Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

These new MP3 Players ...

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2009, 01:19 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question These new MP3 Players ...

.... I bought a Philips MP3 Player quite a few years ago - has done me fine, but it's full and the software isn't supported anymore.

It's 2Gb, which seems tiny by todays offerings.

Anyway, was drawn to the new Sony Walkman Player with touchscreen.

It holds pictures, videos, will support BBCi Player and has Wi-Fi. Looks good and I would rather buy it than the iPod - as I never follow the crowd AND iTunes seems to be a horrific way to manage your music and stuff (the Sony is a simple Drag'n'Drop - much better than their old SonicStage mess).

Now, my question ..... is the Wi-Fi connection free? Will it connect to whatever is in the area? Are there free spots these days? Is it any good as a web browser? I can see real benefits if you are shopping and can see the prices of goods enabling you to haggle from a position of strength.

Also, is the GPS part (not sure the Sony has this, actually) just the same as a Car Sat Nav?
Old 04 August 2009, 01:44 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Normally wireless access points aren't free only one I can think of that is free is Mc Donalds.

I'd imagine the gps won't be turn.by turn navigation. More like tell you where you are on the map just to help when you need to find a certain place on the move.
Old 04 August 2009, 01:46 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

So, the Wi-Fi is pretty pointless in such a portable device .... if that is one reason for buying it?
Old 04 August 2009, 02:13 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Yeah unless you eat at mc donalds a lot
Old 04 August 2009, 02:22 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

or ride the trains first class, virgin have it free for those in 1st but for about £5 for those in scutter. same as their lounges etc.
Old 04 August 2009, 02:36 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

.... I bought a Philips MP3 Player quite a few years ago - has done me fine, but it's full and the software isn't supported anymore.

2Gb is tiny by any stretch, that's 13-14 CDs ripped at a decent bit rate (i.e. 320kbps)

It holds pictures, videos, will support BBCi Player and has Wi-Fi.
Missus has the previous generation Sony player, it's very good, nice user interface, small, good sound quality, Bluetooth, nice set of earphones supplied. Pretty much best of the rest

Looks good and I would rather buy it than the iPod - as I never follow the crowd AND iTunes seems to be a horrific way to manage your music and stuff (the Sony is a simple Drag'n'Drop - much better than their old SonicStage mess).
Your loss You don't have to use iTunes They didn't get where they are today on crowd following alone. They are still one of the best sounding players out there. The user interface is simply superb. And mine holds 160Gb, that's well over a 1000 CDs at a high bit rate, all my music collection and some more in my pocket

Now, my question ..... is the Wi-Fi connection free? Will it connect to whatever is in the area? Are there free spots these days? Is it any good as a web browser? I can see real benefits if you are shopping and can see the prices of goods enabling you to haggle from a position of strength.
Doesn't your mobile phone have internet access for such purposes? Mine has Wi-Fi and mobile internet, I do use it sometimes when shopping to compare deals. As mentioned there aren't many free Wi-Fi spots hence the phone give me a lot more flexibility for looking up stuff on the 'net.

The Wi-Fi might be more useful at home as you can connect to your router if you want to look up something quickly on the 'net without having to fire up your PC/Laptop. Also if you have any kind of media streaming setup at home (unlikely ) then you can stream music directly your player.

Also, is the GPS part (not sure the Sony has this, actually) just the same as a Car Sat Nav?
It doesn't have GPS, but a lot of phones do now days. Most phones only ship with stuff like Google maps so no good for turn by turn navigation but you can purchase and install your Sat-Nav package of choice (e.g. TomTom, iGo etc.) for that.
Old 04 August 2009, 02:55 PM
Foofighter
Scooby Regular

Try Creative mate.Much better than any I-Pod.I-tunes are a rip off at over 70p a song.I've got the creative zen x-fi and download songs from mp3panda.com.You get top of the range bud earphones with it as well.My better half has the i-pod touch and my x-fi beats it hands down in every way
Old 04 August 2009, 03:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an Ipod touch, they are fantastic, I use mine to surf at home as the browser is that good, great for films and all the apps and games, they are way more than an MP3 player.
Old 04 August 2009, 04:02 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Have to agree with J4cko here, I've never been an Apple 'fan-boy' but the iPod Touch is a brilliant piece of kit
Old 04 August 2009, 04:08 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cowon s9 is the top dog atm, amoled screen and excellent sq.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/so...-se530-437891/

The s9 was built to be strong in all areas not just a handful, the sony's weak area is sound stage and file support, the cowon also has 16.7m colours.

Last edited by hux309; 04 August 2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04 August 2009, 04:15 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Foofighter
Try Creative mate.Much better than any I-Pod.I-tunes are a rip off at over 70p a song.I've got the creative zen x-fi and download songs from mp3panda.com.You get top of the range bud earphones with it as well.My better half has the i-pod touch and my x-fi beats it hands down in every way

You don't have to use iTunes to buy your music. You can rip your own CDs. You can add MP3s to iTunes that you've obtained from anywhere else (e.g. mp3panda.com, Amazon, etc.).

