Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Has Obama made a huge mistake on his first day?

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2009, 10:05 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has Obama made a huge mistake on his first day?

His promise to close Guantanamo bay and prevent the use of "torture" or harsh interrogation techniques on prisoners could really come back to bite him.

Surely his memory is not so short that he has forgotten the lengths some organisations will go to for their "cause". What's to come next?
Old 22 January 2009, 10:12 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i personally believe they should be tortured they are criminal scumbags anyway.
Old 22 January 2009, 10:16 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I suppose the bloke doesn't want to go back on his word but it's possibly a mistake. Just think of all those job losses.lol
Old 22 January 2009, 10:22 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Promise and do are completely sh1te post back in six months time
Old 22 January 2009, 10:24 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
But that's the whole point isn't it? There is very little proof that some of them are *scumbags*. If there is no proof they have to be let go -unless you don't mind being banged up for years on end not knowing what you're supposed to have done and with no contact with the outside world. If you've nothing to hide ........

Dave
yeah I mean it's normal to be out in the middle of a war zone, heavily armed with maps of US/UK army bases etc - but actually just out for a picnic or bird watching...

Doesn't take a genius to put 2 and 2 together, but thanks to the PC police they are assumed innocent unless caught red-handed beheading a captive

Defo a big mistake by Obama - we're letting terrorist scum bread like rabbits in Western countries and political correctness stops us being able to tackle the problem...

Last edited by Petem95; 22 January 2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 22 January 2009, 10:27 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Its probably called 'leading by example' and not being utter shyster hypocrites! That's a basic for integrity - especially if you want to tell Iran to stop stoning people to death for adultery someday! D

Trending Topics

Old 22 January 2009, 10:30 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

He probably realises that by having such a place he's feeding those that seek to destroy the west a perfect reason to turn to the methods they do. Of course many would anyway but it will certainly be used as an example to marginalise many impressionable young men.
Old 22 January 2009, 10:39 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

he wont stop torture he is only a president and they will be more after him ,no doubt there are bigger places than g bay currently been run by america and they probably have bigger torture weapons .
Old 22 January 2009, 10:42 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

read "the trial" by Franz Kafka

the vast majority were picked up for being "rag heads", thousands have already been released in the last 3-4 years and sent back home, they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time

but a bit luckier than the 100,s of innocent "rag heads" that are routinely wiped out by American missile strikes -- another 25 yesterday by all accounts
Old 23 January 2009, 12:10 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

What is the point of corrupting your ideals in order to fight those who are against them?
This is a two minute video made by a victim of the "7/7" tube bombings.
In view of what her experience, I think she deserves a listening to.
Video: Rachel North on the erosion of civil liberties | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
Old 23 January 2009, 12:56 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Surely his memory is not so short that he has forgotten the lengths some organisations will go to for their "cause".
Can we count the FAA in that group of organisations?

After all, the lengths they went to, continually ignoring the numerous warnings about non-existent security checks on US internal flights. all in the 'cause' of not upsetting the Airline Industry, is at the root of most of the current unrest
Old 23 January 2009, 01:01 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
read "the trial" by Franz Kafka
the vast majority were picked up for being "rag heads", thousands have already been released in the last 3-4 years and sent back home, they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time

but a bit luckier than the 100,s of innocent "rag heads" that are routinely wiped out by American missile strikes -- another 25 yesterday by all accounts

And these "rag heads" have never killed any innocent British or American people have they......no course they haven't there all goodie to shoes
Old 23 January 2009, 06:23 AM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dazza01
And these "rag heads" have never killed any innocent British or American people have they......no course they haven't there all goodie to shoes
And i guess 'british & american forces' have never killed innocent so called rag heads in Iraq/Afghanistan!
Old 23 January 2009, 06:42 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

And these "rag heads" have never killed any innocent British or American people have they

We invaded their country - what did you expect?

M
Old 23 January 2009, 06:55 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
We invaded their country - what did you expect?

