Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Iceland Has Cut Its Interest Rates ....

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2009, 06:39 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Iceland Has Cut Its Interest Rates ....

To 17% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The central bank of crisis-hit Iceland has cut its interest rate to 17%"

That's NOT the APR if you buy a Freezer, by the way! Before some smart 4rse says so ....

Think yourself lucky you live in the UK with 0.5% Interest Rates!
Old 22 March 2009, 06:48 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
For now.
Old 22 March 2009, 07:59 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Ah, now I understand why so many people had their cash in Icelandic banks If the borrowing rate is sky high, then the savers rate is up there too
Old 23 March 2009, 12:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That's NOT the APR if you buy a Freezer, by the way! Before some smart 4rse says so ....

If they would lend that is!

Its the coming inflation which will be the real killer though!

Les
Old 23 March 2009, 12:58 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by FlightMan
For now.
Indeed, if we think thing are bad now if we ever get to double figure interest rates the savers think they will be happy but there won't be much to save when every spare penny will be going into the mortgage.

And those that rent won't be safe either. Someone has to pay the mortgage.
Old 23 March 2009, 01:48 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

That'll be us in 12 months or so.
Old 23 March 2009, 01:54 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulC72
That'll be us in 12 months or so.
I hope so

Trending Topics

Old 23 March 2009, 02:21 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I see that the Icelandic fishing fleet are landing their catches in Grimsby, because the price (and in £££'s) makes it worthwhile.

I say block them out! Cheeky gits!
Old 23 March 2009, 02:39 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coolangatta
I hope so
The UK on an interest of 17% would implode quicker than anything we've seen over the last 12 months.

Mortgages will cripple, secured lending on top of the mortgage will lead to loss of house. Loss of house usually leads to loss of job. Loss of job means no disposable income. No disposable income means people will be buying even less than they are now.

Savers rejoice at 17% interest rates but lets hope those savers don't have a mortgage of their own or rent a home with someone ultimately responsible for the mortgage.

Double figure interest rates will do even more harm to the economy than 0%
Old 23 March 2009, 02:51 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
lets hope those savers don't have a mortgage of their own or rent a home with someone ultimately responsible for the mortgage.
Nope and ...nope, so still from me
Old 23 March 2009, 02:53 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

High interest rates (like 10% PLUS) would be devastating for a lot of people in this country - I lived through when Interest Rates were 17% under the last Tory Government.

The highest EVER high came during the Thatcher government. Geoffrey Howe raised interest rates to 17%. There they stayed until July 1980, and despite the country lurching into a deep recession rates did not fall as low as 10% until summer 1983.

That's 3 years of 10%+ Interest Rates under the last Tory Government ..... and I cannot forget the pain and misery it caused, as opposed to the Labour Governments response in this recession to drop Interest Rates to the lowest level EVER to help people and avoid a long drawn out affair.
Old 23 March 2009, 02:58 PM
Semper
Scooby Regular

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/stati...s/baserate.pdf

For the record.
Old 23 March 2009, 03:15 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

High interest rates (like 10% PLUS) would be devastating for a lot of people in this country - I lived through when Interest Rates were 17% under the last Tory Government.

The highest EVER high came during the Thatcher government. Geoffrey Howe raised interest rates to 17%. There they stayed until July 1980, and despite the country lurching into a deep recession rates did not fall as low as 10% until summer 1983.

That's 3 years of 10%+ Interest Rates under the last Tory Government ..... and I cannot forget the pain and misery it caused, as opposed to the Labour Governments response in this recession to drop Interest Rates to the lowest level EVER to help people and avoid a long drawn out affair.
And was it not the Labour goverment that caused the high interest rates in the early 80's? And also the labour goverment that caused the mess we are currently in, for the low interest rates?
Old 23 March 2009, 03:29 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
And was it not the Labour goverment that caused the high interest rates in the early 80's? And also the labour goverment that caused the mess we are currently in, for the low interest rates?
Only the ignorant think that this crisis is homegrown and not a worldwide issue.

