Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do you rate your Bank?

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2009, 08:43 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you rate your Bank?

Im currently with RBS and have been for 9 years, i have a lot of accounts with them, 3 savings and 2 current. I also have a lot of money going through them each month. I am now however getting a bit pi55ed off with them

Twice in the last 2 months i have checked my own personal acount balance either by phone bank or by the machine and it says i have funds in there, i have then bought something only to find out later that they never showed a transaction on the balance and then i have gone overdrawn. I have called them and explained that its not my problem as they arent showing the correct balances ( i thought if you made a payment then it came off immediatly?). They then charge me £28 for going overdrawn which i say to them is just them printing there own money.

What im after is how good are your banks and would you recommend them to anyone? i am seriously looking at changing bank now and i want one that wont **** me about like this, after alll i think the banks owe us taxpayers big time

ste
Old 09 July 2009, 08:48 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am with RBS (Ulsterbank) and have the same problem as you frequently. Generally when paying for petrol from local garages it can take up to 7 days for it to register on my online banking details. Now I know this isn't a problem with the petrol stations as if my girlfriend uses her Northern Bank card it shows up by the end of day.
Old 09 July 2009, 08:51 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

I'm an RBS private banking customer and can't fault the levels of service
Old 09 July 2009, 08:54 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
i am with RBS (Ulsterbank) and have the same problem as you frequently. Generally when paying for petrol from local garages it can take up to 7 days for it to register on my online banking details. Now I know this isn't a problem with the petrol stations as if my girlfriend uses her Northern Bank card it shows up by the end of day.

i take it you also complain as well then. whats their reply to you about it?
Old 09 July 2009, 08:56 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
I'm an RBS private banking customer and can't fault the levels of service

the thing is the girls in the local bank are great, its when it comes to this issue with the charges for something i dont believe is my fault, they dont seem to or cant seem to help me, its really pi55ing me off
Old 09 July 2009, 09:04 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

I've just switched to First Direct.

So far so good.

£100 welcome gift.

Free £250 overdraft.

Text banking - you get free texts for debits / credits coming in/out etc.

Weekly texts balance updates.

You need to pay in 1,500 a month for it to be free (otherwise I think it cost £10 a month)

Old 09 July 2009, 09:11 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

£2 over drawn and charged £28 so applied on-line for a £50 o/d facility and was rejected.

T*ssers !

dunx

P.S. TSB.

Trending Topics

Old 09 July 2009, 09:13 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moneys
i take it you also complain as well then. whats their reply to you about it?
The last time it happened and i got charged £30 for going less than £1 over my overdraft limit, I blew up at them and I was told I needed to take better care of my financial situation. They refunded the money though.

If my head was screwed on at the time i would have said who are you to tell me how to look after my money after the **** up's you've made. but unfortunately offline i am not a witty person
Old 09 July 2009, 09:45 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I've been with Natwest for ..... God ... 25 years and can't fault them. I have been with other banks as well 'on the side' but have always had them as my main current account.

Steve
Old 09 July 2009, 09:51 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

First Direct

Been great service for me for years.
Old 09 July 2009, 09:59 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

First Direct.

Been with them for 14 years.

No problems, free banking and free £250 overdraft. Good internet service and no errors...yet!

Steve
Old 09 July 2009, 10:22 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

I too am with RBS well actually today I closed my account, I have over the last few weeks put in large sums of money, today I wanted to transfer money from my rbs account to my mums rbs account they asked why I was giving my mum money!! Like it's any of their business! they had a problem transefering it and said i would either have to have a bankers draft or a chaps payment, so i asked how much could i take in cash they asked how much i wanted i told them all of the money that is in the account (well over 50k) and for the to close the account. They soon found a way to transfer the money instead of me carrying it out in cash.

I wouldn't trust RBS with a dead hamster! This isn't the first time they have pi55ed me off, I paid a 10k cheque in once they sent me a statement saying my account had gone overdrawn! When it clearly hadn't!

I am also a customer of Barclays and never had a problem I am now transfering all my money ect ect to my Barclays account. RBS can kiss my ***!

Last edited by Stephb1986; 09 July 2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09 July 2009, 10:27 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

LOL at First Direct been good ! Dont make me laugh they will NEVER admit they have made any mistake even when backed up by letters that prove they are wrong.
Got fed up with them so switched to Natwest 3 years ago - great move cant fault them, also have a Smile account which I rate as well.

Richard
Old 10 July 2009, 10:01 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Used to be with HSBC they were useless staff either couldn't understand me or were extremely rude or sometimes both. They were never interested when I had a problem so I left.
Now with Lloyds and not had a prooblem in the last 2 years, apart from the annoying fact of everytime I go into the bank they want me to have a loan/credit card/financial review etc
Old 10 July 2009, 10:12 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The wife has had a couple of issues with First Direct- its usually to do the the hole in the wall saying she can withraw x amount, so she does so, only for the account to go about a quid overdrawn and charges of £25.

