Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Motor Insurers' Bureau...........waste of time?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2009, 12:11 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Insurers' Bureau...........waste of time?

Last July, my eldest was t-boned by an uninsured driver who ran a give-way sign on a 60mph road, putting my lad's Clio in the ditch and giving him and his passenger whiplash.

Tesco, his insurers, basically said they would cover the claim as he was fully comp, but he had to pay £700 excess and they would knock him off his two years ncd.

He did ask them about getting it back, how to get his excess back, but they were distinctly unhelpful, "not our problem", and also lied to him about where the car HAD to be repaired, (I was out of the country, so couldn't help), and he ended up without a vehicle for 5 weeks since they would only cover him for two weeks hire car.

Anyway, he contactged the Motor Insurers' Bureau, (MIB).

They told him that they would:

Reimburse his £700 excess,
Reimburse Tesco and pressure Tesco to reinstate his ncd,
Pay him and his passenger compensation for lost earnings, etc,
Pursue the unisnsured driver for their costs.
All dependent on it being a no-fault claim.

Nothing happened for a while. Then we had letters from the CPS saying the kid had pleaded guilty to both offences, (DWI, and DWDCA), and been fined a TOTAL of £135 for the two with £60 costs and six points Not much really for two fairly major offences.

Anyway, MIB then woke up again, contacted my lad and his passenger saying they had to have medicals..............6 months after the accident?????
But he's working in Holland, so I phoned them, told them that and asked them to sort it asap, as he needs the NCD reinstated soon.

Last week HE rang them as he had heard nowt, to be told that I had told them he was working abroad and no longer wished to pursue the claim

How supid is that?

They then restarted the claim and offered him a TOTAL of £650

They now also say that they:

CAN'T pressure or reimburse Tesco
CAN'T do anything if Tesco refuse to reinstate his ncd
CAN'T pursue the kid who wasn't insured
And finally, CAN'T pay my lad any more than a maximum of £1700.

What is the use of this group then? I THOUGHT that all insurers payed into the schem in order to protect drivers who are hit by unisured drivers?

And meanwhile, the little ****** who caused £5000 damage to my lad's pride and joy, cost him £700, plus injured him and his mate and cost them both time off work, gets off for £195.

Time this was sorted. Sorry for the rant.
Old 23 February 2009, 12:24 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

In general they are there to cover uninsured losses, i.e someone 3rd party only being hit by an uninsured driver. From what I understand they are not really there to cover every last penny.

Sounds like a nightmare rollercoaster ride you are having there though. Some straight information, and correct at that im sure would be appreciated.

As for NCB, thats totally up to the insurance company. Seeing as they have paid out, they are well within their rights to knock the NCB. Some policies protect against this.
Old 23 February 2009, 12:35 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i had the exact same thing happen to me -- my parked car hit by an idiot with no licence etc etc

I rang the MIB, I didnt even get passed the "computer says no" bit, they basically said what Snazy says i.e. someone 3rd party only being hit by an uninsured driver
Old 23 February 2009, 12:44 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I would suggest that your lad gets in contact with a reputable APIL registered firm of solicitors and instruct them on a No Win - No Fee basis. They will take on the mantle of sorting out the MIB

The same goes for your lad's mate and he will be advised to sue your lad/Tesco as well as claiming from the MIB (don't worry, shouldn't affect your lad's premium as Tescos will be unlikely to have to pay out (MIB will) but it might stick a poker up their backside).
Old 23 February 2009, 12:59 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Lots of interesting things to read on Frequently asked questions - guarantee fund

I dont think it prides itself in fast turn arounds, from recollection its usually a slow and pretty painful process, but pays in the end.