iPod Car connectivity

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2009, 11:12 AM
molko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod Car connectivity

Hi

My wife is going to be driving around quite a bit, we would like to be able to connect the iPod to the car stereo.

She has a Leon, the only connection I can find is this one http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4066/08082009202.jpg

Is this of any use ? What cable would i need to connect my iPod to it ?

Thanks
Old 08 August 2009, 02:00 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

That looks like the car data port mate, for the ECU, so I would not go sticking things in it.
Just get a radio transmitter for the ipod, and tune the car radio into the ipods frequency. Easiest way.
Old 08 August 2009, 02:09 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Where is that connection, looks like it's under the dash or glovebox, or possibly near the ashtray. Looks very much like an OBDII (On Board Diagnostics II) port, so it won't help at all with the iPod connection.

Does the car stereo have an Aux In port on the front, it'd be a 3.5mm input (same size as your normal sized headphone socket). If it does then you can use a 3.5mm male to male cable (has headphone like connections at both ends), plug one end to the headphone socket on the iPod,the other into the aux in input, and away you go.

Does the head unit have support for a CD changer? If it does and you're not using a CD changer then you could get an adapter which will take an input cable which plugs in to the CD changer port. This is what I've used on my Accord. I've got the adapter plugged into the head unit (had to remove the head unit) and then a twin RCA to 3.5mm cable which plugs into my iPod/iPhone.

Another option would be an FM transmitter that you plug into the iPod. Have a look here. Select your iPod type and it'll show the products and there should be an iTrip product available for your iPod. What you do is select a station on the radio that has no signal, say 87.5, and then you configure the iTrip to that station, it'll then transmit the music to the radio and you'll hear it through the stereo. Before I had the adapter this is what I used to get my iPod to play music through my head unit. It's not perfect as if you cannot find a clear station then you'll get interference.

Another option is to go to Seat and ask them if there are any iPod connectivity solutions that can be retrofitted. This will probably cost a fair bit to do, or might not be possible, so the above options might be better.

What would be really useful is if you could pull the radio from the car and take a picture of the front and back of the unit and post them up, along with the model number of the radio, and also the model and year of the Car. We can then see if there are any ports on the unit that could be used. Obviously you will want to make sure you get the radio code for the radio before pulling it out.