Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Greyhounds - good pets?

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2009, 04:49 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greyhounds - good pets?

been looking at the local RSPCA for a rescue dog. looked at couple of cross GSDs, who were both a bit franctisc, but they had a lovely gray greyhound bitch, was was superb on the lead, and very placid.

The staff reconed they made good pets, and have heard that before.

anyone had / got them with young kids?
Old 22 March 2009, 05:16 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Our neighbours took on a rescue greyhound a few months ago, and have just taken on another one in the last 2 weeks (they already have 2 King Charles spaniels and 3 cats!). Lovely, lovely dogs.

Greyhound Gap - Rescue for Greyhounds & Lurchers - Registered Charity no 1113207
Old 22 March 2009, 05:48 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

It'll like lots of exercise and long walks, so dont get it unless you have either a very big garden, or plenty of time to take it out.

My wifes stepfather just bought a farm bred borer collie to keep him company when he goes running ( hes the sort of nutter who goes for a 10 mile run for something to do, and does marathons for a laugh ).

Last edited by MikeCardiff; 22 March 2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 22 March 2009, 05:52 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

from what I've read and been told, they don't actually need much excercise. they like a good blast, then a good sleep. off the lead though they will go for anything small and furry, but then the neighbour's cat bit my daughter yesterday...
Old 22 March 2009, 05:56 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard they dont need much excercise either
Old 22 March 2009, 06:01 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Correct that is a well known misconception. They just need regular exercise like any other dog. They are also very affectionate and great with kids.
Old 22 March 2009, 06:02 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

They can be timid

Trending Topics

Old 22 March 2009, 06:25 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Correct that is a well known misconception. They just need regular exercise like any other dog. They are also very affectionate and great with kids.
it'll do the school run which will be 2x 45 mins a day, plus an evening outing, whihch sounds like plenty. My great gran managed one when she was 80.

we wanted something easy n the lead, for the school run, but I don't like small dogs, so she seems ideal. good looking girl too
Old 22 March 2009, 07:43 PM
sti-chris
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im sure they get on well with other pets such as Rabbits !!

Good on you rescuing a pet.
Old 22 March 2009, 07:44 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

Yes, Greyhounds do make good pets. I've had 6 since 1992 and it's unlikely that I'd have any other type of dog now. I've currently got a dog and a bitch and they're great - the bitch is currently looking at my piece of toast with these great big brown eyes, so it looks as if I'll lose it!! This is Amber:

They do tend to be quite lazy - a couple of 20 minute walks a day and they will mooch around the garden. They can be difficult to get out when it rain though!!!

My dog will run round the garden (the bitch is too lazy) and probably reach about 25mph - they look fab at speed.

As said in an earlier post, they will chase small furry objects, so it is sensible to make sure any hedges / fences are in good repair and that gates are secure just in case.

Check out Retired Greyhound Trust > Home for some facts, helpful tips, etc

I'm biased, but I say go for it.

Cheers

Simes
Old 22 March 2009, 07:44 PM
ianc61
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
it'll do the school run which will be 2x 45 mins a day, plus an evening outing, whihch sounds like plenty. My great gran managed one when she was 80.

we wanted something easy n the lead, for the school run, but I don't like small dogs, so she seems ideal. good looking girl too
I got a rescue greyhound about 1 year and a half ago. They make excellent pets. As mentioned above they do not need a lot of exercise and much prefer to spend their time sleeping. 2 x 45 min walks would be plenty. They do like a good blast around the garden or park or even house but after a couple of minutes they are tired and ready for a sleep. They are great with kids and most will happily live with cats and other pets. They also need a coat for the winter as they do feel the cold due to not having much body fat. Try this link for more info Greyhound Rescue Groups in the UK - Welcome / Home

Last edited by ianc61; 22 March 2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 22 March 2009, 08:13 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simes777
Yes, Greyhounds do make good pets. I've had 6 since 1992 and it's unlikely that I'd have any other type of dog now. I've currently got a dog and a bitch and they're great - the bitch is currently looking at my piece of toast with these great big brown eyes, so it looks as if I'll lose it!! This is Amber:

They do tend to be quite lazy - a couple of 20 minute walks a day and they will mooch around the garden. They can be difficult to get out when it rain though!!!

My dog will run round the garden (the bitch is too lazy) and probably reach about 25mph - they look fab at speed.

As said in an earlier post, they will chase small furry objects, so it is sensible to make sure any hedges / fences are in good repair and that gates are secure just in case.

Check out Retired Greyhound Trust > Home for some facts, helpful tips, etc

I'm biased, but I say go for it.

Cheers

Simes
they'd barely get up to a trop in our garden, but at least it's all fenced in
there's a large common gound nearby, very popular for dog walkers - though it's also the army shooting range. it'll get plenty of trips to the woods and beach too (one reason I wanted a dog - it gets you out far more)
Old 22 March 2009, 08:27 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

They are amazing pets, They are well mannered, easily trained, very loyal and good with kids/cats.
We have a little girl and she is the kindest dog you could hope to meet. They need a minimum of 2 walks a day 20 - 40 minutes depending on the weather but they can happily trot along for hours if you want to take them for a day out.
They travel very well in cars (generally) and have no associated breed health problems.

They dont eat a lot and are happy to be left alone for a few hours if you need to pop to the shops.
This is a general overview, certain dogs like certain people differ.

