bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Care to elaborate?
Old 07 August 2009, 03:12 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

It is always a problem when you have been involved in an incident of said magnitude.
Wether it went well or not, they tend to "invite" you to leave.......
Old 07 August 2009, 07:50 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Which means at the end of the day you have a temp job, and are waiting for the moment things go **** up............

Have your resumé ready, or consider changing area......
Old 07 August 2009, 10:14 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

TBH this does not in the least bit surprise me . . .

. . When I first entered the world of aviation, I entered for the pure passion of flying...But I guess soon enough you discover there is politics everywhere anytime money is involved....Right now I instruct and am used to the following things..

1) Bitching behind yr back
2) Gossip
3) Jealousy
4) Back stabbing
5) Snitching
6) Undignified bahaviour

....So my conclusion is just suck it up and continue living the dream, but never ever get involved with anyone...In the style of hello , nice to see you....Good bye

. . . . .These days, I know from first hand exparience, being an airman, means very very little to most people....I to the best of my ability, try to set a platinum standard and not deviate from it . . .

Best of luck to those guys!
Old 08 August 2009, 11:59 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

"The aircraft was then brought down safely by the co-pilot, John Coward."

LOL

dunx
Old 08 August 2009, 02:56 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
"The aircraft was then brought down safely by the co-pilot, John Coward."

LOL

dunx
Poor bugger, that name and an accident is really asking for it.............
Old 08 August 2009, 03:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Very disappointing to see this sort of thing. It is surprising how petty jealousy can have such a big effect on a man's career. I have seen that sort of thing happen in my line of work too.

It was reported that the 1st officer was flying the aircraft on the approach since it was his leg as the operating pilot anyway. When the emergency occurred, the Captain allowed the 1st officer to continue down the approach, this was sensible because he was qualified to fly the aircraft anyway. This allowed the Captain to concentrate on the problem and to try to sort the power out. When he realised that it was not recoverable he used the flaps which had been retracted to reduce drag to give just that bit of lift to get them over the perimeter fence as they were extended. This is an old trick which is often used in forced landings on lighter aircraft to get into a field with no engine. It shows he was thinking correctly and although it was not possible to reach the runway they were at least able to touch down (arrive) on the flat area before the runway. It was an inspired action all round and both pilots deserve full recognition for that.

Les
Old 09 August 2009, 02:13 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Very disappointing to see this sort of thing. It is surprising how petty jealousy can have such a big effect on a man's career. I have seen that sort of thing happen in my line of work too.

It was reported that the 1st officer was flying the aircraft on the approach since it was his leg as the operating pilot anyway. When the emergency occurred, the Captain allowed the 1st officer to continue down the approach, this was sensible because he was qualified to fly the aircraft anyway. This allowed the Captain to concentrate on the problem and to try to sort the power out. When he realised that it was not recoverable he used the flaps which had been retracted to reduce drag to give just that bit of lift to get them over the perimeter fence as they were extended. This is an old trick which is often used in forced landings on lighter aircraft to get into a field with no engine. It shows he was thinking correctly and although it was not possible to reach the runway they were at least able to touch down (arrive) on the flat area before the runway. It was an inspired action all round and both pilots deserve full recognition for that.

Les
Unfotunately aviation in general (civil and military) has gone seriously nose down over the last 20 years, and continues to do so.

This is yet more proof.

I gave up on pprune ages ago, it is too depressing and full of tossers, again another reflex of aviation as it is today.
Old 09 August 2009, 02:13 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN
TBH this does not in the least bit surprise me . . .

. . When I first entered the world of aviation, I entered for the pure passion of flying...But I guess soon enough you discover there is politics everywhere anytime money is involved....Right now I instruct and am used to the following things..

2) Gossip
3) Jealousy
4) Back stabbing
5) Snitching
6) Undignified bahaviour

....So my conclusion is just suck it up and continue living the dream, but never ever get involved with anyone...In the style of hello , nice to see you....Good bye

. . . . .These days, I know from first hand exparience, being an airman, means very very little to most people....I to the best of my ability, try to set a platinum standard and not deviate from it . . .

Best of luck to those guys!
How long have you been flying for?
Old 09 August 2009, 10:14 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

It was an inspired action all round and both pilots deserve full recognition for that.
agreed, anyone who knows the westbound approach to the south runway knows what would have happened if he fell short. I cant even comprehend the loss off life if a 777 went nose first into hatton cross. The fact he avoided that AND got all of his passengers out alive means he's welcome to fly me any day of the week.
astraboy.
Old 09 August 2009, 11:43 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed
How long have you been flying for?
over 3 years . .
Old 10 August 2009, 08:26 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

2) Gossip
3) Jealousy
4) Back stabbing
5) Snitching
6) Undignified bahaviour
Sounds just like your average RAF Squadron really.... civilian trained pilots picking up habits from their ex-military counterparts? Or simply the result of having so many Ego's large enough to produce their own gravitational pull in one building?

Old 10 August 2009, 08:53 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat
Yep, any pilot that's landed a BA plane in an emergency will not be there after the next 12 months.
Care to give any more actual examples? I could find at least 10 BA emergency landing at LHR in the last 2 years and I know those pilots are still flying with BA.
Old 10 August 2009, 12:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
Sounds just like your average RAF Squadron really.... civilian trained pilots picking up habits from their ex-military counterparts? Or simply the result of having so many Ego's large enough to produce their own gravitational pull in one building?

I served on quite a few RAF Squadrons and never saw that sort of behaviour between members of any of those squadrons. All aircrew were part of a bunch who worked together to get the job done as well as possible.

The only bitching etc I saw was from people higher up the ladder who could not stand a bit of success demonstrated by squadron members.

I wonder if you would mind clarifying your post?

Les
Old 10 August 2009, 12:52 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I served on quite a few RAF Squadrons and never saw that sort of behaviour between members of any of those squadrons. All aircrew were part of a bunch who worked together to get the job done as well as possible.

The only bitching etc I saw was from people higher up the ladder who could not stand a bit of success demonstrated by squadron members.

I wonder if you would mind clarifying your post?

Les
I'm just being bitchy..

Generally they are okay I guess (they being you front end lot..) - there's only been the odd one who has attempted to have an opinion on things that they shouldn't have, The banter can get pretty close to the bone though..

Last edited by Prasius; 10 August 2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10 August 2009, 01:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I'm just being bitchy..

Generally they are okay I guess (they being you front end lot..) - there's only been the odd one who has attempted to have an opinion on things that they shouldn't have, The banter can get pretty close to the bone though..
No one is perfect!

Les
Old 11 August 2009, 11:53 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

over 3 years . .
Oh my God, so much experience!!!
Old 11 August 2009, 11:55 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Aviation is a polished turd because of the way people act nowadays, and it is a shame!

Last edited by Janspeed; 11 August 2009 at 11:57 PM. Reason: type-0