Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

MOT Fail problem

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2009, 10:05 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MOT Fail problem

We have an old Fiat 500, bought about three months ago, it failed its MOT on three pages of stuff, needs welding, there is fibreglass underneath, wonky wheel bearings, electrics etc.

It passed an MOT ten months before we bought it, its done 100 miles with its last owner and was kept in a dry garage, we have done perhaps 200 so it doesnt add up, I personally dont think the MOT was legitimate, so what can we do, not bothered about getting them money back, kind of serves us right but I want to get the MOT station some heat for allowing vehicles through that arent roadworthy.
Old 10 June 2009, 10:10 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trading standards or VOSA should be able to help, Or take it back and get a new 12 month ticket
Old 10 June 2009, 10:10 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

You can check it's genuine for a start at the Vosa website, ecen if it is and it doesn't add up, drop them a mail.
Old 10 June 2009, 10:23 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I had a similar thing to this once and was told by the MOT regulator people that the MOT can only be questioned within 30days of it happening!!
Old 10 June 2009, 10:27 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

The MOT is actually only applicable to the day tested ..... obviously someone could put new tyres on, pass MOT, then put bald tyres back on to sell - it still has an MOT, but clearly wouldn't pass.

The MOT could have been fake or stolen, then you have some comeback.

It begs the question though, with 3 pages of fails, why you didn't spot at least a few items when you bought it?

Last edited by SunnySideUp; 10 June 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10 June 2009, 10:29 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

MoT: a decidedly dodgy certificate issued by some garages to give them some income. Otherwise worthless

Source: dictionary of government car-crime.
Old 10 June 2009, 10:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
The MOT is actually only applicable to the day tested ..... obviously someone could put new tyres on, pass MOT, then put bald tyres back on to sell - it still has an MOT, but clearly wouldn't pass.

The MOT could have been fake or stolen, then you have some comeback.

It begs the question though, with 3 pages of fails, why you didn't spot at least a few items when you bought it?
Because I didnt have a ramps and a small hammer to start chiseling away at it, it had photos of the rebuild and seemed solid which it basically is, hard to tell what is beneath hammerite so assumed that the work though a bit rough and ready was at least not standard. Some of it is the not tester getting a bit over zealous as well
Old 10 June 2009, 11:02 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I still think its worthy of reporting; your case alone might not be enough to trigger any action. But VOSA get enough complaints about a garage it will make them more inclined to act.

I mean things like structural corrosion and duff wheel bearings is not on IMO. If there was an issue 12months and 100 miles ago, then there should be advisory notes.
Old 11 June 2009, 12:58 AM
krazy
Scooby Regular

If there were advisory notes and you didn't get them with previous mot's you can check them online.

MOT Information - Introduction

Last edited by krazy; 11 June 2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11 June 2009, 01:09 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
You can check it's genuine for a start at the Vosa website, ecen if it is and it doesn't add up, drop them a mail.
Originally Posted by ALi-B
I still think its worthy of reporting; your case alone might not be enough to trigger any action. But VOSA get enough complaints about a garage it will make them more inclined to act.

I mean things like structural corrosion and duff wheel bearings is not on IMO. If there was an issue 12months and 100 miles ago, then there should be advisory notes.
Yeah, as above, and i think if you do check it, it will also show the advisory notes There may be as many pages again, which would 'sort of' cover the MOT'ers a$$

We've had 2 Fiats (Fix It Again Tomorrow) and sold them both coz they where costing too much

Last edited by Glowplug; 11 June 2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11 June 2009, 07:48 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

2k px for a new one
Old 11 June 2009, 07:56 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
2k px for a new one
Have to own said scrappage car for 12 months minimum
Old 11 June 2009, 09:19 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Moaning about a 10 month old MOT? Are you having a giraffe

If you paid any money for the car you should have asked for a fresh MoT.

Good luck anyway dl
Old 11 June 2009, 09:28 AM
yoza
BANNED

Take it back to the MOT garage that the first one was issued, and re-book the car in.

