Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How do you get white lines for a pitch?

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2009, 09:40 AM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you get white lines for a pitch?

I'm organising a football tournament at my lads school. This is the first year I've organised it and I've completely forgotten to the get pitch marked out. Currently the field is marked as a track for sports day (that was a couple of weeks ago). Previous years the council have come along and done it, but they needed to be warned before hand and we're out of time now.

The school don't mind me doing it, but I'm unsure on what to use.

I could go down Halfrauds and get a couple of large cans of white primer and mark it out that way. But it's not the real stuff they use. It only needs to last one day (several games). Any ideas on what real pitch white lines are? A simple water based white paint? Something else?
Old 10 July 2009, 09:56 AM
wongascoob
Scooby Regular

well im no expert but i do believe its some sort of lime based product, however do not use builders hydrated lime because that can cause irratation to the skin, am sure somebody will be along to better advise you.

you could always go to a local builders merchants and maybe use a line marker spray that you see marked on roads etc before roadworks commence, this will washs away within a few weeks or after a few heavy downpours and does not damage the grass.

just to add:
you can also hire a small push along jobbie (trolley/holder type thing) for the marker spray cans from a decent tool hire shop (speedy hire is one i can recommend that will normally have these available). will save having backache.

Last edited by wongascoob; 10 July 2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10 July 2009, 10:11 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

If you use a lime based product you can get into big trouble under COSHH regulations. They're usually calcium carbonate based products used in line marking.

Do the school not have a marking machine?

If you get stuck, just use a cheap white emulsion

Last edited by DJ Dunk; 10 July 2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10 July 2009, 11:02 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I think they use Tippex, you need a few hundred bottles to do a regular sized pitch.
Old 10 July 2009, 11:28 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

call the council or speak to the caretaker after all if you ruin the grass you could be in trouble and they will know the answers.
Old 10 July 2009, 11:42 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need to carry out a risk assessment compliant with COSHH if you are planning to use chemicals on the pitch. Once you have this, ensure that you use eye, breathing and hand protection when applying the substance to the pitch.

Failure to comply will leave you open to litigation from parents should their children be injurred by the chemical.

You then need to check that you have adequate public liability insurance, should anyone taking part or watching the event be injurred as a result of your action (or inaction).

Next you and any other adults oficiating will need a CRB check as you will be working with children. Failure to do this will leave you open to litigation.

You'll probably be ok if you wing it though