We do a few bits and pieces for these guys
Celia Cross Greyhound Trust - Greyhound Rescue
they have about 18 dogs for rehoming at the moment.

Here is our girl Tilly.
Old 22 March 2009, 08:44 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

40 MPH couch potatoes lovely dogs, just remember they love to chase soft fluffy things and kill em !
Old 22 March 2009, 08:45 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

not sure, cant catch the fvcker
Old 22 March 2009, 08:50 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Great dogs and good on you for getting a rescue dog!
Old 22 March 2009, 08:52 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ianc61
that looks so cute
Old 22 March 2009, 11:16 PM
ianc61
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bish667
that looks so cute
A few more, she does like the camera

Old 23 March 2009, 04:25 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

We've had Stevie, a five years old ex-racer, for four months now and she's wonderful. They can be a bit confused by stuff when you first get them home (stairs, washing machines, telly, hoover etc.) but they seem really quick to adapt to living in the lap of luxury. I'd be a bit careful about letting any ex-racer off lead though until it's had some training lessons and even then you will loose them if they spot a rabbit, a cat, a squirrel or a deer and they've got bloody good eyesight! Stevie killed a rat on Friday night whilst walking on the lead - they're like needle nosed Ninjas.

We take Stevie traing once a week and she is progressing well but don't expect all of them to "sit" - i've only seen Stevie do it 3 or 4 times and that was when she was scratching but a good trainer will know this. We take her to a large fenced area twice a week and she'll run like a looney for 5 minutes then be knackered but like Tim said they will happily walk for hours if you build them up to it.

There are lots of good websites and we bought a couple of books from Amazon that were very useful. They do have a few quirks but are more than worth the effort required and can suit non dog lovers as they don't really moult and aren't supposed to bark much but i think ours skipped this page of the manual.

I'd say go for it but watch out as you will probably end up with a house full of them!

Roy (looking at cars with bigger boots to fit two greyhounds in)
Old 23 March 2009, 08:55 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

thats making me want one now
Old 23 March 2009, 09:10 PM
ianc61
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bish667
thats making me want one now
Go on, you know you want one, there are loads of retired racers needing good homes and they really do make great pets
Old 23 March 2009, 10:52 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Very affectionate dogs.....

Just wouldn't leave one alone with my kids????

greyhound
Old 23 March 2009, 11:14 PM
.:mike:.
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with all that has been said with greyhounds being superb pets! They're so gentle and affectionate, so long as you're not small and furry! From what I understand they vary with respect to kids - just as any dog does, but overall I've heard they're pretty good. Look at lurchers/deerhounds too if you're interested in greyhounds, here's my lurcher Kym - collie cross and totally fab!

She was a rescue dog and is a superb pet. Its a shame that there are so many greyhounds/lurchers that are ex working dogs sitting in rescues/kennels.
Old 24 March 2009, 10:02 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wiltshire_boy
We've had Stevie, a five years old ex-racer, for four months now and she's wonderful. They can be a bit confused by stuff when you first get them home (stairs, washing machines, telly, hoover etc.) but they seem really quick to adapt to living in the lap of luxury. I'd be a bit careful about letting any ex-racer off lead though until it's had some training lessons and even then you will loose them if they spot a rabbit, a cat, a squirrel or a deer and they've got bloody good eyesight! Stevie killed a rat on Friday night whilst walking on the lead - they're like needle nosed Ninjas.

We take Stevie traing once a week and she is progressing well but don't expect all of them to "sit" - i've only seen Stevie do it 3 or 4 times and that was when she was scratching but a good trainer will know this. We take her to a large fenced area twice a week and she'll run like a looney for 5 minutes then be knackered but like Tim said they will happily walk for hours if you build them up to it.

There are lots of good websites and we bought a couple of books from Amazon that were very useful. They do have a few quirks but are more than worth the effort required and can suit non dog lovers as they don't really moult and aren't supposed to bark much but i think ours skipped this page of the manual.

I'd say go for it but watch out as you will probably end up with a house full of them!

Roy (looking at cars with bigger boots to fit two greyhounds in)
thanks for the tips
you can't get much bigger than my boot - we can get a fridge freezer in
Old 24 March 2009, 02:42 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ianc61
Go on, you know you want one, there are loads of retired racers needing good homes and they really do make great pets
I will get a dog of some sort once i get a house rather a flat, especially since its a top floor flat i currently live in. Not fair on a pet that needs outdoors.
Old 25 May 2010, 06:41 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

Just joined so sorry to reopen an old thread, I've got two retired greyhounds, been looking to get a car suitable to transport them. Looked a traditional estates A3/S3 Octavia vRS, even Volvo V50, but I am not estate driver, this coming Saturday going to test drive an Impreza WRX hatch (told missus AWD will be useful then we take the dogs walking down muddy farm tracks ;-) I understand the hatch is being dropped with 2011MY so if I am every going go get a Scooby, now is my chance.

So when I want to transport the hounds I will have to drop the back seats, but I can live with that.
Old 25 May 2010, 06:50 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I have a retired greyhound she's lovely, i've grown up with rescued greyhounds, had around 8-10. She fits in the boot of a new shape focus no problem, just needs lifting in there but once she's in she has loads of room, I once had one in a classic shape impreza sport wagon too, loads of room with the seats up
Old 26 May 2010, 03:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have been told that they make outstanding pets. Never had one myself though.

There is a bloke who brings his whippet into the coffee shop at the market every week and she is a lovely creature. Friendly as all get out!

Les