Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Time for a new bank, who to use?

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2009, 02:23 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First Direct - will pay you to join them and pay you more and help you leave if you on't like them.

Utterly brilliant bank.

Caveat - I earn good money, have always paid my bills, never gone over my overdraft limit etc etc

Edited to say
---------------

£100 if you like us
Switch your bank account now and we'll give you £100. Just transfer your salary/income of at least £1,500 per month within three months and we will add £100 to your account.

Only one incentive payment per customer or joint account relationship. This offer is only available for people who haven't previously experienced the delights of banking with first direct.

£200 if you don't
If, within 12 months you're not happy with us, you've paid in at least £1,500 a month for six months and you haven't tried us before, we'll give you another £100 and help you move your account. You'll also need to have used our Easy switch service, which means we'll have obtained details of your Standing Orders and Direct Debits from your previous bankers and arranged to transfer them for you. All other accounts held with first direct must be closed when you move accounts.

Last edited by MattW; 16 January 2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 16 January 2009, 02:24 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Several offering sign up bonuses etc. See here: Best Bank Accounts: Get £100 for switching and 0% overdraft...

They will switch over all your direct debits etc. for you.

Butter your toast
Old 16 January 2009, 02:39 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I have never had any problems with NatWest. They have given me a reasonable overdraft limit should I need to use it. And even rang me up once to say that one of my accounts was just about to go overdrawn, should they transfer money from one of the others?

Steve
Old 16 January 2009, 02:41 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
First Direct don't have branches though do they? Sorry should have specified they must have branches you can go into. I hate automated phone systems, waiting on hold for ages and speaking to call centres and would rather drive into town and speak with someone face to face.
True, but you rarely queue and when you do it is only for 20 secs or so at most. They are English speaking, can sort the issue there and then, if they can't they pass you straight onto someone who can. It's more like calling the bank than speaking to a scripted call centre.
Old 16 January 2009, 02:45 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Another vote for 1st direct.
Call centres are ace.

Used HSBC's facilities for paying in cheques.
Old 16 January 2009, 02:45 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

First Direct don't have branches though do they? Sorry should have specified they must have branches you can go into. I hate automated phone systems, waiting on hold for ages and speaking to call centres and would rather drive into town and speak with someone face to face.
You can use any HSBC as a branch if you need to physically cash cheques or deposit any money etc. everything else can be done over the phone, agree with MattW, First Direct have been great for me.
Old 16 January 2009, 03:33 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Noticed when ringing HSBC the other day the message went on about their 'UK call centres'.

Presume customer power won for once!

I still bank with Barclays.I couldn't face changing bank even though they have seriously annoyed me in the past.HSBC seemed fine when we had a mortgage with them.Don't know about them as your bankers though.Aren't First Direct related to them?

Mind you,you could buy your own bank looking at the share prices!
Old 16 January 2009, 03:51 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I like the sound of A&L due to the overdraft at 0% as I have a big one at the moment.

Currently with Halifax and they charged me about £95 becuase I went over one of my acounts by a couple of pounds writing a cheque using the wrong book and I hadn't noticed. They charge £65 for honouring the cheque and £30 for going over. I've been with them since I was 16 and we have 3 current accounts with them and two savings accounts.

Manager didn't give a f*ck. Naturally the dummy was spat out and I said "with that attitude I hope your branch is closed" and stropped off having solved absolutely nothing and looked silly for losing my temper.

How do you pay in cheques if there isn't a branch local to you?
Old 16 January 2009, 03:51 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Another vote for First Direct from me.
Old 16 January 2009, 03:52 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheers, looks like Alliance and Leicester will give me £100 for nothing Don't know how good they are though, only they are part of the Santander group. Benefit is they are a partner with the post office and we have no cash machines in the village, only the post office to take money out.

Thanks for the other replies so far.

I asked about this last year. was with Lloyds for 15 years but after a series of cockups I decided to leave them. went with Alliance & Leicester because of the great switching service, the overdraft matching facility, etc

They have been pretty good so far, transfered all my DD's and standing orders. bank online or by telephone and they have a few branches around the place.
Old 16 January 2009, 04:42 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I have an A&L account and cant fault them.
Old 16 January 2009, 05:22 PM
P1-Brad
Scooby Regular

Moved from Natwest to First Direct last year due to poor service etc. ... as above - excellent call centres, great online system, actually been a pleasure banking with them!
Old 16 January 2009, 05:39 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

another satisfied FD customer here - been with them nearly 15 years and had no problems to speak of
Old 16 January 2009, 05:47 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Theyre all wonderful as long as theyre quietly making money out of you !
Old 16 January 2009, 05:59 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Angry

Avoid Lloyds TSB like the pox

rubbish cs - indian and UK based call and both utter ****e, even speaking to the so called branch left us with little confidence and they still haven't resloved the problem they created by paying a s/o two days earlier than the specified date. this is three weeks on.

Lloyds TSB - Rubbish, utter rubbish, each time you speak to a different person you get a different answer, no ownership of issues and they just do not care!
Old 16 January 2009, 06:06 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Avoid Lloyds TSB like the pox

rubbish cs - indian and UK based call and both utter ****e, even speaking to the so called branch left us with little confidence and they still haven't resloved the problem they created by paying a s/o two days earlier than the specified date. this is three weeks on.

Lloyds TSB - Rubbish, utter rubbish, each time you speak to a different person you get a different answer, no ownership of issues and they just do not care!
I would disagree, although I have to as my wife works for them and I know who to speak to when dealing with our account.
Old 16 January 2009, 06:08 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by PaulC72
I would disagree, although I have to as my wife works for them and I know who to speak to when dealing with our account.
Its great that you can speak to the right person, It should be the same for the rest of their customers as well, we should all get to speak to the right person, sadly not in this case.

They come across as a real mickey mouse operation when you have any dealings with them other than the 'norm'

Last edited by The Zohan; 16 January 2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 16 January 2009, 06:36 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Currently with Halifax and they charged me about £95 becuase I went over one of my acounts by a couple of pounds writing a cheque using the wrong book and I hadn't noticed. They charge £65 for honouring the cheque and £30 for going over.
Very similar thing happened to my wife with Halifax, we've lodged an unfair charges complaint, but don't expect to get anything back.
Old 17 January 2009, 11:32 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I'm with LLoyds TSB and had no problems at all with them, they get all my banking business now, was with HSBC and had no end of problems.

I don't think there is such a thing as a good bank though, they are all fine till something goes wrong then they are all as bad as each other
Old 17 January 2009, 11:43 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Nationwide seem to always get good things said about them, and unlike the others they dont charge you to withdraw cash abroad.

I'm with HSBC and haven't had any issues with them.

Remember you quite often have to say 'how long have you been with your current bank?' when applying for bonds and credit cards etc, so this is probably a factor on your credit rating, but can't see it being a big one tbh.
Old 17 January 2009, 11:47 AM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

I'm with HSBC, and they've alwyas been spot on, never had any problems
Old 17 January 2009, 06:16 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

they're all the same - attempt an unauthorised overdraft and they'll charge you. you've already cost them more than £22 handling your calls complaining about the charge.
Old 17 January 2009, 08:06 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Nationwide seem to always get good things said about them, and unlike the others they dont charge you to withdraw cash abroad.

They aren't a bank though, and some of their communication systems are positively stoneage!
It is quicker for me to pay my credit card bill (in cash) at LLoyds than Nationwide.

Quick Reply: Time for a new bank, who to use?