Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Quick question - work, illness, time off, moody boss etc etc

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2009, 11:29 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Quick question - work, illness, time off, moody boss etc etc

Wouldn't normally start these types of threads but just need some confirmation of what I think.

Wife had her appendix out on 27th December. She was hoping to go back to work on Monday but she still has pain and wounds aren't healing as well as they might so she has been told to take another 10 days and they are pushing for a scan. At best her wound internally is infected, at worst it wasn't her appendix at all and its actually her gallbladder thats on the blink.

She also managed to be a passenger in car accident yesterday so all in all shes not having a great start to 09.

She is a hairdresser and her boss is a bit of a tyrant. Am I right in saying that apart from a bit of verbal and a temper tantrum she can't actually sack my wife? Wife is upset as it is and is worried to lose clients and let people down.

I was going to suggest she maybe do a half day or at maybe answer the phone to show willing.
Old 16 January 2009, 02:08 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If she's been signed off by a doctor then there is nothing an employer can do about it. I assume she has been and if not I can't see any problem with a doctor issuing a sick note under these circumstances. If they sack her and it turns out it is linked to the absence then you have good grounds for an unfair dismissal case.

As for going back half days etc. if the employer has any sense they'll not want her back until she is well again. Getting someone to work when they are signed off is a no-no as it's against health and safety regulation and also probably won't be covered by the employer's insurance if she had an accident at work. The employer could then potentially have their ar*e sued off
Old 16 January 2009, 02:11 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Cant do jack about it really, they have to swallow her being off, albeit maybe on SSP.
I was off for 6 and a half months and hardly heard a word from my employers.

As for going back, I slowly got back into work building my hours up slowly, but would not recommend going back to work before she is ready, even to show willing.

Last edited by Snazy; 16 January 2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 16 January 2009, 02:13 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, she is signed off. She was hoping not to be but I think she's been trying to hide it because she's just so bored stuck at home.

Yesterday was the first day out for over a week and ended up getting T boned by some old boy who decided giving way happens to other people. She paniced (sp) a bit because the belt pulled the wounds.

Hadn't thought of H&S rules.

Not sure about sick pay. I think its in her contract but shes only on min wage and I can help her out.

Boss seems OK so far. Its funny when we are out and meet shes lovely but once in the shop shes horrid.

Last edited by EddScott; 16 January 2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 16 January 2009, 05:42 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

She doesn't want to go back to work too soon either. If she goes back too early and has to go off again that could count against her on her absence record.

I know a guy who did similar, thought he would show willing and go back early, had to go off sick again and ended up on a warning under the company toting procedure, so many absences in a rolling period.

That all aside, encourage her to stay off until she really is better, her health is far more important.
Old 16 January 2009, 05:48 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Maybe she could offer to help out with some paperwork or something from home?