Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone got an Onkyo SR876?

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2009, 01:55 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone got an Onkyo SR876?

Has anyone got the above receiver? I want get one and connect my media centre pc to it which I use for tv / films etc as it will upscale standard def to full hd.

Only problem is I have looked at the manual and it says that it isnt compatabile with a pc (page 43)

It does say though it is compatabile with hdcp devices which my graphics card is.

Has anyone experienced one used with a pc / media centre?

If not can anyone recommend an amp for a max of £1500 that will upscale (not using the farouda chip so pref the HQV Reon)

Cheers
Old 02 April 2009, 02:07 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

you'll be better finding out on avforums.com they'll have there own 876 thread with everything in

HTH
Old 02 April 2009, 02:15 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

cheers antc, I have looked on there but nothing sticks out (it is a long thread though and is hard work reading through it all!)

May try the forum at whathifi as I can access that from work

Last edited by jaytc2003; 02 April 2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02 April 2009, 05:02 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

You could try the new 2009 range of Pioneer receivers. I'm using last years top model the VSX-LX70. Can't fault it. Linked up to a Pioneer Blu-Ray and Pioneer plasma, it's all the high def I need and more.
Old 02 April 2009, 05:31 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA
You could try the new 2009 range of Pioneer receivers. I'm using last years top model the VSX-LX70. Can't fault it. Linked up to a Pioneer Blu-Ray and Pioneer plasma, it's all the high def I need and more.
to be honest the pioneer was on my list (LX 81 or LX 90 model) as I am getting the pioneer LDP5090 plasma (think thats the model its the top spec without the breakout box) only problem with the pioneer is the upscaling chip used is the faroudia and it isnt as good as scaling standard definition to full hd. That said my current setup isnt upscaling so sexiness of the pioneer is an option
Old 02 April 2009, 07:54 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
Has anyone got the above receiver? I want get one and connect my media centre pc to it which I use for tv / films etc as it will upscale standard def to full hd.

Only problem is I have looked at the manual and it says that it isnt compatabile with a pc (page 43)

It does say though it is compatabile with hdcp devices which my graphics card is.

Has anyone experienced one used with a pc / media centre?

If not can anyone recommend an amp for a max of £1500 that will upscale (not using the farouda chip so pref the HQV Reon)

Cheers
As said just ask the question on av forums, much better than What Hi Fi. Try and get it to work before you get something else. I have the 875, and its an excellent amp for movies, very average for music (hence I have a different set up for the latter)
Old 02 April 2009, 10:44 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
to be honest the pioneer was on my list (LX 81 or LX 90 model) as I am getting the pioneer LDP5090 plasma (think thats the model its the top spec without the breakout box) only problem with the pioneer is the upscaling chip used is the faroudia and it isnt as good as scaling standard definition to full hd. That said my current setup isnt upscaling so sexiness of the pioneer is an option
KRP-500A is the one to go for to be honest. I've got a PDP-LX508D. Picture performance is awesome I must say. Pioneer really are the dogs when it comes to plasma displays in my opinion. Shame they are pulling out of flat panel displays from 2011. I may have to stock up on some goodies before then!

You must have deep pockets if you're considering the SC-LX90. They're currently selling for around £5,500. SC-LX81 is around £1350.

Last edited by MrRA; 02 April 2009 at 10:46 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 03 April 2009, 08:06 AM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

Hi Jay,

The Onkyo is a nightmare to get to work with a PC, I am an AV Installer and have run into this problem.

There is in theory a work around, but I have not been able to make it work yet! It is a device called "DVI detective" which is supposed to handle the HDCP but really doesnt work in this application

I personally would recommend one of the Denon models, though I would need to do some checking as to whether these would handle the PC. Let me know if you would like me to find out for you

Why do you not want the Faroudja chip set?

Jason
Old 03 April 2009, 04:59 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jsh1
Hi Jay,

The Onkyo is a nightmare to get to work with a PC, I am an AV Installer and have run into this problem.

There is in theory a work around, but I have not been able to make it work yet! It is a device called "DVI detective" which is supposed to handle the HDCP but really doesnt work in this application

I personally would recommend one of the Denon models, though I would need to do some checking as to whether these would handle the PC. Let me know if you would like me to find out for you

Why do you not want the Faroudja chip set?

Jason
Cheers Jason, I want or would prefer the Reon as it is supposedly better at the upscaling of standard definition.
I dont get the *feel* for the denom amps, I am sure they are perfectly ok but for some reason I just dont like them (that doesnt make sense I know)

Would you recommend the pioneer range of amps to compliment the tv? From what I have read and a pioneer dealer they have told me it will work with the pc with no problems (I know the tvs do). Do you rate the yamaha range? Think it is the 1900 model and also the 3900 I think?

Originally Posted by MrRA
KRP-500A is the one to go for to be honest. I've got a PDP-LX508D. Picture performance is awesome I must say. Pioneer really are the dogs when it comes to plasma displays in my opinion. Shame they are pulling out of flat panel displays from 2011. I may have to stock up on some goodies before then!

You must have deep pockets if you're considering the SC-LX90. They're currently selling for around £5,500. SC-LX81 is around £1350.
The pioneer dealer has told me they are not doing any new models of plasma now at all, the 9 series is the last of the lot. I had heard that panasonic were going to badge them for pioneer but apparently thats not true. I was getting mixed up with the pioneer amps, it was the 81 and 70 or 71 which I was looking at!!! Pockets arent 5 grands worth of deep