Leave the old MOT on the passenger seat.

Job done.
Old 11 June 2009, 09:52 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

I would have thought if buying any old heap of scrap like a fiat- and especially a 500-------- you get dirty looking at it.

did you see wheeler dealers buying/repairing one ??????
Old 11 June 2009, 11:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
We have an old Fiat 500, bought about three months ago, it failed its MOT on three pages of stuff, needs welding, there is fibreglass underneath, wonky wheel bearings, electrics etc.

It passed an MOT ten months before we bought it, its done 100 miles with its last owner and was kept in a dry garage, we have done perhaps 200 so it doesnt add up, I personally dont think the MOT was legitimate, so what can we do, not bothered about getting them money back, kind of serves us right but I want to get the MOT station some heat for allowing vehicles through that arent roadworthy.
Its not very good being done like that J4CKO. I'd be hopping mad too.

I think, having read the above, you can only start by going to the garage which issued the ticket and ask them what they mean by it all. If you put the fear of God up them they might find some kind of compensation for you.

Les
Old 11 June 2009, 12:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austinwrx
I would have thought if buying any old heap of scrap like a fiat- and especially a 500-------- you get dirty looking at it.

did you see wheeler dealers buying/repairing one ??????
Yes, not my idea !

I offered to px my car against the new one for the wife, sacrifice my turbo 250 bhp Saab to avoid this, it had to be a proper one, I offered Moggies, A40's, Beetles etc and we didnt insist on a fresh MOT as it had obly done 100 miles since passing one and had been stored ina dry garage.

Now looking at £800 to put it right or inordinate amounts of my time fannying about, you live and learn.
Old 11 June 2009, 01:24 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Either the first passed MOT is dodgy .... or the one you have just had done is dodgy .... I would think it is the first.

A visit to the seller could extract some information - look at the water torture thread
Old 11 June 2009, 01:46 PM
spireite
BANNED

FIAT
Fix It Again Tomorrow
Old 11 June 2009, 08:19 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

isnt the problem with an MOT is that is just a visual test -- they arn't actually allowed to remove anything (not sure if they are even allowed to lift carpets)

so a really well done bodge well get through --- loads of sealer over a good fiberglass repair
Old 11 June 2009, 10:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
isnt the problem with an MOT is that is just a visual test -- they arn't actually allowed to remove anything (not sure if they are even allowed to lift carpets)

so a really well done bodge well get through --- loads of sealer over a good fiberglass repair

Its possible. The tester would need to be deaf as well as blind though.

The tester is allowed to go over all the structure of the car's underside with his little hammer. Corroded metal is easily found by the sound it makes...a dull thud on deep rust as opposed to the sharp resonant bang of solid metal.

When my Landy was MOT'd the tester lost his hammer when tapping the chassis rails, only for a section to fell into a large hole, hammer flew striaght inside the chassis never to be seen again. Before the test it "looked" perfectly sound, thanks the thick coatings of hammerite and underseal (typical old Landy; chassis rots from the inside out).

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 June 2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12 June 2009, 09:25 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Oh well, its back, she is ordering the cheap bits and we will see how we get on, the garage said the indicators were flashing too slowly, which they are but he reckons that the flasher unit is getting to hot, its brand new and I thought the older ones worked on a thermal basis anyway, sure it gets warm but not too hot to hold, they speed up with engine speed which to me says generator or voltage regulator rather than the actual flasher unit ?
Old 12 June 2009, 10:33 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Re: electricts; does the car have a dynamo or an alternator?

If it has a dynamo it could need the charge regulator adjusting (or the connections too it are corroded); Or the battery is knackered/half flat.

Other things that screw up old fashioned indicator flashers are corroded connections and bad earths; check the bulbs and fittings to make sure the bases are have clean metal on the contacts; cleaning them up with fine sandpaper if needed, and check all the wiring, connectors and earthing points are sound. Same with fuses, and the supply to the fuse box etc.

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 June 2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12 June 2009, 11:43 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Its a Dynamo, I was suspecting the regulator.