Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Does this sound a bit suspect?

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2009, 11:16 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this sound a bit suspect?

Basically I have an old Shogun for sale sat on the drive with a for sale sign in the window with the price ono and my mobile number

On Thursday night around 10pm I get a phone call asking about the car as they were just up the street, so I came outside and a guy walked down (from about 5 houses away where his mate was parked in their car)

He didnt really look at the car, just said he wanted one for off roading every few weeks in Huddersfield, he asked was I open to offers and I said yes to reasonable offers

When I told him it was Petrol, he said ok ill go see my mate and see if he is still interested, and that he would call be back in about 5 minutes

So I went back in to the house, and sure enough 5 mins later he phoned me and asked if he could come back down, so I met him again outside the house, and he asked would I take less than half my asking price to which I told him no and told him what my lowest price would be

He said ok fair enough he can only ask and apologised for wasting my time

He then phoned back at midnight (to which I didnt answer the phone) on Friday during the day I had 6 missed calls immediately 1 after the other from a private number, I didnt answer and no message left

Then about an hour later I had another 6 missed calls immediately 1 after the other, again I didnt answer and no messages left

Another hour later I got a text from the same bloke offering 100 quid more than his previous offer making it half my asking price, to which I didnt bother responding

Then I got more missed calls again no messages left, then last night at 10pm he was parked about 5 doors up again and kept phoning again

Now I find this a little odd, as he kept calling the Shogun a Jeep, and really wanted a Land Rover, and he has only come down at 10pm at night when its dark and its his mate who has the money, but he stays sat in the car about 5 doors away just outside of being able to clock his reg number

Now ive just been outside again and it looks like the same car is parked up again in the same spot

Not sure what to make of it really, if they wanted to come into the house to 'do anything' then surely they would just offer the asking price to get into the house

If they were genuinely interested in the Shogun wouldnt they come in the daytime and the guy who wants it actually get out of the car and look at it, and also you would think they would park up outside my house

Like I said, not sure what to make of it really
Old 08 August 2009, 11:23 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

sounds v dodgy to me. as you say, why does he park so far up the street from you? why only phone at night to look at it?(worst time to buy anything!!!) maybes hoping you say yes to price, then take for test drive and jack you for it?

def want to try and get reg of the other car methinks,just in case owt happens in the next few days..
Old 08 August 2009, 11:29 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Why noit take a walk up the road and look at the car, take the reg number clock the passenger and walk back to your house.
If you engage the man again explain you have had a deposit on the car so it is no longer for sale, maybe he will take the hint and leave you alone.

If you are really worried call the police.
Old 08 August 2009, 11:46 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I would be he has gone again now LOL

Apparently its the same guy who turned up about 3 weeks ago and asked the F-I-L for pen to write down the phone number
Old 08 August 2009, 12:18 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Its def odd but crimbos don't usually mess around like that.

Sound like a couple of weirdos to me

I mean if you were intent on stealing it during the test drive why not offer closer to the amount so you get the test drive?
Old 08 August 2009, 12:33 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

That was my thoughts too

I had it up for sale about a year ago, then took it off sale as petrol prices were too high to close a sale

The guy the other night said to me 'you've had it up for sale for over a year haven't you' and I explained that I hadnt etc

Im not sure if they think im desperate to sell so are offering stupid money to get themselves a good deal, and think by waving cash in front of me that I will just take it but the price they are offering I can get more for it by breaking it and im not in any rush if it sells it sells if it doesnt it just means its taking up space on the drive
Old 08 August 2009, 02:14 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like he wants to sex your bum hole!
Old 08 August 2009, 07:55 PM
YoungY25
Scooby Regular

I had a similar situation about 6 months ago when my MG ZR was up for sale.
2 guys turned up to look at the car one night, apparently as they worked till late every night. Didnt really look at the car that well then offered me half what i was asking. I said no and they left it at that and drove off.
That night I got the same constant missed calls at strange hours of the night and a text saying he really wants the car but it was just too expensive for him.
Then 3 days later he called me as i was finishing work, said he wanted another look and asked if he could come round at 10pm. I said yeah but i was actually kinda suspect to be honest.
Sure enough, 10pm a car rolls up outside. By this point im extremely suspicious by the whole thing so i take my dog out with me. Im very glad i did because 5 of them piled out this little Fiat Punto.
They always say dogs can recognise when things arent quite right and now i firmly believe it as Duke went absolutely mental. He is a very placid dog but he started barking really viciously at the 5 of them. He was totally out of character for the 10 mins they were there for.
2 of them jumped back into the car and the other 2 just stood by the passanger door with the car between themselves and Duke. They obviously didnt fancy they're chances against a German Shepherd.
The lad who had visited before said he wanted another quick look so i left Duke at the end of the driveway and let the guy have a look, and quick look it was. He circled it, said it was still too expensive but thanks anyway and was on his way.
And that was it. Never heard from him again.
I was quite shook up by it afterwards and i reported it to the police the next day. They took a statement and all that jazz and told me they would be in touch but i havent heard nowt since.

I would honestly say watch that guy your talking about. Having been in a situation similar to yours, i would say that he is most definately up to something. I have no doubt those lads were after my car or were for robbing me or something that night. If i hadnt taken the dog out who knows what would have happened.
Trust your instincts mate, in my experience they are usually right

Last edited by YoungY25; 08 August 2009 at 08:00 PM.