Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile phone radiation

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2009, 12:41 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile phone radiation

ok ive started to use my mobile phone more now i dont see this mrs daily due to working away and ive started to get ear aches and a hot ear when on it for ages..

anyone tried any of these devices you caN GET FOR YOUr fone which reduces the amount of radition it emitrs? i think they are stickers that go on the back of it?

do they actually work? anyone got anything to combat it?

also got me thinking about how much it must be emitting being in my pocket all day lol, never really experienced problems with the phone before but hey i never used it a lot ..

so from those who use the fones 24/7 any tips?

cheers

p.s. hands free kit may need to be used more now
Old 18 January 2009, 12:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They emit virtually no radiation when on standby, its only when transmitting that they have a higher power output, though never proven, like any equipment that uses RF, its not advisable to hold it to your head for long times, and it can also be down to the way its held close to your head that gives ear aches (noise directly into ear), but they meet the requirement of not exceeding (by a large ammount) the ammount of RF to reach dangerous levels.

Tony
Old 18 January 2009, 01:34 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

ok thanks for that, very hellpful

p.s. we need a thank you button on this forum hehe, actually ignore that, you have the post ratings

anyway do these devices that claim to reduce radiation actually do anything or a waste of money?
Old 18 January 2009, 01:46 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

See Anti-radiation phone chip withdrawn from sale and the story contained therein!

mb
Old 18 January 2009, 02:42 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

ok so they pretty much useless, no proof for them
Old 18 January 2009, 03:20 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Use a hands free device or an earpiece instead. Much more comfortable anyway for long chats and it means the phone can be a bit away from you if you're worried about the radiation.
Old 19 January 2009, 12:51 AM
zed0
Scooby Regular

i was gonna say - hands free kit, i use the phone alot with no affects.
Old 19 January 2009, 09:09 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Just use a hands-free microphone, not even Bluetooth, just the one that is normally shipped with the phone.

Steve
Old 19 January 2009, 09:24 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Being serious about this, this is something that worries me - there were scare stories a while ago, but they were quashed by various 'experts' ( paid for by the phone companies, funnily enough ) - you see lots of people now who are constantly on their phones, kids particularly.

What will happen if in 10 years time loads of people suddenly start developing brain problems ? Its only in the last few years that everyone has got a mobile, and with the cheaper calls, people are on them all the time.

If the effects would only happen after prolonged use over a period of years, the current generation of kids could be setting themselves up for some major problems.
Old 19 January 2009, 09:56 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I don't trust the things which is why I don't have one. I'm convinced there will be a spate of health problems in 10 - 20 years due to this.

I have no scientific evidence to back this up, but I think mobiles, mobile masts and electricity pylons are not good for your health.

I would rather be safe than sorry!
Old 19 January 2009, 11:02 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Above is true - people moan like hell about living 200 yards away from a mast, but are perfectly happy to stick a smaller version to the side of their head for hours at a time...
Old 19 January 2009, 11:12 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There is no doubt that electromagnetic waves at the high frequencies from a mobile phone will have an effect on your brain. Think about a microwave oven, although of course the effects from the phone would not be that extreme.

If you use a mobile very frequently then any effects will be made worse and although they say there is no evidence to say it is harmful, where is the positive evidence to say that it is not?

I personally would not feel happy about heavy use of a mobile phone.

Les
Old 19 January 2009, 11:50 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

IIRC the debate was on BBC news a few years ago - they had got some doctors to measure brain temperature and activity while using a mobile. The mobile caused a hot spot in the brain next to where it was used. Although the temperature increase wasnt huge, the doctor doing the tests said he wasnt happy about it, and recommended always using a hands free kit.

One of the phone companies then came on with their experts who said there was nothing to worry about, and increased brain temperature was perfectly safe.

