Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Baby killed by dogs

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2009, 09:15 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby killed by dogs - when will something be done to prevent this happening again!

BBC NEWS | UK | Baby 'killed by family dogs'

Poor little soul, RIP.

DO NOT want to turn this into a all dogs are evil thread!

Each time this happens there is a huge media frenzy, people get upset on both sides and it just dies down and nothing ever happens.

IMHO this is more to do with poor owners in most cases who should not be allowed to keep pets let alone dogs.

I am not getting into the whys and wherefores of this case, little is known at this stage, supposition and conjecture will not help - IMHO

I am more interested in the prevention;
Should we introduce licencing with a yearly/bi annual check, a bit like gun ownership and the costs to go alone with setting up and maintaining the system, Overseen by the Police/RSPCA (extra Police/RSPCA paid for by the revenue from the new system)

or
is there a half way solution
or
Do we just let any person by what they want when they want.

For example with a new policed system;
People with criminal conviction(s) not being allowed to own dogs.

I do think the big problem is that problem is the people who would sign up to this are probably not the ones who need to...

Something really needs to be done!

Last edited by The Zohan; 08 February 2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08 February 2009, 10:03 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

When will people learn?

Poor little sod didn't get much of a chance at life.
Old 08 February 2009, 10:08 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not enough dogfood ?
Old 08 February 2009, 10:09 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I'm not surprised one jot; baby + vicious dog - adult supervision = death
Old 08 February 2009, 10:44 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Staffi and Jack Russell

I'd think leaving your kids alone with dogs like this is as foolish as asking a known kiddie fiddler to baby sit for you.

I'ts not like it's an isolated incident!
Old 08 February 2009, 10:56 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maeks you feel sick though for the parents .. how terrible ..
Old 08 February 2009, 10:56 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of the peole walking around with staffi's are little older the children around here.

I had one jump on my boy in the park a while ago so I yanked the thing off by the collar. I asked the burberry clad owner while he didn't keep the dog on a lead around children to which he sneered "why don't you keep your fukcing son on a lead"
Old 08 February 2009, 11:00 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Some of the peole walking around with staffi's are little older the children around here.

I had one jump on my boy in the park a while ago so I yanked the thing off by the collar. I asked the burberry clad owner while he didn't keep the dog on a lead around children to which he sneered "why don't you keep your fukcing son on a lead"

I think I would have had to repeatedly hit the owner round the head with his own dog for that.
Old 08 February 2009, 11:01 AM
filfy
Scooby Regular

I hope you then proceeded to kick 10 shades of **** out of him and his mut.
Old 08 February 2009, 11:04 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by filfy
I hope you then proceeded to kick 10 shades of **** out of him and his mut.

I did feel like twatting him one it's people like this that should not be allowed to keep animals.
Old 08 February 2009, 11:14 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It just seems very unwise to leave a baby alone with a dog like that, however docile it appeared to be.

Les
Old 08 February 2009, 11:17 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It just seems very unwise to leave a baby alone with a dog like that, however docile it appeared to be.

Les

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would know that already though, I hope the owner of the dogs is prosecuted and sent to prison. If an example is made then maybe a few more owners of these types of dogs would think twice about their actions.
Old 08 February 2009, 11:19 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Don't blame the dogs, it all boils down to the owner. I've had staffs for nearly 20 years and not once have they attacked another person/child or dog.

Dogs get confused when a new child is brought into the home, you find people tend to play with the child in the same way the played with the dog before the child came on the scene.

We are guilty of doing it sometimes and it confuses the hell out of him, he's like 'thats my game' why am I being pushed away?

He does not like her touching him either and tends to run off and hide, but on the other hand he is quite happy to let her take his bones/food and toys and just sits there till she gives them back...this is repeated several times as she crys once he has the toy back.

She is not allowed near him while he eats but if she mangaes to get near she will take the dryed food from his bowl and he just carries on eating.

That said she is never left alone with him - leaving a child with any dog not just a staff is like leaving them with a wolf.

YouTube - SBT - The 'Real' Story

Here he is about to remove her ear

Last edited by T5OLF; 08 February 2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08 February 2009, 11:20 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tragic, I think the problem is that people leave babies around Dogs not expecting them to be a problem and they wont be 99.99% of the time, the Dogs aren't necessarily vicious killers but they are breeds that were originally bred for killing rats and other small prey and Bull baiting in the case of the Staff, I am afraid that a baby might be seen as prey being so small.

It keeps happening and any dog is capable of hurting or killing a baby but I think perhaps that there should be some kind of background check and licensing for owning a Dog, with more stringent criteria for owning bigger and more potentially dangerous Dogs, as lets face it some breeds attract the type of owners that really shouldn't have one.
Old 08 February 2009, 11:22 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

^

Great parenting
Old 08 February 2009, 11:34 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
Don't blame the dogs, it all boils down to the owner. I've had staffs for nearly 20 years and not once have they attacked another person/child or dog.

Dogs get confused when a new child is brought into the home, you find people tend to play with the child in the same way the played with the dog before the child came on the scene.