Only guessing can answer the question about whether a Labour Government caused the Tories to increase Interest Rates to 17% - yes, lets remind ourselves, 17%!!! Maybe a Labour Government would have responded as now and SLASHED rates to 0.5%?

Truth is, the Labour Government gave the Bank of England the duty of setting rates .... the Tories dictated what the rates should be - and that was 17%!!

Have you any idea how that destroyed this country? Imagine a 17% Rate now! Suicidal ....... and don't think, for one moment, that they have changed their spots!
Old 23 March 2009, 04:10 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coolangatta
Nope and ...nope, so still from me
You would be in the minority and your sole job would be to save the rest of us drowning under un-managable mortgage payments because only you will have any money to keep the economy going.

Cheers

Seriously though, I would be very surprised if they got to double figures. 5-7 quite possible but 10+ I can't see it. The country would collapse financially. And no quantitativeive ************ will get us out of that sticky situation
Old 23 March 2009, 04:39 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
The UK on an interest of 17% would implode quicker than anything we've seen over the last 12 months.

Mortgages will cripple, secured lending on top of the mortgage will lead to loss of house. Loss of house usually leads to loss of job. Loss of job means no disposable income. No disposable income means people will be buying even less than they are now.

Savers rejoice at 17% interest rates but lets hope those savers don't have a mortgage of their own or rent a home with someone ultimately responsible for the mortgage.

Double figure interest rates will do even more harm to the economy than 0%
Your argument is based around mortgage holders having tracker and variable mortgages though. Those who have fixed rate terms will surely be hoping for rising inflation as their debt worth becomes less as their salaries increase. I do not have facts and figures but i'm sure fixed rate mortgages represent the majority of the mortgage market as people generally like to play the safe game, rather than the gambling gsme.

Bring on inflation i say, lots of it. Those on trackers are benefitting at the moment, but it's only a matter of time before those on fixed rates are benefitting to a far greater extent.

The debt burden is what needs to be fixed and rising inflation and stricter lending will do just that.
Old 23 March 2009, 05:01 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

YUP ...... 25% Inflation Rate and get our debts wiped out by 35% Pay Rises!!

Trouble is, we wouldn't be able to sell anything!
Old 23 March 2009, 05:07 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

The lower the rate the more the cost of setting up the mortgage is going to be (usually) it suggests that people want the house no matter what and if it costs the earth to get they will (this is still happening btw hence why lenders are still able to charge £2,000 arrangement fees)

No one wants a fixed rate mortgage right now (except the smart ones or ones that aren't borrowing beyond their means - yes its still going on) because of base rate. its quite hard to convince someone to pay 4.5% when base is 0.5%.

Theres also the other issue that those that are going for fixed rates are in that period for 2 to 3 years (not many want 5 just in case) very comfy paying 4.5% for 24 months and then wham 12% please! And if base is 12% lenders are certainly not going to be generous to us mere mortals and allow single figure fixed rates.

Inflation is the only way we will get out of this mess - the only problem is that wages will not increase accordingly. Goods and services will go up far quicker than wages so although our debt burden is reduced our ability to actually buy anything is reduced accordingly.
Old 23 March 2009, 06:54 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I have been informed that most borrowers are not going for the 2 year fixed as they know the rate will be higher come 2 years time.

No, they are opting for 5, 10 or even 15 year fixes .... I think Abbey has the best 10 year fixed product at the moment.

And, although I hate them, arrangement fees of £1000 over 10 years will more than be worth it when interest rates are 12%! And you are still paying 5%.
Old 23 March 2009, 10:16 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I fixed my mortgage a few months ago for 5 years, i was a little gutted a while ago, but maybe it was the right thing to do.
Old 24 March 2009, 12:42 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Didn't interest rates reach 17.5% during Callaghan's (Labour) government, I seem to remember that was the one where the IMF refused to lend Healey any more money unless they reduced their profligate government spending, bit like now really!

As usual the Conservatives had to clear up the mess!

Les