Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Wheeler Dealers - Discovery 240

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2009, 09:27 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheeler Dealers - Discovery 240

Anyone else notice how porky Mike never tells you the mileage, number of owners, etc etc of any of the car's he seems to buy, as a deal ?

Also, he never factors in Edd's or Pauls labour in any of these jobs.

I wonder how many of those sells are actually real ?

Last nights XJS, jesus its was expensive, near £3K ? FFS.

The rear gearbox mount that Edd changed, mmm waste of time, still wobbled !

How can I do a TV program like that ?

SBK

Last edited by sbk1972; 03 June 2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03 June 2009, 12:02 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

When they filmed the first couple of series of this it was next to Just Kampers warehouse in Odiham. At the time my mate worked at Just Kampers, I would go down every so often and watch them messing around etc.
Now for the spoiler bit!!
Just about every car "bought" on that show at the end was by a member of the production team or Just Kampers staff.
If you look at the old Merc project they did when they do an engine shot, if you get the chance pause it, there's a MASSIVE hole in the side of the block.
In reality a vast majority of the cars ended up sitting in the yard and rusting away or getting sold for £20 to scrap.

Ed was a local mad man around these parts for many years, He used to drive around Farnborough on double beds with engines in them, I think he had a motorised arm chair at one point too.
He built that massive shopping trolley for the Jackass movie.
Old 03 June 2009, 12:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Never been impressed by the show anyway.

Les
Old 03 June 2009, 04:12 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

why does ed always wear a long sleeve shirt under a t shirt
Old 03 June 2009, 05:38 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

He doens't like getting greasy arms!!
Old 03 June 2009, 05:46 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

TV though isn't it ? If you factor in the labour charges on nearly all their cars, they wouldn't even break even on them, so it doesnt surprise me at all if the 'buyers' are mates and members of the production team.

Its like the tat they make on Chop Shop - the gangster car they made Martin Kemp was up for sale at a car auction - estimate was £6000 - if you look at what they pay for most of the cars, then spend 3 weeks with half a dozen people working on them who need wages, plus all the new shiny parts they stick on, and a respray, there's no way the could stay in business unless they were selling the cars for £50K each.
Old 03 June 2009, 07:06 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the jag on last nights show has tax until end of the yr so it must of been bought by someone who uses it still,so not sure if all the sales are bought by mates just for the camera ?????

that capri from yrs back was still on the road as of last yr
Old 03 June 2009, 07:15 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The one I saw recently, can't remember if it was the new series or not, and they were looking for some 4wd suzuki something. Anyway, they looked everywhere, as they are supposed to be rare, and "found" one on a farm, that had been outside for a few years. Fired up first time and all that, but it just seemed like so much of a set up.
Old 03 June 2009, 07:53 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i remmeber the integrale one

sold as none runner,also needed a steering rack.

edd gets it and puts a new battery on it,it fires up and only needed an alternator and some bushes underneath,seemed weird a guy would sell it needing a steering rack plus engine work for cheap when it only needed a battery to fire up ?

suppose there are people who let cars go for cheap cause they dont have a clue but ?
Old 03 June 2009, 11:16 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

whoaaa, sod all the stuff about wheeler dealers - ED BUILT THE MOTORISED SHOPPING TROLLEY FOR JACKASS? WOW THAT IS COOOOOL!
Old 04 June 2009, 09:00 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Tim :- Which merc ?? The SL they got from Germany ?? I quite liked that car. I remember a show about a 205 gti, which the sold. During the restore process, driving down the road, the amount of oil being burnt from the exhaust was amazing, only to be then told was fixed due to it being a loose gear change ? heh ?

I wonder who brough the Audi quattro turbo ? How much do those guys get paid for that series ?

SBK
Old 04 June 2009, 10:04 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sbk1972
Tim :- Which merc ?? The SL they got from Germany ?? I quite liked that car. I remember a show about a 205 gti, which the sold. During the restore process, driving down the road, the amount of oil being burnt from the exhaust was amazing, only to be then told was fixed due to it being a loose gear change ? heh ?

I wonder who brough the Audi quattro turbo ? How much do those guys get paid for that series ?

SBK
Remember the 205GTi one. Thought, what the ****... oil = knackered gear linkage, erm...

The 205 was actually for sale recently on Pistonheads, checked the number plate against the episode on Youtube. Was a good car still from the read up.

I do like watching it as you get some good info and tips, but Brewer gets more and more annoying
Old 04 June 2009, 11:58 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sbk1972

SBK
From memory it was an old (80's) 230 or something like that, It was in the first series when they did the Porsche 924.
For the first two series they didnt even bother changing the names of the buyers so at the end of the show you could read for example "camera opp" John P
and the buyer of the car was John P who saw the car advertised locally.

I think the money is pretty good, They sell the format so the get paid whatever they sell the program for.
Of course not all the cars and dodgy, But all the sales are, they may well get a genuine sale afterward but the ones on the show are well sus.

But credit where credits due, Ed is a top bloke, Brewer is a bit if a **** but nice enough and the show is pretty easy to watch TV. Un offensive and you do get the odd good tip.
Old 04 June 2009, 12:32 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordo
whoaaa, sod all the stuff about wheeler dealers - ED BUILT THE MOTORISED SHOPPING TROLLEY FOR JACKASS? WOW THAT IS COOOOOL!
Edd China is actually in the Guiness Book of World Records. He has made some of the worlds faster furniture.
Old 04 June 2009, 12:41 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

I liked that porsche 928. I would of made it road worthy, and just left it.

SBK