Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Transferring into an itunes library

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2009, 11:43 AM
baser999
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transferring into an itunes library

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question but this has really bugged me. . .
My son has tried to drag me into the modern world and bought me an 8gb nano ipod. I successfully opened an itunes account and quickly downloaded a couple of cds, even adding artwork to my library - no problem.
I then went over to his place where he then downloaded his library off his laptop into my ipod. Although I lost my tunes as a consequence I managed to reinstate these when i got home - still no problem.
the problem has arisen when I've now tried to shift all the stuff on the ipod into my library. Although I don't have the facility to download to disc then upload again I made use of an apple and/or eHow site to move the contents of the ipod into my library and the capacity has gone up considerably, suggesting its all been successful.
However, for whatever reason, the library is blank - no album details,track listings,artwork etc Since the tunes are on the ipod its not a great problem although I don't obviously have the facility to delete anything. This is so frustrating
Anyone got any ideas?
Old 10 August 2009, 12:09 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Sounds like all you did was to copy the music from the iPod onto the computer, but you did not actually add the tracks into iTunes. It will NOT automatically scan for music, so even if you manually create/copy music into an appropriate folder within the default iTunes Music folder, iTunes will not display it.

Here is what I suggest. Launch iTunes, go into the Options and then into the Advanced section. You'll see an option stating "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to Library". Disable this option then click ok.

What you then need to do is add the Music to iTunes. This should be a case of opening iTunes, clicking on the Music item under the Library listing, then go and find where you copied your music to and drag and drop the folder containing all of the music onto iTunes and it should start processing and adding the tracks. It will not create duplicates as we disabled the option to do that.

You should see iTunes populate the music listing with the names of the tracks, and once the import is complete, double click on a few of the tracks to play them to make sure they do indeed play. Once you've done this you should go and re-enable the option we disabled earlier.
Old 12 August 2009, 04:39 AM
baser999
Scooby Regular

[quote=Markus;8873216]
Here is what I suggest. Launch iTunes, go into the Options and then into the Advanced section. You'll see an option stating "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to Library". Disable this option then click ok.

Don't have this as an option? Seem to recollect that at some point I might have 'hidden' some options but can't recollect where or how?

[quote]
Old 12 August 2009, 07:49 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

You might have a file on your pc with your music files from the ipod. Track down the new file, and chances are all the songs are named XASLJASF and the like.

Its a slow process but you can do this in batches, select a few of the files and double click them to play in your default music programme. <<<<as long as this is itunes

And they will appear in your library.
Old 12 August 2009, 10:53 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

i downloaded a wee programme caled "MediaWidgit" that allows you to hook up different ipods to different computers. you can then upload or download what ever you want. much faster than iTunes as well
Old 13 August 2009, 06:22 PM
baser999
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
i downloaded a wee programme caled "MediaWidgit" that allows you to hook up different ipods to different computers. you can then upload or download what ever you want. much faster than iTunes as well
Went this route - great, so quick - well worth the money Even an ol'bloke like me managed to use it - yep, that easy Thanx
Old 14 August 2009, 07:03 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by baser999
Went this route - great, so quick - well worth the money Even an ol'bloke like me managed to use it - yep, that easy Thanx
no probs, your welcome.