Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Here is a good one for you, money grabbing law or what?

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2009, 12:26 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Here is a good one for you, money grabbing law or what?

Quiet Saturday morning, dropping my Son off at a mates.
Street is loads of entries to small estates. Can't remember which right turn to take. Pottering along, slowing at each entrance, no that is not the one.
Gets to what we think is the right one, and goes in.
I digress,
Today, I get a notice from the local law, apparantely I was doing 36 in a 30 area. How does that work. I had no idea where I was going, so pootling along as far as I was concerned.
I did notice the van, hidden in the trees and thought nothing of it as I was otherwise engaged in trying to find the right route to Son's friends house.
I have confirmed the notice and enclosed a letter requesting accurate evidence of said offence.
Am I wasting my time, judging by the desperate measures the Law take to get revenue
Old 16 July 2009, 12:32 AM
Will
BANNED

I was once accused by one of them vans!! Doing 65 in a 50 zone!!!

My lorry couldnt go over 55 because of the speed limiter

Told them that and told them to come and give it a go for them selfs, no they

just gave me a ''we appologise blah blah'' in a letter and heard nout after.
Old 16 July 2009, 12:42 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you get sorted hun. If you are sure you did nothing wrong, then fight it I say.

My Dad once got caught by a hidden copper, he was bang to rights though as he was speeding (thought the road was a different limit to what it was, though he would have still been speeding anyway, bad lad), but what always annoyed me was the sneekyness (sp). Yes, he was in the wrong, and didn't even try to argue, but it can seem it's about catching people out/punishment, rather than prevention. Sorry, well went on a tangent there.
Old 16 July 2009, 01:14 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Get over to PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice
Old 16 July 2009, 08:35 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

my sti was a damn nuisance at this speed id have to say , not quite on song unless you blipped the throttle and lumpy below that
Old 16 July 2009, 08:43 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Thanks for that Boro.

Hey, if I did wrong I am quite prepared to take it on the chin. I do have my doubts though. I had no idea which turn to take and there are loads of them, I really do find it hard to believe I was doing that speed. Just makes me wonder if they send them out to all who pass the van in the hope no one will argue with it

Lisa
Old 16 July 2009, 12:20 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I sympathise but for all the Pootling and Pottering it seems you accidently pootled/pottered six mph quicker than the posted speed limit.

Hopefully they should either provide some evidence or **** off, otherwise its just a figure picked out of the air.
Old 16 July 2009, 01:43 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Let them prove it in court. More people should do that rather than just admit guilt (easy win for "them" if we just roll over).

TX.
Old 16 July 2009, 02:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I hope it turns out to be a mistake (con) on their part Lee and that they cannot prove it. I would insist on getting the copy of the evidence from them despite any excuses they might come up with.

Les
Old 16 July 2009, 02:20 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

That is weird! I got a letter 2 days ago saying I was doing 38 in a 30 I don't even remember going down that road on that day!

I don't know what to do about it!

Steph xx
Old 16 July 2009, 08:58 PM
Albert47
Scooby Regular

Fight it!!! challenge it every time!!! Even if you are guilty.

I was caught doing 42mph in 30 zone in a mini bus!!!! The minibus couldn't even get to 42mph!! I was caught speeding tho!!! naughty me!

On the letter you recieve, it gives you an address of who to write to, ask for as much documents as possible. I asked for

Video evidence
Photo evidence
Calibration certificate of equipment
Certificate of compentance of the user
Veh Doc's make sure their vehicle is legal
Location of vehicle to make sure it's not an illegal location

It appeared that their equipment was out of the calibration date.
Result: Not Guilty

Even if you are found guilty then at least your fine will be spend on paper and man hours replying to your letter.

Money should be spend on fighting drug dealers and proper crime and innocent motorists!!
Grow a set and fight it!!!!!!! lol

Albert
Old 16 July 2009, 11:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

What kind of Minibus wont do 42 ?

I am all for fighting injustice but sometimes you have to hold your hands up and admit yo have done something wrong, I can understand a little over the limit in a 30 as really you shouldnt be fixated on the speedo but really as the speed gets faster the sympathy and solidarity does tend to wane, as a cyclist I get overtaken by people doing double the posted limit sometimes, in a modern car its easy and comfortable but it is still potentially dangerous.

That said, I really hope they dont go mad with the 20 mph limits, sometimes sticking to the thirty limits in Anlgessey when we go is very difficult as they used to be forties and even fifties, you feel like you are crawling, 20 would be practically stationary and is actually quite difficlut to do, modern cars dont take well to such low speeds.
Old 17 July 2009, 12:41 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

J4CKO. I was looking for an address for my Son. I was looking at all the signs on every entrance to each cul de sac. I could hardly do that if I was doing 36mph. There was hardly a couple of hundred yards between each entrance.
I am going to fight it as I think it is not accurate.
If I felt I did wrong, I would just pay up. In this case, I question the claim as I think it is a load of old bollox and a way of getting some other mug to just pay up.
Old 17 July 2009, 12:49 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by J4CKO
What kind of Minibus wont do 42 ?