We've taken this up with them a couple of times now- its not due to other stuff going through as that account's only used to withdraw cash- its the cashpoints reporting the availability incorrectly. As they can only get their info from the bank, they are, in my opinion, responsible.

We have had the charges refunded every time, but I'm sure many people just take it on the chin or don't notice. You always have to put up with the condescending sh*t from the operator at the bank too, telling you to take more care with your money...
Old 10 July 2009, 10:22 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

HSBC Premier and business - pretty good overall.

Good internet banking, not so good telephone banking, get to speak to a proper account manager (Premier Associate - oh dear), but interest rates on savings are a bit of a joke.

Northern Rock - got savings in there - very little contact but seems okay.

Lloyds - tiny bit left in their because I can't be bothered to change Direct Debits. Used to be good, charged £35 for "low useage" on my credit card so transferred everything to HSBC and cancelled the card. Criminal activity.
Old 10 July 2009, 10:38 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

HALIFAX
Been with the Halifax since I was 16. Never had a problem with them. Wage gets paid into this account. Have found Custmer services very good whenever I've had to phone up. Website is very good too.

NATIONWIDE
Have 2 savings accounts there. Again, never had a problem. Took my Mortgage out with them when I bought my property.

NORTHERN ROCK
Have a Savings account there. Very little contact with them, but seem very good. Never panicked by taking my savings out when the "Credit Crunch" happened. Most of my saving are in the "Right" bank.

BARCLAYS
Have 2 accounts there. Not totally impressed TBH. Can do very little over the phone. Just keep saying "Go to your branch"
Old 10 July 2009, 10:38 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephb1986
I wanted to transfer money from my rbs account to my mums rbs account they asked why I was giving my mum money!! Like it's any of their business!
That will be the FSA anti-money laundering regulations.
Old 10 July 2009, 11:01 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Been with Natwest for about 16 years and never had any major issue. No idea what my O/D agreement is but last month I went -£400 as went a bit silly on hols and it cost me 82p in interest lol.

Just swapped my ISA over to them as well since Egg offer about 1.5% interest these days. All comes up online on same page - current, house account, credit card, isa. Handy.

When I have been charged due to my own stupidity all its taken is a call and theyve always refunded the charge.

Simon
Old 10 July 2009, 11:50 AM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
That will be the FSA anti-money laundering regulations.
I can understand them thinking I might possibly be money laundering but she didn't have to shout it out for the rest of the customers to hear, If I want access to my money I should be able to do that without having a million questions. They knew full well that the money what was in my account had come from a accident claim I had so why would I be money laundering? It is mainly the manager of the certain branch I have to go to as it is my local one, the staff that are in there are ok most of the time.

This isn't the first time I have had problems with RBS when I went in a few months ago to check my balance and cancel a few direct debits they shouted out the amount I had in my account. They are just totally unprofessional and I wouldn't trust them with a dead hamster never mind over 50 grand!

I have been with Barclays for a number of years and never had a problem, I walked in off the street yesterday the man behind the desk ordered me a cheque book straight away and sorted me an appointment today to sort out my direct debits ect. I can't recommend them enough.

Steph xx
Old 10 July 2009, 12:13 PM
yoza
BANNED

Originally Posted by Stephb1986
I too am with RBS well actually today I closed my account, I have over the last few weeks put in large sums of money, today I wanted to transfer money from my rbs account to my mums rbs account they asked why I was giving my mum money!! Like it's any of their business! they had a problem transefering it and said i would either have to have a bankers draft or a chaps payment, so i asked how much could i take in cash they asked how much i wanted i told them all of the money that is in the account (well over 50k) and for the to close the account. They soon found a way to transfer the money instead of me carrying it out in cash.

I wouldn't trust RBS with a dead hamster! This isn't the first time they have pi55ed me off, I paid a 10k cheque in once they sent me a statement saying my account had gone overdrawn! When it clearly hadn't!

I am also a customer of Barclays and never had a problem I am now transfering all my money ect ect to my Barclays account. RBS can kiss my ***!
This is the young lady who want to win a tin of car wax, with 50G in the bank..

I bank with the Abbey, they are good to me, letting me off with charges on 3-4 occasions, basically they have given me everything I have asked for.

Difficult to speak to reps on occasions, as they dont speak much English, buy they ask me nicely how is my day, and weather nice today outside.

One thing I dont like is that they ask me to order my money if I am needing a largish sum of cash, say £2000 and above, and like Steph the more you order the more questions asked.

In my local branch "Cashier number 1 please".............. Is fit as ****, with the look of a girl from FHM, she wears flimsey blouses and always flashes her boobies, I love going the bank. She has a slight speech impediment (lispy) that is sexy as ****.....that sounds wrong I know, but it is sexy believe me.
Old 10 July 2009, 10:00 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I have a virginone account - which is RBS. they're a pain in the **** when i want to move money - their daily limit has reduced randomly over the last 6 months - has stopped me buying shares several times as they are so crap