Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

what do you think..!!!

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2009, 09:53 PM
blue scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you think..!!!

im thinking of selling raffle tickets at £20 each and the winner will win my subaru p1.
i will sell a 1000 tickets and go through a solicitors so that it is all correct and not a con...

what do you think..?
could it work..?
can it be done..?
Old 31 July 2009, 10:04 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

the problem will be selling 1000 tickets TBH.

But can be done and has been for other items before.
Old 31 July 2009, 10:05 PM
Neoscooby
Scooby Regular

You may fall foul of the gambling laws with that one. I know some people who tried to do it with a house.
Good idea though if you can get it to work
Old 31 July 2009, 10:14 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

nice idea 20k back for a p1 should of tried with my wrx but sell them at £5 in the town centre with 2000 tickets

might try it on ebay
Old 31 July 2009, 10:16 PM
blue scooby
Scooby Regular

im just looking in to it for the min just wanted some feed back and any ideas on how to make it work with out causing trouble.....
Old 31 July 2009, 10:17 PM
blue scooby
Scooby Regular

i thought of ebay do a buy now at £20 and a 1000 to sell
Old 31 July 2009, 10:31 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

is it allowed what if you only sold 200 tickets thats only 4000

ill give you £4000 for your p1

Trending Topics

Old 31 July 2009, 10:41 PM
blue scooby
Scooby Regular

i thought about this...you could say if all tickets are not sold with in a certain time then you still have the draw and the winner wins what ever cash was made from the other sales..so you would still win something...
Old 31 July 2009, 10:47 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

very good . your p1 is a very good spec shouldnt have thought it would of been hard shifting that
Old 31 July 2009, 10:51 PM
blue scooby
Scooby Regular

i might give it ago and see what happens....as you say for what you can win its got to be worth £20 of any ones money, ive spoken to a few people today and they have all said put me in for 5 tickets if you do it....

i thought it was of sold by now but just had silly offers and dreamers..
Old 01 August 2009, 09:20 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Daft idea, what would you do if it took 5 years to sell all the tickets ? And offering the winner the money from the other ticket sales back after a set amount of time sounds OK, but what if you only sell a handful of tickets ?

This is where all these people trying to raffle houses have come unstuck - there's no way they would sell enough tickets to get the money they want for the house, so end up telling people they have entered a competition with no prize.

How many people are going to give you £100 on the offchance they win £2000 or something if you only sell 100 tickets ( which I think is probably an optomistic amount to shift ! ). Even £20 is a high outlay for a lot of people, and the amount you could win isn't enough to make it worth it.

Even if the odds of winning are a lot better than the lottery, most people would rather spend £1 with the chance of winning £3M than £20 with the chance of winning £2000.
Old 01 August 2009, 09:32 AM
serega
Scooby Regular

I personally wouldnt buy any tickets from you if you are the distributor as you would obviously make it in your favour as your profit relies on the number of tickets sold.

But if you dont make it in your favour then you can have someone win your car after buying the first 5 tickets and hence losing your car for 100 quid.

You can give it a try, but balancing the risk-reward is very harsh on this one.
Old 01 August 2009, 10:00 AM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
Daft idea, what would you do if it took 5 years to sell all the tickets ? And offering the winner the money from the other ticket sales back after a set amount of time sounds OK, but what if you only sell a handful of tickets ?

This is where all these people trying to raffle houses have come unstuck - there's no way they would sell enough tickets to get the money they want for the house, so end up telling people they have entered a competition with no prize.

How many people are going to give you £100 on the offchance they win £2000 or something if you only sell 100 tickets ( which I think is probably an optomistic amount to shift ! ). Even £20 is a high outlay for a lot of people, and the amount you could win isn't enough to make it worth it.

Even if the odds of winning are a lot better than the lottery, most people would rather spend £1 with the chance of winning £3M than £20 with the chance of winning £2000.
I was going to post virtually what Mike posted, so I'll simply say - I agree 100% with Mike... daft idea.

You will NOT sell 1000 tickets, period, and you will not get away with giving the money that you HAVE taken as a prize in the event that you don't sell 1000 tickets. You'll have a much larger and more varied problem selling the tickets than you have ever had selling the car...

Do it if you want, but if you really want to sell it and get a realistic price (ie what the market believes it to be worth) then simply auction it on eBay...

Shades
Old 01 August 2009, 10:37 PM
blue scooby
Scooby Regular

cheers for your thoughts people...got the feed back that i needed and thought it was too good to be a good idea or every one would of done it by now....
Old 01 August 2009, 11:28 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Hang on let's not shoot this idea down just yet.

What about putting a poll on this and a few other forums (e.g Pistonheads) asking how many people would buy a ticket at £20 to win your P1?

You just never know. I would have a dabble for £20.

However I think you have to agree to have the draw legally overseen if I rmember rightly as otherwise you could just give the car to a mate and say he was the winner.
Old 02 August 2009, 09:32 AM
blue scooby
Scooby Regular

very true f1 for £20 its a small price to pay to what you could win...and for sure it would have to be done the right way....im going to start another thread and so if your up for a dab then a simple yes will do and its only to see how much intrest it will get..!!!

Last edited by blue scooby; 02 August 2009 at 06:03 PM.