We are guilty of doing it sometimes and it confuses the hell out of him, he's like 'thats my game' why am I being pushed away?

He does not like her touching him either and tends to run off and hide, but on the other hand he is quite happy to let her take his bones/food and toys and just sits there till she gives them back...this is repeated several times as she crys once he has the toy back.

She is not allowed near him while he eats but if she mangaes to get near she will take the dryed food from his bowl and he just carries on eating.

That said she is never left alone with him - leaving a child with any dog not just a staff is like leaving them with a wolf.

YouTube - SBT - The 'Real' Story

Here he is about to remove her ear

Sorry mate, but one bite from that dog and she is toast, the stakes are a little high for me, just to prove the dog is fine.
Old 08 February 2009, 11:39 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by kingofturds

these are exactly the sort of people who should not own a dog - or have kids for that matter but they have 'rights' and know them and do exactly what they want!

Another status dog!
Old 08 February 2009, 11:57 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

A Staffi and a Jack Russell?
Must be the perfect combination.
Jack Russell to start it and Staffi to finish it.
I know this is harsh - but just how thick are some dog owners?
Old 08 February 2009, 12:05 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

T5olf, i wouldn't attempt to defend staffys, there are as many staffy haters here as there are lovers. this thread will turn into a staffy bashing thread, as you can see, one poster has already made a story to a staffy being a chav 'status' dog, (this woman was granny chav perhaps). whereas i would question the decision to leave the baby alone with the 'dogs', the breed is ireelevant, dogs are dogs, and some will attempt pick up crying baby by the neck, or get spooked by noises a baby make...... if the baby was left alone in bathwater and drowned, would the water become evil, or the person who left the baby alone.
Old 08 February 2009, 12:08 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gallois
T5olf, i wouldn't attempt to defend staffys, there are as many staffy haters here as there are lovers. this thread will turn into a staffy bashing thread, as you can see, one poster has already made a story to a staffy being a chav 'status' dog, (this woman was granny chav perhaps). whereas i would question the decision to leave the baby alone with the 'dogs', the breed is ireelevant, dogs are dogs, and some will attempt pick up crying baby by the neck, or get spooked by noises a baby make...... if the baby was left alone in bathwater and drowned, would the water become evil, or the person who left the baby alone.

There are many about, some are in their early 30's
Old 08 February 2009, 12:13 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Poor child
Can see which way this thread will end up, so will leave it there.
Old 08 February 2009, 12:15 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

"tyson" says it all really
Old 08 February 2009, 12:42 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
"tyson" says it all really

I used to have a cat called "Tyson", someone stole him.
Old 08 February 2009, 12:55 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Sad loss of a young life.

The "prey drive" of small dogs should always be accounted for, my three could hurt a cat, if they ever caught one...

However none have ever shown violence towards a human being.

It helps if they are brought up with kids, imho.

dunx
Old 08 February 2009, 01:11 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
There are many about, some are in their early 30's

You have to have a chav dog, goes with the chav car most of us own.
Old 08 February 2009, 01:17 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

amazing how easy this could have been avoided

Old 08 February 2009, 01:37 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

what are classed as Chav dogs????? i cant believe some people on here are so up their own **** that they label something "chavy" just because they are a common siting these days. Stop talking out of you **** and get back on topic please.
Old 08 February 2009, 01:59 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Tragic, I think the problem is that people leave babies around Dogs not expecting them to be a problem and they wont be 99.99% of the time, the Dogs aren't necessarily vicious killers but they are breeds that were originally bred for killing rats and other small prey and Bull baiting in the case of the Staff, I am afraid that a baby might be seen as prey being so small.

It keeps happening and any dog is capable of hurting or killing a baby but I think perhaps that there should be some kind of background check and licensing for owning a Dog, with more stringent criteria for owning bigger and more potentially dangerous Dogs, as lets face it some breeds attract the type of owners that really shouldn't have one.
In the case of Jack Russells, I would say most are only a couple of generations away from their working roots and their hunting/killing instincts are stronger than just about any other dogs. Staffies' original purpose and instincts are a long way removed by comparison, but having said that, they are still terriers, and very powerful ones.
To leave the baby sleeping downstairs with them? How stupid can she be?
Old 08 February 2009, 02:06 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gallois
Funnily enough the breed is quite relevant and the irony (not wishing to take away from the dreadful death of this 3 month old) is that Staffie's have a good rep with kids and are suggested on the Kennel Club site.

However, some breeds of dogs are not so good with kids, Jack Russells are not recommended!

It is down to many factors including getting the dogs used to children whilst the dog is young for a start and then there is training and good dog ownership and practices - not just buying the poor beast a chest harness and kicking him/her when you feel like it!

As for 'chavvy' dogs - the Staffie like the Rottie are great breeds, sadly chavs buy them so they look 'ard and for status amongst the other chavs, same reason they buy old Scoobs, BM's, etc - Status.

Bad and irresponsible owners are the main problem so has anybody got anything to say about my thoughts on licencing for instance?

Quick Reply: Baby killed by dogs