And then screw you for the difference anyway

Motorists facing £250 parking tax under new Government scheme | Mail Online

the sooner they go the better

Mart
Old 03 August 2009, 09:46 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who does half the average annual mileage, I'd be happy to see it added at the fuel pumps.

But I do agree with a "white van" tax, anybody who takes a (non-car) business vehicle home and dumps it in the street should pay £1500 a year for the privilege.

dunx
Old 03 August 2009, 09:47 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry - 10 months from today, Brown and his band of crooks, apologists and n'er do wells will be consigned to the history books.
Old 03 August 2009, 09:53 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

People will just park in the nearby streeet blocking access etc in a point of protest.

It is shocking you do your best to get a job then get tax after tax on your money soon it wont be worth going to work.
Old 03 August 2009, 10:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Don't worry - 10 months from today, Brown and his band of crooks, apologists and n'er do wells will be consigned to the history books.
They are so incompetent and their heads are so deeply imbedded, that they just don't even deserve a mention in history. Best just write off the last twelve years as a monumental mistake!

Les
Old 03 August 2009, 01:09 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

They should pilot the scheme in the Borough of Westminster first.
Old 03 August 2009, 01:48 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
the sooner they go the better
Indeed but I do wish the Tories would make some comments on these sort of things as it just worries me they will let it carry on. Same **** different party!
Old 03 August 2009, 01:55 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Theyve f*cked SO much up: I doubt that a Conservative government could correct it all (even without the current financial problems) before people turned against them. Even, that is: if the had the will to do so.....
Old 03 August 2009, 03:07 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

It was thought up by the F**kw*ts in the city council (who just happened to be Labour-controlled) here in Nottingham, not the national government. Although they did need Government permission to proceed with it.
I't s a tax on a parking space, not on a car using it so thhe companies with large car parks will get screwed whether or not the space is actually being used. Excellent move for a company during a recession. So, tax comes in. car park is 97% full. Company pays £x pounds. Couple of months later, car park is 50% full, company still pays £x pounds. What then? Dig up car park at cost of £££? Move out of city at cost of £££? Cough up the money anyway? Charge employees on a sliding scale depending on how full the car park is? The side streets round here are going to be full in no time.
Old 03 August 2009, 03:20 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Wheres the petition?
Old 03 August 2009, 03:38 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Already done and ignored. There was even one sent to No. 10 who effectively washed their hands of the whole thing saying that it was up to the local council involved. This isn't something new - it's been in progress for the last couple of years or so.
Old 03 August 2009, 10:50 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I believe that Boots have said that if they implement this "parking tax", they will move out of Nottingham!

Not very bright these councilors eh??

mb
Old 03 August 2009, 11:09 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

What it needs is people to unite and stand against things like this,this as been our problem.We will complain and moan to each other but won't take any real action,maybe because some fear of being arrested and sent to jail etc etc.The goverment have got us wrapped around their finger and are basically just taking the p1ss out of every decent working person,but what do we do,we sit back and take it hoping that the next goverment will wave a magic wand in our favour.
Old 03 August 2009, 11:11 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

bring it on ,i cycle to work and only takes a third of the time aswell and i enjoy the exercise
Old 03 August 2009, 11:49 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by dunx
As someone who does half the average annual mileage, I'd be happy to see it added at the fuel pumps.

But I do agree with a "white van" tax, anybody who takes a (non-car) business vehicle home and dumps it in the street should pay £1500 a year for the privilege.

dunx
Why?

We pay for our car, tax wise, no matter how much or little it gets used, petrol aside.

As for the van, it is heavily paid for, to be on the road, why when doing a low paid job, should we be charged a fair wack, just to be able to park a work vehicle outside our house?

By that logic, anyone driving about in a company car (usually not paid for personally) should also pay that fee.

I'm sorry, but having to pay out even more money, jus to earn a living is out of order. Sometimes alternate forms of transport are available, but sometimes they are not, not to mention how reliable they are.

Maybe instead of trying to hammer workers another way, how about provide cheaper/ free public transport to those commuting? Offer some incentive to change how people travel, rather than just yet again tax people who are just trying to make a living.
Old 04 August 2009, 12:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I see no possible fair reason to tax any vehicle anymore than they are already. All motorists are being ripped off as it is and we all need transport since the great improvement that we were promised in public transport just has not happened, like so many other great initiatives.

Les
Old 04 August 2009, 04:35 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

They have been talking about introducing this scheme in Nottingham for years. It was one of the main reasons that my firm relocated out of there years ago. I think most businesses that have problem with this have already gone.

If you ask me this has been very cleverly introduced. They have talked about it for so long, that just about anyone who has a problem with it have moved on. Leaving only those who are not that bothered to protest about it still in Nottingham. Somehow they will push this through and make it look like a success. I only hope I am wrong otherwise it will be coming all around the country.
Old 04 August 2009, 06:08 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

There's still a large number of companies in the city that will be affected by this. It's not so much of a problem for the city centre, that's served quite well by bus routes. The problem comes if, like me, one lives on the outskirts and also work on the outskirts. There's no direct way to get between home and work without using a car or bike. If I were to use public transport it would add an hour or more to my travelling each day.
Old 04 August 2009, 09:57 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Luminous
If you ask me this has been very cleverly introduced. They have talked about it for so long, that just about anyone who has a problem with it have moved on. Leaving only those who are not that bothered to protest about it still in Nottingham. Somehow they will push this through and make it look like a success.
Sadly your last sentence is the most accurate description

Nottingham city council did a consultation on the workplace parking levy, and EIGHTY THREE PERCENT of people OBJECTED to it. The remaining seventeen percent consisted of people who were either neutral or supportive - but the council refused to say exactly how many actually supported the measure.

See Parking tax poll - council admits 83% are against plan!

You just couldn't make it up

mb