Aside from that Creative's MP3 player offerings are also good. (iPods are better though )
Old 04 August 2009, 04:21 PM
Foofighter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger

You don't have to use iTunes to buy your music. You can rip your own CDs. You can add MP3s to iTunes that you've obtained from anywhere else (e.g. mp3panda.com, Amazon, etc.).

Aside from that Creative's MP3 player offerings are also good. (iPods are better though )
I didnt say you do have to buy i-tunes,i was just saying they are a rip off.And in my personal opinion Creatives players are by far better than i-pods.But each to their own
Old 04 August 2009, 05:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foofighter
I didnt say you do have to buy i-tunes,i was just saying they are a rip off.And in my personal opinion Creatives players are by far better than i-pods.But each to their own
I was a bit anti Apple, the slavish fanboys, the junior estate agent, Mini driver trendy thing, the w4nky adverts and self conciously right on shops but I used a touch, I wanted to hate it but it is just so damn good.
Old 04 August 2009, 08:49 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

My daughter has an iPod - quality piece of kit, I don't dispute ...... but it's so bloody tweee! The SONY has the far better Sound Quality, so all the reviews say.

And iTunes - it's pants - my daughter had all kinds of trouble with it syncing everytime she connected it to the PC - bloody infuriating!

Looked at the Cowan, for geeks me thinks .... very good though it may be.

SONY has the best sounds and it's as well built as an Apple offering. Now that they have allowed Drag and Drop it's a winner in my book. So, wi-fi is pretty pointless really.

Is it good to show photos off?
Old 04 August 2009, 09:25 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not quite, sony has one of the best sounds but it's not THE best sounding, it's more what sounds right for you than anything else.

I went with the cowon as it has the best file support, best sound stage and the best screen, the sony is the only one to come close so far.

I do like it's wifi ability but seeing as i live down in blighty no one would know what wifi is.

If you want to show off photos it depends, touch for features because of the apps but for quality sony/cowon.
Old 04 August 2009, 10:28 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

If you don't want to an iPod, how about an Archos?

Little more expensive, but offers more.

http://www.archos.com/products/imt/archos_5/index.html?country=gb〈=en

http://www.archos.com/products/imt/archos_7/index.html?country=gb〈=en

I've got an old 501 and a docking station - Makes a great PVR and means I can watch films on any TV with ease anywhere I go (Great for Business Trips)

Old 04 August 2009, 10:38 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I've always liked the Archos, but they are so damned BIG!
Old 05 August 2009, 10:46 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
I've always liked the Archos, but they are so damned BIG!
At least you can see the film you're watching.

Otherwise you might as well get a dedicated music player.

How about this as an alternative to a iPod Touch:

ArchosFans.com - News, Rumors and Reviews Story Archos 3 hands-on

Half the price - Fill yer boots Pete
Old 05 August 2009, 11:57 AM
wasbakerman
Scooby Newbie

Just about to order the 32GB Sony X series for the wife.

Had a look at a number of others (particularly the apples) and she wants to focus on touchy feelyness and music quality, also for £300 am getting a portable holiday speaker/sony base station/32gb X series and a leather cover, bargain!?! I think that is much better value than anything Apple offers.

I have a 5 year old Sony Walkman and is superb so maybe slightly biased.

p.s. oh yeah and you have to pay more for FM radio on the Apples
Old 05 August 2009, 01:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It holds pictures, videos, will support BBCi Player and has Wi-Fi. Looks good and I would rather buy it than the iPod - as I never follow the crowd AND iTunes seems to be a horrific way to manage your music and stuff (the Sony is a simple Drag'n'Drop - much better than their old SonicStage mess).

Somehow Pete I can't get this vision out of my head of you with the earphones clipped to your head in the nuclear laboratory, sashaying about clicking your fingers and nodding your head in time to the music. And at your age too!

Do your colleagues do the same while they are tweaking up a warhead or two?

Les
Old 05 August 2009, 01:48 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

We are not allowed them at work Les ..... they are classed as storage devices

I am allowed a radio though
Old 05 August 2009, 01:49 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wasbakerman
Just about to order the 32GB Sony X series for the wife.

Had a look at a number of others (particularly the apples) and she wants to focus on touchy feelyness and music quality, also for £300 am getting a portable holiday speaker/sony base station/32gb X series and a leather cover, bargain!?! I think that is much better value than anything Apple offers.

I have a 5 year old Sony Walkman and is superb so maybe slightly biased.

p.s. oh yeah and you have to pay more for FM radio on the Apples
Amazon and Play.com are doing the best prices at the moment ... a lot cheaper than the price you mention!

Dip Yer Bread!
Old 05 August 2009, 02:33 PM
wasbakerman
Scooby Newbie

Amazon and Play.com are doing the best prices at the moment ... a lot cheaper than the price you mention!

Dip Yer Bread!
Not including travel speaker, base station and cover they're not!
Old 05 August 2009, 07:16 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I've seen those deals .... you are paying for the 'Free Extras' .... OK if you need them, otherwise, I would rather select my own.