M
I expect them to start taking tea and sandwiches at 11
Old 23 January 2009, 06:58 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Listening to the Christian/Republican right; he probably closed it before they managed to excile him there.
Old 23 January 2009, 08:13 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

he wants to drag america out of the gutter and try and make them less hated around the world.
Old 23 January 2009, 08:38 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Why would he bother locking the scum up? He is going back to Black ops and will just assassinate them in their beds, saves a fortune in running costs.
Old 23 January 2009, 09:33 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

I dispare sometimes -- are people in this country really unaware of the carnage that is going on in our name

the 100's and 100's of innocent people killed in Air and Missile strikes

but according to some posters "rag head" = guilty = death

its a view I suppose, just one that belongs in the dark ages
Old 23 January 2009, 12:54 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
I dispare sometimes -- are people in this country really unaware of the carnage that is going on in our name

the 100's and 100's of innocent people killed in Air and Missile strikes

but according to some posters "rag head" = guilty = death

its a view I suppose, just one that belongs in the dark ages
TBH, I don't think most people (myself included) have got much idea of what we are doing there.
It was all done a bit on the quiet IMO.
Perhaps Blair & Co. decided it was better not to give the public a reason, rather than to give one based on disinformation a la the Iraq adventure.
Old 23 January 2009, 01:15 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

wouldn't disagree

I heard a frightening fact -- the soviets had 100,000 troops in Afghanistan and they still got kicked out

and we've already been kicked out - last century

and we are not going to win by seemingly random attacks on the population
Old 23 January 2009, 01:19 PM
Tenby
Scooby Regular

torture and imprisonment wihtout trial or any basic human rights? Glad he is putting an end to it. U cant try and impose democracy and defend human rights whilst committing terrible offences yourself.

We need a change in the way these issue are dealt with and Obama has made a bold step in the right direction.
Old 23 January 2009, 01:22 PM
Tenby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
yeah I mean it's normal to be out in the middle of a war zone, heavily armed with maps of US/UK army bases etc - but actually just out for a picnic or bird watching...

Doesn't take a genius to put 2 and 2 together, but thanks to the PC police they are assumed innocent unless caught red-handed beheading a captive

Defo a big mistake by Obama - we're letting terrorist scum bread like rabbits in Western countries and political correctness stops us being able to tackle the problem...
I feel sorry for people like you to have to live with such a blackened heart. Get out more, open your eyes and see the world for what it is. Embrace others and cultures, don't hate out of pure ignorance.
Old 23 January 2009, 02:10 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Saw a prog about Gitmo the other day and one of the camp guards was saying it is just a big terrorist training camp, All the inmates comparing notes and learning off each other basically. Plus whilst captive there they are building up a bigger and bigger resentment to the west and even if not currently terrorssts will probably become them if they get released.
Old 23 January 2009, 02:15 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95

Yup

Terrorists must be LOL at the news.
Old 23 January 2009, 11:20 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tenby
I feel sorry for people like you to have to live with such a blackened heart. Get out more, open your eyes and see the world for what it is. Embrace others and cultures, don't hate out of pure ignorance.
Well said mate.

Can I suggest the guy you refer to reads Obama's book - 'The Audacity of Hope'? Even if you cant think it yourself, maybe you can pick up on the bigger, better, long-term picture - as elucidated by a balanced and travelled person who is far brighter and worldlywise than many of us here put together????

Just a thought as hate only breeds hate (and 'The West' has actually been out of line for many a century...). In fact, we actually invented slaves, imperialism, and colonialism...the others are merely impersonators

Step back...

D
Old 24 January 2009, 09:17 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Well said mate.

Can I suggest the guy you refer to reads Obama's book - 'The Audacity of Hope'? Even if you cant think it yourself, maybe you can pick up on the bigger, better, long-term picture - as elucidated by a balanced and travelled person who is far brighter and worldlywise than many of us here put together????

Just a thought as hate only breeds hate (and 'The West' has actually been out of line for many a century...). In fact, we actually invented slaves, imperialism, and colonialism...the others are merely impersonators

Step back...

D
There are many who seem to thrive on hate.
It seems there exists a hate industry.
Perhaps hate is the new hope.
Old 24 January 2009, 10:24 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigJay
i personally believe they should be tortured they are criminal scumbags anyway.
Erm...Innocent until proven guilty. Would you, as a british citizen no doubt, like to be treated like that ? I don't think so.

Quick Reply: Has Obama made a huge mistake on his first day?