I am all for fighting injustice but sometimes you have to hold your hands up and admit yo have done something wrong, I can understand a little over the limit in a 30 as really you shouldnt be fixated on the speedo but really as the speed gets faster the sympathy and solidarity does tend to wane, as a cyclist I get overtaken by people doing double the posted limit sometimes, in a modern car its easy and comfortable but it is still potentially dangerous.

That said, I really hope they dont go mad with the 20 mph limits, sometimes sticking to the thirty limits in Anlgessey when we go is very difficult as they used to be forties and even fifties, you feel like you are crawling, 20 would be practically stationary and is actually quite difficlut to do, modern cars dont take well to such low speeds.
Agreed.

I am all for people fighting injustice, but as Albert says.... fight even if guilty.

I'm sorry, but this is what is wrong with society, people just think it's ok to do wtf they like, and not face any consequences. I hate, as much as anyone when motorists are used as easy money, but people should just take on the chin when they actually do wrong. I'm not a fan of messing with speed limits either, or limits seeming to low for a certain road, but if you decide to break it, regardless of your opinion, you are in the wrong, like it or not, accept it if you are caught out.

To give perspective, the road I live on has just had speed bumps put in, for seemingly no reason, and it looks like we may be getting a 20 mph limit put in to add. In my 25 years of living there, there has been one accident so far as I'm aware. We weren't happy and contested it, but it's gone through. Nothing we can do but get on with it. I'm not one for sitting back necessarily, but sometimes, even if you don't like something, it'll happen and you have to accept it. Just because we don't agree with something (however stupid), we would have to abide by it, or we're breaking the law.

Might not be fair, might not be the right approach, but it's the way it is unfortunately.

Sorry Miss 84, again
Old 17 July 2009, 12:52 AM
Lisawrx

I was agreeing with J4CKO, as I think his response was more geared towards the comment from Albert, and general, rather than your situ, btw
Old 17 July 2009, 12:55 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Check when it arrived in relation to the date of the alleged offence too. IIRC they only have 14 days to notify you.
Old 17 July 2009, 08:48 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Lisa, get away. No need to apologise

I agree with J4CKO, but I do feel there is something not quite right about this.

Boro, they are within the 14 days.
Old 17 July 2009, 09:33 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Hi, not saying u were speeding but u may have been pootling at the junction but are u sure u didnt touch the throttle to get to the next turning maybe, we all do it if we are subconsciously thinking about something else,
as said fight it.
Old 17 July 2009, 02:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Don't let them get away with it Lee.

Les
Old 17 July 2009, 05:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I hope I dont come across all holier than thou, as I am prone to sometimes doing daft speeds but its me that is pushing the accelerator.
Old 17 July 2009, 10:07 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Look,if you were speeding even with a little loss of doubt, just pay the fine and take the points on your licence. If you are 100% sure that you weren't, then moider them to f**k to prove that you were not guilty as charged.

I once heard some scoobynetters on a similar matter, and wasted a hell of a lot of time p!ssing about with them. I ended up with about 6 pictures of my car for my photo album from 6 different angles. From every damn angle, I was apparently speeding I was told on scoobynet by some loophead about some loophole in the system/law/whatever to get out of it, even if you were proper bombing it But you know what, nothing works. I should have surrendered at once, full stop.

I hope they don't send you a picture with the digi-timing at the bottom, to prove that it were you. If they do, just pay them off and take the points. No need prolonging the headache unless you have extra time to play cat and mouse chase with them lot.

Personally speaking, they need not hide in bushes, bleddy cowards
Old 17 July 2009, 11:15 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

J4CKO, you are not coming over holier than thou. if you were, I would kick your ***

Swati, if I was sure I had done wrong I would just pay up. I too am prone to the odd burst of showing off, as we all are. But not when I am looking for someones house, when I have no idea where I am going. I tend to act my age then

If they come back with evidence I will pay up. I want to see the evidence first.

Have been taking to a few people today and apparently there is a lot of anger about this speed trap, even from the residents of the houses I was passing to try to find my Sons friend. They did a pensioner last week for doing 33 She is known to annoy folks for plodding along, usually. All very weird.

It needs questioning as I still think it is a cash cow and seems to be doing a very good job
Old 17 July 2009, 11:24 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Turbohot, you!!, speeding!!! Boy did they catch the wrong person

From that weekend, if someone was to get a ticket, I know who it should have been

I just cannot imagine you "going for it".

P.S. And Leslie.....fight them. Hop over to Pepipoo to get proper advice and do all that you can. The more you cost them, the less profit they make, and the less likely they are to set up more speedtraps. It is all about money, not about "safety" or anything else that they claim.

Last edited by Luminous; 17 July 2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 17 July 2009, 11:34 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Turbohot, you!!, speeding!!! Boy did they catch the wrong person

From that weekend, if someone was to get a ticket, I know who it should have been

I just cannot imagine you "going for it".
You are right, sir

Yet

In my defence, I may not drive my car as well as you did that weekend, but I sorta went supersonic doing 34 in 30 once, then 54 in 30 another time That was long time ago before I saw your skills LOL I have only been done once more since then on my Mondeo last year. I surrendered at once this time LOL

Last edited by Turbohot; 17 July 2009 at 11:36 PM.