Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Price fixing

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2009, 06:59 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Price fixing

Why are companies like British Airways and Virgin Atlantic fined millions for fixing prices, and yet the EU and governments around the world get off Scot free ? We all know that farmers are restricted on how many sheep/cattle etc they can have. We know about millions of tonnes of fruit and veg ploughed into the ground or left to rot to maintain prices. In the 80's we had butter mountains (and they wouldn't let anyone slide down them ) and wine lakes (they wouldn't let us swim in ) all to fix prices. When I drive through our beautiful Yorkshire Dales I despair at the endless rolling hillsides devoid of animals, when I recall from my childhood that they were fair teaming with sheep, pigs, cows, chickens etc etc. Yet when I wander through my local supermarket I see French, Spanish, American and Italian apples; New Zealand lamb; Brazilian beef. Butter made 30 miles away from me costs 28p more than butter made 12,500 miles away and shipped here on massive oil-burning container ship

Why aren't they prosecuted, as if our farmers were given free reign over what to do on their own land, we could all eat cheaper, healthier, locally produced and much more environmentally friendly produce ?
Old 21 February 2009, 07:34 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I know what you mean.... I spent many years on the North Yorks Moors and there is absolutely nothing for miles (well that is not true according to QI )....
Old 21 February 2009, 07:41 PM
spireite
BANNED

Speaking of the dales (peaks not mentioned)(off topic ) about time you sorted a run out around the shrines corradoboy
Old 21 February 2009, 07:44 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Ooh, a run out Who's gonna lend me a Scooby Or do I have to embarrass you all in my diesel again

BOT
Old 21 February 2009, 07:51 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

It will probably make naf all difference but in my household we are having a purge of imported food, luckily we live quite close to farms, and we are avoiding as much as possible to buy fruit/veg and meat from supermarkets. The produce from the farm shops is far superior, only thing is produce doesn't last half as long which demonstrates just how many preservatives are pumped into the tosh you get on the supermarket shelves.

This has now extended to banning the missus from buying flowers/paper and all sorts like this from Tesco and the like, if she wants flowers she can go to the flower shop etc.

A big feel good factor for buying British and keeping the little man in business.

Last edited by cookstar; 21 February 2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 21 February 2009, 07:58 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Yup, I buy meat from our local butcher who is supplied from the Three Dales (Wharfedale, Swaledale and Nidderdale) in Yorkshire. I used to use a local farm shop for veg, but they got greedy and ended up more expensive than the supermarket, so I'm back there for veg. The supermarkets sell me milk and cleaning products, that's it.
Old 21 February 2009, 08:04 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Yup, I buy meat from our local butcher who is supplied from the Three Dales (Wharfedale, Swaledale and Nidderdale) in Yorkshire. I used to use a local farm shop for veg, but they got greedy and ended up more expensive than the supermarket, so I'm back there for veg. The supermarkets sell me milk and cleaning products, that's it.

Maybe if everybody boycotted supermarket veg etc, there would be more good old fashioned fruit and veg shops opening, therefore making the market more competitive. It might not happen but it's a nice thought.
Old 21 February 2009, 11:42 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are no poor farmers near me LOL

Shaun
Old 21 February 2009, 11:53 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Lots of dead ones who commit suicide though Supposedly on the rise.