It does make me think a bit about the cigarette companies in the USA who had told people for years that smoking was perfectly safe, then had to pay out billions in compensation.
Old 19 January 2009, 12:04 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

true it made me think! my little brother is 18 years old! on the fone all the time! mane thing is he txts his girlfriend everytnight! and i mean everynight for minimum 2 hours! usually goes on till well into the night and then his fone is kept on his bedside next to his pillow till the morning where the alarm wakes him up

same with a lot of the younger generation now.. , cousins nephews and all of them are doing the same, you cant part them from there fone!

on top of this like has been said, its only recently that phones have been used more often! and always being with a person , it takes time to see the long term effects of it! ggicve it 12 years and we'll see the effects..

i mean i know at work guys who have them blackberrys and on them all the time, come of the plane and there on them again, and soem complain of aches in there fingers/wrist?

surely our kids will get that from txting all the time? could also effect there elbows where tendonitis starts as its all linked from your fingers.. and u'll see them saying they have golfers/tennis elbow..?

ive never really thought about it as much till lately.. lol last nigh i used the ear peice and the 45 mins callw as a lot better
Old 19 January 2009, 12:33 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

another side note,... but what about tthe workplaces now all transmitting wiresless etc.? surely this is just the same? or is it completly different?
Old 19 January 2009, 12:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its a good point Eggy, thats at high frequencies too.

Its a matter of what happens over a long period of time I think.

Les
Old 19 January 2009, 12:39 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Wi-fi networking operates on a different frequency band and at much, much lower power - we're talking factors of 1000 or so here.

Also bear in mind that power falls off with the square of the distance from the transmitter, so if you move twice as far away from the transmitter, the power you absorb decreases by a factor of four. Now consider how far your phone is from your brain during a call and compare / contrast with how far the nearest wi-fi transmitter is from your brain.
Old 19 January 2009, 02:13 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zed0
i was gonna say - hands free kit, i use the phone alot with no affects.
You sure? Think you mean "effects"
Old 19 January 2009, 03:33 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Wi-fi networking operates on a different frequency band and at much, much lower power - we're talking factors of 1000 or so here.

Also bear in mind that power falls off with the square of the distance from the transmitter, so if you move twice as far away from the transmitter, the power you absorb decreases by a factor of four. Now consider how far your phone is from your brain during a call and compare / contrast with how far the nearest wi-fi transmitter is from your brain.
cheers thanks for clarifying that
Old 19 January 2009, 03:40 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

The problem is that the mobile phone industry is worth so much money, it would be a huge risk for the government to admit there were health dangers. Especially in the current economic climate.
Old 19 January 2009, 05:38 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, but balance that against the future cost of treating a couple of million people with brain tumors, or who cant work for the rest of their lives because of brain damage ( extreme I know, but none of us know what the future is going to hold ) ?

Would be better if the government did some proper research - if it did turn out there is a danger, then the phone companies would have to modify their designs to either make all phones hands free, or find some other method of transmitting the signals.

As Andy C says - the real danger would come from having the transmitting source 5mm away from your brain for long periods at a time.

I'm a qualified electronics engineer, and while RF wasnt really my area, even when I was in Uni ( 8 years ago ) there was talk about possible problems that could be caused by mobiles, but at that time they were still very expensive to buy and use, so people werent using them nearly as much as now.
Old 19 January 2009, 05:45 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by eggy790
true it made me think! my little brother is 18 years old! on the fone all the time! mane thing is he txts his girlfriend everytnight!
Tell him he doesn't need to hold the phone to his ear to send a text
Old 19 January 2009, 07:10 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
The problem is that the mobile phone industry is worth so much money, it would be a huge risk for the government to admit there were health dangers. Especially in the current economic climate.
I disagree. I think the problem is that it's much harder to prove that something doesn't happen than to prove that it does, especially when there are people who are reluctant to accept such an assertion.

It's too easy, IMHO of course, for someone to say that "just because xxxxx study didn't show a problem doesn't mean there isn't one", and to insist that "further study is needed", regardless of whatever studies have already been carried out.
Old 19 January 2009, 10:33 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

aome interesting comments on here, and yu do have a ppoint above bout it being hard to prove someting doesnt happen..

i think the main thing is it will take time before anything is done about it, something will have to happen first
Old 20 January 2009, 09:22 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Well, we could build many more base stations...

Suppose the average distance between phone and base station were decreased by half, the power the phone would use to transmit would decrease by a factor of four. That would decrease the user's exposure to radiation while simultaneously increasing the phone's battery life.

Of course, the argument that more base stations == LESS exposure to radiation might itself scramble the brains of some...
Old 20 January 2009, 10:55 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Would you call that a responsible and honest attitude though?

Les
Old 20 January 2009, 11:16 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Definitely not, I'd love to see a proper enquiry, but it won't happen because of the money involved in the industry.

I agree it is hard to prove these things, but if it wasn't for the financial implications of exposing the dangers, there would be far more research done.
Old 20 January 2009, 11:50 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

What precisely is it about the INTERPHONE study that you don't regard as having been 'proper'?