper look. There's a constant flow of cars so you can't just stop on the street itself.
Old 15 January 2009, 10:46 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I forgot to say, watch some TV, for the ads mainly, they're hilarious!

YouTube - Stanley Steemer Toby's New Trick
Old 15 January 2009, 11:18 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

We stayed in the Chancellor boutique hotel on Union Sq - absolutely awesome, would go back there in a heartbeat. Book Alcatraz early online & go to the cheesecake factory at the top of Macy's for a nice lunch

Last edited by DJ_Jon; 15 January 2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 15 January 2009, 11:27 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice walk form Lombard Street to Coit Tower which is a must IMO

We stayed in the Radisson Miyako in Japantown, very good value for money, clean, quiet, business hotel in a very nice quiet part of San Fran. (May be called Hotel Kabuki now?)

Last edited by rickya; 15 January 2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 15 January 2009, 11:34 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

A word of warning about The Cheesecake Factory!

We went to one near LA. Now I'm not shy when it comes to eating as I'm sure anyone who knows me will tell you! I got this cake as a starter before my cheesecake proper! I couldn't finish it and it dam near killed me!

Use caution with American food!
Old 15 January 2009, 03:02 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco!"

Mark Twain

He wasn't wrong!
Old 15 January 2009, 03:58 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I stayed in the marina inn on Lombard and Octavia the first time I went, It was a really nice place.
The next few times the put me in a motel 6...... Not so much luxury if Im honest.

Try and visit Haight ashbury, beware of thieving tramps.
Market street is great for shopping.
The zoo!!!! gotta love the zoo
Pacific heights is nice to mooch around.

Its a great city and I have had loads of great times there, but seriously watch out for the thieving tramps.....
Old 15 January 2009, 05:14 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

some great pics there, i went a few years ago in april but it was really foggy and raining for the 3 days we were there. Still got some great pics.

a great city to visit and Alcatraz is a must see along with the golden gate cruise which i think you buy as a combined package with the Alcatraz tour. Worth taking a trip over the bridge too as there are some great views from the other side and some nice places to visit too.
Old 15 January 2009, 05:42 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

As said take a jacket .Cold as **** when we went in May,still managed to burn my napper in the sunshine though .It can be breezy,sunny ,cold all at once .!!!

Do Alcatraz and wear the headphones to do the tour .(in with price I think ).Wander about and listen to the story as you go to every corner of the place .Far better than scooting through in 15 mins and not getting the full picture .

Walk up Lombard St,you get a real feel for how steep it is !!

Enjoy !!
Old 15 January 2009, 05:50 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

all these people saying its cold!?? i went there in April and it was shorts and tshirt weather
Old 15 January 2009, 05:53 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Just to add,when you go to Alcatraz make sure you visit the hospital which is upstairs.

They don't advertise it but you just go to a desk at the far end of the building (as you enter) and ask to do the hospital tour.

It doesn't cost anything but it is limited numbers so make sure you do it when you walk in.They'll give you a token and a given time to be back in that area.

Not sure if this has been posted already,if so apologies.
Old 15 January 2009, 06:15 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
Pre booking for Alcatraz is a must as someone mentioned above, we used the official site where you can book and print your tickets online: Alcatraz Island - Official Tickets Site - Guaranteed Lowest Price

Whilst you're in San Fran it's easy to get around, we used cabs everywhere plus the odd cable car. Our hire car stayed in the garage for two days until we dared venture out onto the streets
Just had a look on that site for ticket availability.
Looks like there aren't any available for the dates we're there in April.
Either that or they can't be booked this far in advance?
Old 15 January 2009, 06:18 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Just had a look on that site for ticket availability.
Looks like there aren't any available for the dates we're there in April.
Either that or they can't be booked this far in advance?
Probably not be available yet.Just keep looking nearer the time or worse case scenario,book them as soon as you get there - it'll be fine.
Old 15 January 2009, 06:19 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Just thought - don't forget you need to fill in this form now or you won't be able to enter the good ol' US of A.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Travel
Old 15 January 2009, 08:05 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP
all these people saying its cold!?? i went there in April and it was shorts and tshirt weather

we were there at the start of November, it wasn't cold but had some rain.. we were in Polo shirts and others from USA/NewYork we spoke to on the boat over to Alatraz thought the weather was cold.. we thought it was lovely

we stayed at the Holiday Inn at Fisherman's Wharf, nice area and 5mins walk from Peir 39. Thats the side you need to be, down town SF.. looks a bit dodgy

when you're there have a Clam Choulder, its a soup in a bread BUN (cob) that holds the soup and you eat out of it.

Quick Reply: San Francisco - Anyone been?