Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Does file sharing ultimately mean you buy more music? Discuss...

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2009, 10:04 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does file sharing ultimately mean you buy more music? Discuss...

I've found that since I began file sharing I actually spend more on CD's than I did before. I tend to download albums that I wouldn't have considered buying previously then I listen to them, get hooked and have to buy the CD version

Is this need to own the CD a middle aged thing or do you younguns do it too? I've even paid full price for downloads then fallen in love with the album and had to buy the CD version too
Old 22 February 2009, 10:12 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Not sure it's an age thing as I never feel the need to buy the CD no matter how good the album is. I cannot remember the last time I bought a CD. I do pay for downloads though.
Old 22 February 2009, 10:18 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Hi Sal

Sort of know where you are coming from and perhaps for those of us who are bit older it make sense. However, for the younger generation I'm afraid they will grow up thinking that it is the norm just to d/l what they want and not have to pay for it.

I do think that you will see more and more bands playing live as this is one of the few ways that they will be able to guarantee making some money! I think the last stat I read said that 95% of all music downloads were illegal.

Sad, but I don't really know what the answer is either
Old 22 February 2009, 10:21 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Its certainly a way of getting to hear more music,

who want to pay £10 for an album that you may only listen too once?

I have stacks of CD's bought over the years, to find apart from one track, the album is cack.

Also a lot of the back catalouge / or obscure stuff, still isn't available from some labels

Mart
Old 22 February 2009, 10:24 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We still buy quite a few albums, bung them on Itunes on my NAS so we can all listen to it on various devices, can use it in the car and CD's are still viable as a gift, there is something a bit crap about an Itunes voucher as a present.
Old 22 February 2009, 10:26 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I read this week that the illegal downloads thing was meaning that bands have to actually work, ie. play live to earn a crust these days which really, when you think about it is how it should be. At least this means that in the future that musicians will be able to play and singers will actually be able to sing

I have no problem paying for music at all, and think it's wrong to expect to get it for nothing (although I do think it's overpriced here hence why all my stuff comes from abroad) but it's just this weird need I have to own the disc, even if once I've ripped it it never gets used again.
Old 22 February 2009, 10:28 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

The answer is that music becomes free. The artist will get MORE revenue from performing - going back to how music should be seen (and that's coming from a Producer )

There's still a big market for studio-based music, but the challenge has always been (and IMHO, proves the worthiness of the artist ) their ability to carry it off "live".
The merchandise will be a big money-maker (no change there then!) - live downloads of the band JUST after you've seen them etc.....

I think the "CD" will die a death.

Dan
Old 22 February 2009, 10:47 AM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
but it's just this weird need I have to own the disc, even if once I've ripped it it never gets used again.
Same for me, I'm quite willing to track down and download "preview" copies of CDs to see if I'm going to like them but if I do I will always buy the CD once it comes out, but the vast majority of the ones I buy just get ripped and put away never to see the light of day again. I really object to paying for downloaded music, I know that the actual cost of the CD and packaging is relatively small but at least it is a real physical item, digital downloads in a lot of cases cost almost as much as the proper CD for a series of 0s and 1s. One thing I do spend quite a lot on is actually going to see live gigs, often more obscure bands that I would not have the slightest interest in without some form of slightly dubious downloading to form an opinion of whether they would be worth seeing!
Old 22 February 2009, 11:33 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i think the music biz has been "havin it away" for years, taking advantage of the "format wars"

they,ve sold "Abba Gold" on vinyl, tape, DAT, CD and now downloads

but in my rather simplistic view if I bought it on vinyl -- then I have bought the physical entity -- plus the right to listen to the music
, if I want it on CD -- why shouldn't I just pay for the new format i.e. just the cost of the new media, but no it seems the music biz want me to buy the right to listen to the music again -- mad

i download music through file sharing, mostly stuff I have already got on vinyl but its easier to get it to an MP3 format that way

I really dont think the music biz understand the digital age
Old 22 February 2009, 12:15 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Hi Sal

However, for the younger generation I'm afraid they will grow up thinking that it is the norm just to d/l what they want and not have to pay for it.

(
Not always. My 15 and 18yr old neices d/l from limewire, but........

1. They know its not the "right thing to do".
2. Still get CD's for christmas of the groups they like.

£8 is a lot for a teenager to spend on a cd they dont like.

As for myself i use "free" music to preview bands. Recently i d/l Youth and young manhood by K&L. After 4 weeks of listening i bought all 4 cd's in one go. No different from home taping when you were a kid. I remember borrowing Born to Run, subsequently bought every BS album released.

I still regret selling my album collection. Roger Daltry was moaning last week at the demise of the album cover, and yes, records did sound better.

Would Keith Richards have met Mick Jagger if he had seen him on the tube with an ipod, rather than a bunch of R&B albums under his arm.