Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pensinor dies as baliff trys to get a £60 speeding fine!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2009, 03:42 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Pensinor dies as baliff trys to get a £60 speeding fine!!!!!!!!

Page last updated at 14:09 GMT, Friday, 16 January 2009
E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Man dies during visit by bailiff

Justice Minister Jack Straw has ordered an inquiry into Mr Miller's death
A 78-year-old man from Accrington collapsed and died from a heart attack after being taken to a cash machine by a bailiff to pay a £60 speeding fine.

Retired pub landlord Andy Miller had only been released from hospital a fortnight before following an earlier heart attack in October.

Mr Miller's family said they had told the Lancashire magistrates who ordered the bailiffs about his health problems.

Justice Minister Jack Straw has ordered an inquiry into Mr Miller's death.

The bailiff called at his house in India Street on 7 January and persuaded him to get into his car and go to Accrington town centre.

The father-of-five collapsed on his way to a cash machine while the bailiff parked and waited for the money.

'Under duress'

The death is not being treated as suspicious.

His son, Mick, 48, from Lower Darwen, Blackburn, said: "We made countless phone calls and sent numerous letters to the court to tell them about dad's stay in hospital.

"The bailiff called at his house and said he had to make a payment, otherwise they would bring a delivery van and locksmith. He said they would get into the property and take goods and there was nothing he could do about it. Why didn't the court service take into account that Mr Miller was in poor health?

Greg Pope, Hyndburn MP

"My father then agreed to be driven to get some cash. I believe he was put under duress. We just want some answers as to why the bailiffs were called in."

The pensioner spent 10 days in a coma when he suffered a stroke following his heart attack at the Blackburn Rovers football ground, Ewood Park, on 25 October.

He left hospital just before Christmas to spend time with his family.

Magistrates in Blackpool gave permission for the bailiffs to collect the debt, which included £300 costs which arose from the speeding offence committed on the M55 motorway.

Hyndburn MP Greg Pope referred the case to Mr Straw who has ordered an investigation.

'Our condolences'

Mr Pope said: "There are many things about this case which require an answer. Why didn't the court service take into account that Mr Miller was in poor health?

"There needs to be some sort of answer to that question and I hope the court service will come forward and do that."

A spokesman for Her Majesty's Courts Service said: "We offer our condolences to Mr Miller's family.

"At the request of the local MP, Greg Pope, we will conduct an investigation into the circumstances around this and will report back to the family and MP."

This Country is a joke, the family informed the court that he has been ill, but thet still push ahead, someones head has got to roll for this.
Cheers
Colin
Old 16 January 2009, 03:51 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Typical Britain today I'm affraid. Pick on the Mr. Average who isn't a criminal, but who is an easy target for a quick fine.
Old 16 January 2009, 04:11 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Of course if he, or his son, had paid the damn thing in the first place........
Old 16 January 2009, 04:14 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Smells like family looking for a pay out tbh.
Old 16 January 2009, 04:38 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

The question has to be asked why the fine wasn't paid....if it was my dad I'd have just paid it for him.

Still a sad state of affairs though.
Old 16 January 2009, 04:43 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Lets face it , it seems a tad doubtful they came looking for a 60 quid ticket
Old 16 January 2009, 04:51 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

As above really, why didn't his concerned family pay the ticket for him. Sad that he has died but IMO it was avoidable.

Trending Topics

Old 16 January 2009, 05:05 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hanley
The question has to be asked why the fine wasn't paid....if it was my dad I'd have just paid it for him.

My thoughts. Instead of repeatedly calling the courts, why not pay for him? And why did they allow it to get to the point where bailiffs got involved - that usually happens quite late in the process. And if the old man had agreed to get the cash out of the bank that implies he had the money, but was being bloody-minded about coughing it up.

M
Old 16 January 2009, 06:59 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

well it wasnt just £60, he collapses at a blackburn rovers match in october and had been in a coma. by the time the baliffs came they added £300.