Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

OK, I give in....waht IS the game with recycling?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2009, 11:16 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OK, I give in....waht IS the game with recycling?

How come, when most people are trying hard to recycle what they can, when government and councils are threatening fines etc for non-conforming, and when we spend ages in every week sorting stuff and lugging different bins and boxes to the gate, the MANUFACTURERS are working equally hard to STOP us doing our best?

Just two examples recently, but there ARE more: Bonjela: what's the game with these little sticks you break, then dab on? Alls you can do with that is bin it, whereas the empty tube of ointment you could rub on, could be recycled: plastic.

Kit-Kat: They USED to be wrapped in paper and silver foil, both recyclable. NOW they are in some sort of plastic foil: bin.

WHY aren't government making as much fuss with them as they do with us, and threateneing fines etc?
Old 23 February 2009, 11:23 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

There is a place that you can complain about excessive packaging, I agree about the big players not pulling there weight.
I live in hicksville and all the farm shops etc are really trying, they use paper bags, dont use stickers on the fruit anymore. All the jam is in different jars as they use old donated jars.
Then I go to Sainsburys and see Easter eggs wrpped in 100 weight of plastic and ribbons.

As for those Bonjels sticks.... My god.... You know there are £4 a pop!!! Two in a pack for £8. I have never had an ulcer that hurts that bad.
Old 23 February 2009, 11:29 AM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

The recycling lark is a pile of pish. I recently watched Panorama or something about your recycled rubbish ending up in land fill sites in India etc, also our local council have been caught emptying it in the same rubbish tips as regular rubbish. I think only .1% (if that) actually gets recycled, but the Government need to keep the 'You're killing the planet nonsense up' to tax the crap out of us.
Old 23 February 2009, 11:58 AM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Nespresso coffee 'pods' annoy me. What a waste for one cup.

Although the free ones at work are okay, obviously.
Old 23 February 2009, 12:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I keep wondering why when I follow the dustbin lorry down the road, I see the different types of bags of re-cycled stuff all thrown into the same crusher!

Les
Old 23 February 2009, 12:39 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

I remember reading that recycling is a load of rubbish and that land fills were better for the enviroment
Old 23 February 2009, 02:13 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

My mate still laughs when anyone mentions recycling by councils.

He used to work on a landfill site for Preston council; regardless of the lorry contents, it pretty much got tipped & buried. He reckoned they saved a fortune on not sorting & storing everything in the "correct" piles/bins.

Last edited by spider; 23 February 2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spolling :)
Old 23 February 2009, 02:47 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

It is a pointless exercise at this moment in time, you just need to take a look over at the Yanks and Chinese to realise that putting a couple of bottles in the recycle box every week is a waste of time.

This was a report on this a while back and in regards to what the government say..

Recycling facts and figures

It basically said it was all bollocks and that more energy was used to recover the waste to a usable state.
Old 23 February 2009, 05:26 PM
Rorschach
Scooby Regular

Agreed with dedrater, I just chuck everything in the same bin and whatever happens to it after that isn't my concern. I pay for it to get taken away end of story.
All a scam. I know one woman who gets a few newspapers bottles and other crap and drives around 17 miles to recycle it because it's green or some such bollox. What about the gallon and half of petrol you burnt taking it there you dozy bint?
Old 23 February 2009, 06:34 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
There is a place that you can complain about excessive packaging, I agree about the big players not pulling there weight.
I live in hicksville and all the farm shops etc are really trying, they use paper bags, dont use stickers on the fruit anymore. All the jam is in different jars as they use old donated jars.
Then I go to Sainsburys and see Easter eggs wrpped in 100 weight of plastic and ribbons.

As for those Bonjels sticks.... My god.... You know there are £4 a pop!!! Two in a pack for £8. I have never had an ulcer that hurts that bad.
Dab a bit of Coke on it. It's cheaper!
Old 23 February 2009, 07:58 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

We have a recycling bin for our flat but the council will not take our cardboard or plastic which is pretty much the bulk of our recycling really. We pretty much just put glass in it.
Old 23 February 2009, 10:03 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

With prices as they are it either gets stored in expensive wharehouses or put in landfill.
Waste of time, waste of money. But its about Tony and his f****ing stupid targets
Old 23 February 2009, 11:43 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Penn and Teller carefully explain re-cycling in their usual discrete and subtle manner.

Penn and Teller Bullsh*t: Recycling

WARNING - contains strong language!

mb
Old 24 February 2009, 12:48 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

been reading a few things recently on recycling, more specifically computer recycling. When the price of metals was skyhigh companies and councils where falling over themselves and each other to recylce as much as possible.

But now the price is virtually zero, you cant give the stuff away.

As a responsible business, I try to give away the stuff which works to charity and the stuff which doesnt used to get collected and taken away, now its worth nothing at scrap value I am having to pay to get the same companies who where paying me 6 months ago to take the same stuff away.

As for our local council recycling and rubbish collection. its now almost 8 weeks into the year and we've had our bins emptied just 3 times. And everything went in the same lorry!
Old 25 February 2009, 06:12 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

My ex used to laugh at me anytime i took glass to be recycled cos it was a bit ironic with the fumes coming from a high performance car