Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice - royal mail item lost in post ???

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2009, 05:03 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice - royal mail item lost in post ???

Hi , anyone able to advise on the following ?? sent a small parcel via Royal mail around three plus weeks ago which up till now has failed to reach its destination, poped into the post office today to pick up a claim form, been advised to fill it in and Royal mail will try track down the item, how can they go about tracking it down ?? it was not sent registered, the sheet I have to fill in asks for details off the size / shape contents off the item -eh... small brown box !!

dont hold much hope in them finding it !! so is this just down to procedure / will they phyically search thru every sorting offices for my bl*&dy parcel or what ??!! and any idea how long they take to pay out compensation ???
Old 19 January 2009, 05:07 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Be careful, they love to use the "not correctly packaged" excuse. Make sure you explain just how well it was packaged to avoid them worming out of it.
Old 19 January 2009, 05:07 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

If it wasnt sent by a registered or signed for service, there isnt a lot they can do.
I was told once that sorting offices have a bin full of stuff that cant be delivered due to illegible addresses etc etc. they might have a rummage in there.
If it wasnt insured, your compensation is limited to a few quid at best iirc.
Old 19 January 2009, 05:09 PM
nardoblue
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't hold out too much hope they lost a large box containing a pair of road springs. The bloke I spoke to said they do loose thing some times!!!!!
£70 down the pan
Old 19 January 2009, 05:10 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks it was insured up to the true value off the item, item address was clearly written and sent to a confirmed by the post office address but well ...will waitt and see !!!

any idea how long to pay out ??
Old 19 January 2009, 05:32 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

RM are a pain when you lose things - contrary to what they say, most of the post is stolen either by people in sorting offices ( a mate worked part time in a sorting office, and he said a lot of stuff walked out the back door if the workers thought it was something worth pinching ), or postmen on their rounds - there is no way they can actually lose the amount of correctly addressed items they do.
Old 19 January 2009, 07:06 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jono300
Okay thanks it was insured up to the true value off the item, item address was clearly written and sent to a confirmed by the post office address but well ...will waitt and see !!!

Sorry but I genuinely don't understand what you are trying to say.... Please clarify. Is it possible that recipient was not in and item was returned to local sorting office? Did it have a return address on package? Was it identifiable as a nickable item?

I insured a pack going overseas for £200. It never arrived. A year and a half later RM paid me £80. One of the worst companies I have ever dealt with (after local water company!). dl
Old 19 January 2009, 07:30 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Sorry but I genuinely don't understand what you are trying to say.... Please clarify. Is it possible that recipient was not in and item was returned to local sorting office? Did it have a return address on package? Was it identifiable as a nickable item?

I insured a pack going overseas for £200. It never arrived. A year and a half later RM paid me £80. One of the worst companies I have ever dealt with (after local water company!). dl
Okay no probs initially you ( ?? ) mentioned that a lot off post is addressed wrongly or the writting is not clear enough to be identified, I was merely saying that the address had been typed out bt myself and that the address was confirmed as a valid one by the post ofice at the time off sending ( the post office check the address to confirm it is valid when checking weight / sticking stamps etc on the actual item etc ) a return address is always put on all my outgoing parcels.

lastly - nope small brown box with very little weight inside - not very nickable in my mind !!

but yep totally agrea with you not the best off companies to deal with when things go wrong but as has been said before apart from using couriers who we all know can themseves be very capable off loosing things !! who else can you use ??!!
Old 19 January 2009, 10:02 PM
pitcha44
Scooby Regular

so if it was insured then it must of been sent recorded/signfor.

if so then you will have a reciet with a tracking number on it. put that in with claim form and get the value back plus a book of stamps.
Old 20 January 2009, 01:19 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

RM are a bunch of numpties

do you have a receipt/certificate of postage??
Old 20 January 2009, 01:37 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

... am I the only one to ask ??

What was it
Old 20 January 2009, 06:08 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

As long as they can make it. I made a claim for a watch that disappeared when it was sent by Special Delivery (! they produced a made-up signature to prove delivery, but I dont know what happened beyond that) and it took several weeks to process.

Last edited by GC8; 20 January 2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 20 January 2009, 06:59 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GC8
As long as they can make it. I made a claim for a watch that disappeared when it was sent by Special Delivery (! they produced a made-up signature to prove delivery, but I don't know what happened beyond that) and it took several weeks to process.
Strange, I had the same. They produced a signature and it was nothing like mine. I eventually got £22 compensation after they closed ranks on the colleague who signed my name. Surely that's fraud?
Old 20 January 2009, 07:16 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I got the full purchase price of the watch, although it was the seller who actually had to make the claim, even though I paid for the service. They didnt understand the argument that he was my agent.....

I doubt that the postman stole the watch, but I suspect that he put it through the wrong letter box after signing himself. Hed have got away with it if hed done that at the correct address.
Old 20 January 2009, 08:59 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
RM are a pain when you lose things - contrary to what they say, most of the post is stolen either by people in sorting offices ( a mate worked part time in a sorting office, and he said a lot of stuff walked out the back door if the workers thought it was something worth pinching ), or postmen on their rounds - there is no way they can actually lose the amount of correctly addressed items they do.
I had loads of stuff go missing just before xmas, when presumably they hire temp staff, including a cheque sent to me (which I needed urgently), and products I'd sent to client who wanted them, for xmas. Will use Registered next time and charge more.

The whole PO service is a joke. I spent half an hour queing for a passport application form, wondering why they don't just leave them out. Soon realised it was to give them the chance to sell me insurance / cash / credit cards. Then they wanted nearly £7 each to check the forms, when there's a passport office down the road who'll do it for free.

Sadly I think the PO's time has come, and competition is needed.
Old 20 January 2009, 11:00 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Are they not legally responsible for your mail until it is correctly delivered?

Les
Old 20 January 2009, 11:14 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Not if they can help it!