Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Wart on dog's leg

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2009, 10:36 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wart on dog's leg

About 18 months ago our vet cut out a small wart that had grown on our KC Cavalier's back leg. He said he had to leave some roots as these were too close to some tendons.

Well it's now grown back. It's on the lower part of her leg slightly smaller than a 5p coin. But it has a cracked scabby top which looks like it might catch on something. It doesn't bother the dog one little bit.

We are taking her to see vet on Tuesday but wondered if any pooch owners had had similar and what did you/vet do about it.

The dog is 11 and we don't like her to have too many GAs as they do carry a risk (plus a bill!!)

As it happens I have a tiny wart like thing on a finger and doc gives it a freezing spray which is supposed to kill it, which doesn't work!

So any experience/comments (for the dog, not my finger ) please?

TIA, David
Old 29 March 2009, 10:43 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Poor little dog, If the dog is ok with it, and your ok with it I would be inclined to leave it. My last dog had similar problems (turned out to be some fungus infection she had aquired) but the wart was not in a place that she could scratch it off so it was left to heal (by recommendation of the vet).
I would try freezing it, It might well grow back but a GA at 11 is a big deal.
Old 29 March 2009, 10:54 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
Poor little dog, If the dog is ok with it, and your ok with it I would be inclined to leave it. My last dog had similar problems (turned out to be some fungus infection she had aquired) but the wart was not in a place that she could scratch it off so it was left to heal (by recommendation of the vet).
I would try freezing it, It might well grow back but a GA at 11 is a big deal.
Thanks Tim, I tend to agree with you. The only slight problem being that it is growing, albeit very slowly. But if it was removed then it might well be back again in a couple of years. d

Last edited by David Lock; 29 March 2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 29 March 2009, 11:00 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I think the chances are it would grow back again, And maybe it will need to be frozen every two years or so but it might be the best option.
I know how emotive dogs can make people having just got a £1900 bill for my greyhounds broken leg...... But if it were me I think I would go for bi annual wart freezing.
Especially when you consider the location of the wart and the GA an opp seems like an unnecessary risk.
Old 29 March 2009, 11:45 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they are a bit of a Spaniel speciality, our old Cocker went all warty in her later years, we were offered an op to remove them at £300 having spent months cleaning them as they used to get very whiffy, she took to itching them on the carpet by rolling on her back, they would bleed so considering she was blind, deaf, had a heart murmur and was getting a bit shaky we had to have her put to sleep.

I think its just an old dog thing, yours is eleven which is around when Molly started with them, a wart is caused by a virus, an older dogs immune system is in decline and as such is less able to fight the virus hence why they get warty.

Ours lived until she was 15, she would have gone on longer if we hadn't called time, beleive me that wasn't easy but she stunk and was leaving blood all over the carpets, we saw no point in an op for a 15 year old dog, even then they weren't really bothering her, she just slept 95 % of the time.

I would say to leave it if it isn't bothering the dog, I am not saying it will get as bad as ours but its just age catching up.
Old 29 March 2009, 01:10 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps, your comments taken on board.

Tim - ouch. Hope greyhound OK now. Rabbit hole?

J4CKO, no SN regular will easily forget Molly

I'll ask about the freezing thing but note this was my GP treating my finger NOT something that the vet has mentioned for the dog, so it may not be appropriate.

Thank goodness it's a dog we have and not a cat as I can imagine SN response to a poorly cat question

David
Old 29 March 2009, 04:04 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Our poor dog was as a result of bad people that owned her breaking her leg, we rescued her, its a lot of money but in my eyes worth the cost.
As for the cat comment, I keep hush about my car ownership too... Hope its good news when you get to the vets.
Old 31 March 2009, 05:38 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Just to finish the story.

She went along to the vets this afternoon. He had a good prod around and thought it best just to leave it alone.

Obviously we'll keep an eye on it but that was good news

David
Old 31 March 2009, 09:11 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Good news mate, Glad to hear pooch is going to be ok.