Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Im off to Nepal in November!

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2009, 01:04 PM
NeilSR
Stickerman!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im off to Nepal in November!

Hi folks, well, just Ive had it confirmed, one of the lads from my work is setting up a team of us to go over to Nepal in November as part of the ChildReach International project, which works with communities in some of the world's poorest regions, helping them to give their children a brighter future, we are going over to renovate the derelict community-run school building and building a safe and fun playground for the kids of Yangrima. We will also be implementing a clean and safe sanitation system and creating job opportunities for the locals.

To do this, we need to each raise £2200 of sponsership by October (sets the team as having a target of £30,000 in 6 months), which will give us the ability to get over there and complete the work that is required to get the community back up and running on its feet.

The school was built in 1985 and was run as a community managed school until 2000 when it was blown up by Maoist rebels. Reopening the school has only become possible recently thanks to the rapidly improving political environment and ex-students who have come back to provide tomorrow's generation with the same opportunity they had 10 years ago.

As a result of the school being derelict, poor children have been deprived of any schooling and have no hope or options to better their opportunities in life.

Successfully completing this project will bring hope to the people of Yangrima and future generations to come. Children will have a genuine chance, through education, to make a better life for themselves, their family and the community.

By donating, your support and generosity will go a long way to making the dreams of these people come true.

So, if possible, please sponsor me and allow us to get over to Nepal and help the community out in the best way possible

A Just Giving page has just been setup for me, and is available here
http://www.justgiving.com/neilwheatley

Thankyou for your support

Old 01 April 2009, 01:07 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Sounds awesome. Would love to see Nepal, hope you set out to achieve what you hope, sounds like a good cause.
Old 01 April 2009, 01:38 PM
NeilSR
Stickerman!

Yep should be good, was chosen from a shortlist of 4, just need top get the money raised and will no doubt have some stupid stunts coming up soon! lol
Old 01 April 2009, 07:55 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Sounds awesome. Would love to see Nepal
Dave, me too My best mate Joe has been a few times trekking and absolutely loves it. It's definitely on my list of things to do before I die

Good luck with the sponsorship Stickmeup
Old 01 April 2009, 07:57 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Don't forget to pack a bullet proof vest

Good luck
Old 02 April 2009, 12:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

One of my worst memories is waiting by a bus stop in Khatmandu when a woman lifted her sari and had a dump in the gutter! We all shifted our feet quickly enough believe me!

Apart from that, its a fascinating place-enjoy!

Les