Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Supercar Driving Experinces

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2009, 12:53 PM
Rubberscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Supercar Driving Experinces

Has anyone here been on one of these days ? If so what was it like ?

Will they let you drive flat out or limit how fast you drive ?

Also what car was you driving and how was it ?

Thanks in advance
Old 21 June 2009, 11:01 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

360 at Donington, wasn't aware of any limits but I doubt they would let you drive like like a loon. 3 laps over in a blink, was it worth it ? .......hell yeah
Old 21 June 2009, 11:49 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Do not go to the three sisters one (if they still do it) My mnate won a comp (with gala Bingo believe it or not) and won a supercar day, he had about 5 minutes in a 355 and the bloke wouldn't let him give it some.

He said had he paid for it he would have been dissapointed.
Old 21 June 2009, 11:51 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

The instructors do judge your ability, you usually go out in a slower car for a few sighting laps to get to know the circuit. During that time the instructor gets a feel of your confidence and ability.
Old 22 June 2009, 11:24 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said
If you're a shyte driver then the instructor isn't going to be very keen on letting you go too fast.

If he thinks you've got some ability then sure he'll let you have a go.
Old 22 June 2009, 11:48 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Old 22 June 2009, 12:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went on the Three Sisters one and quite enjoyed it, didnt feel as if I was limited, they tell you not to change from third but I did, the 360 was a paddle shift and I couldnt help myself, the guy supervising me in the Ferrari wasnt happy about me changing gear but to be honest you get the idea in third, I got it slightly sideways and he wasnt phased. I personally kind of like the Ferrari, dramatic noise and it just revs and revs but the interior felt like a big Fiat Coupe, it felt a bit nervous and to be honest (an I appreciate its a well used example) it just wasnt all that fast compared to what I expected.

Next up was a 911 turbo (996) and I battered that, the old fella with me seemed happy, he said when I asked if he was ok, as I kept going faster "I let them that can drive, drive" and he dint seeme to worry about the gear change, but in typical 4wd Porsche with stability control it was fairly impossible to crash as the electronics reign it in if it starts getting lairy.

I would say ring them and try and get a quiet day, you get a lot of clueless pillocks who get in the way, don;t get me wrong, I am no drivng god but ffs some people should not be allowed behind the
wheel of any car, never mind a Ferrari.

All in all, it was enjoyable and worth doing, if only to realise, even a Supercar, is just a car and it reinforced my desire to own a 911 Turbo and lack of interest in Ferraris, they are wonderful but you do tend to look a conspicous tit in one.
Old 23 June 2009, 09:54 PM
Rubberscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I went on the Three Sisters one and quite enjoyed it, didnt feel as if I was limited, they tell you not to change from third but I did, the 360 was a paddle shift and I couldnt help myself, the guy supervising me in the Ferrari wasnt happy about me changing gear but to be honest you get the idea in third, I got it slightly sideways and he wasnt phased. I personally kind of like the Ferrari, dramatic noise and it just revs and revs but the interior felt like a big Fiat Coupe, it felt a bit nervous and to be honest (an I appreciate its a well used example) it just wasnt all that fast compared to what I expected.

Next up was a 911 turbo (996) and I battered that, the old fella with me seemed happy, he said when I asked if he was ok, as I kept going faster "I let them that can drive, drive" and he dint seeme to worry about the gear change, but in typical 4wd Porsche with stability control it was fairly impossible to crash as the electronics reign it in if it starts getting lairy.

I would say ring them and try and get a quiet day, you get a lot of clueless pillocks who get in the way, don;t get me wrong, I am no drivng god but ffs some people should not be allowed behind the
wheel of any car, never mind a Ferrari.

All in all, it was enjoyable and worth doing, if only to realise, even a Supercar, is just a car and it reinforced my desire to own a 911 Turbo and lack of interest in Ferraris, they are wonderful but you do tend to look a conspicous tit in one.

Cool

I have a day coming up soon. Going round in a WRX, Porsche 996, Lotus Elise and Ferrari 360. I cant wait !

I'm no stig but I feel confident in my driving and I know my limits so im hoping I will be able to give it a bit.
Old 25 June 2009, 12:06 AM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I done an Aston one via DriversDreamDays.co.uk was actually surprised how hard they let you push the cars.

They have a no spin policy so if you drive like a tit and spin it then they will send you packing.

I done mine at Bruntingthorpe (Air Field), as already mentioned providing the instructor is confident in your driving then he sends you down the 'fast lane' (long stretch of runway) voiding the chicane half way down the straight. He told me to actually give it some welly and keep going over 6k rpm! I was doing this in 3rd, 4th and shifting to 5th (i remember seeing 130mph+ on the clock but didn't dare to take my eyes of the road after that ) before we ran out of runway so at this venue they did let me push it somewhat.

I have also done driving days at Brands but they do limit you, although this was in a single seater, so you’re probably better off going to somewhere like bruntingthorpe (depending on your location of course) where the chances of you being restricted is less.

Last edited by stiscooby; 25 June 2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 25 June 2009, 08:36 PM
sparkykev
Scooby Regular

Location: Ex WRX now a Harley Iron. Warwickshire. Oh what fun...

I drove a Murcielago at Prodrives track, and hit 145mph, could have gone more but braked too early, he was telling me to keep going, but in the back of my mind was the £2500 excess i'd have to pay. The 3 or 4 laps i had wasn't enough to get the feel of things.
The instructor was pretty good only reminding me to upshift as we got close to the red line.
I'd recommend it, you only live once, there's no pockets in a shroud.
Old 25 June 2009, 08:46 PM
ratty69
Scooby Newbie

I did the 355 experience at thruxton and was disappointed. Even though i was graded at 85% i was allowed to push it at all. the whole track was done in 4 and 5 gear. you may hit high speeds but it doesnt feel fast. if you are planning to go to thruxton dont bother.