Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hornets! Muahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2009, 10:20 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hornets! Muahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Yesterday morning, a single hornet, crawling on my kitchen floor. Today, another, making a nuisance of itself around the kitchen. Both dispatched with a volley that Nadal would have been proud of, using my trusty flyswatter.

However, having seen two, I was suspicious So out I went with the binocs, and sure enough, they were back in one of my chimneys.

Only THIS year, there is a woodburning stove at the bottom. to the hornets. Muahahahahahahaha

It's now lit, and dried grass I mowed the other day, added by the fistful. Needless to say, it's smoking .........just a bit

There is a veritable CLOUD of hornets around the chimney trying to get back down, but to no avail. I shall keep the fire stocked with scrap wood and dried grass, for about three hours, should be enough to see the b*ggers off

wish I could download a photo of them trying, but no card-reader here.

Last edited by tanyatriangles; 12 August 2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12 August 2009, 10:37 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

It gets better: just been for another look and there's sparrows, housemartins etc catching the ones that are escaping.
Old 12 August 2009, 12:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is a Hornet just a big evil wasp type thing ?

Worked in America on a summer camp and I remember a "Wasp" entering the room, the kids scuttled out double quick leaving me to dispatch it which I did with minimal fuss but it was about two inches long and jet back, with a hyperdermic syringe stuck out the back, like a model Apache Gunship, apparently they werent that common and feared as the sting was pretty bad.
Old 12 August 2009, 12:50 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Yes, a hornet is like a super-duper wasp. About an inch to an inch and quarter long, very low pitched buzz, reddish-orange instead of yellow, including it's legs and antennae, and bl**dy aggressive if you get too near the nest. They WILL chase you, trust me

If you get stung, it's like being kicked by a horse. My wife got three one year on her face, she ended up looking like Quasimodo, one eye shut, could hardly breathe through her nose, her face pulled all out of shape and swollen to hell and back.

The one you mention is in the USA, can't remember it's name, but yes, a fearsome sting. To be avoided. Wall wasps?

Worst thing I've seen here are Giant Wood Wasps, (no, not MADE of wood), they grow up to two INCHES long and are again reddish-orange not yellow.

Luckily they are solitary, so no nests.

My hornets are still going in and out every time the smoke dies down Persistent little b*ggers, I'll give 'em that. I may yet call out the Pompiers to deal with them.
Old 12 August 2009, 01:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Are they Frog Hornets TT?

Les
Old 12 August 2009, 04:08 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

be carefull the buggers in Japan kill !
Old 12 August 2009, 04:56 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Thought you meant one of these!

Photos: McDonnell Douglas F-18C Hornet Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net
Old 12 August 2009, 05:30 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Well, we are now into part two.

The smoke drove them off, but as soon as it stopped, they are back.

Apparently, the Pompiers no longer do hornets, so it's a private company. However, a visit to a local hardware store produced a fumigation bomb, so I lit it in the enclosed chimney.

With hindsight, it would probably have been better to wait until tonight when they will all be in the nest, but I was over excited. I'll have to see what tomorrow brings.
Old 12 August 2009, 06:10 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Murderer!!!

Old 12 August 2009, 06:22 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

I had a tree in my garden that seem to support the nastiest looking hornets (too big to be normal wasps) and so the next autumn I had the ****** obliterated as there was no way I was going to have those things in close proximity again

Never seen such a nasty ******* of an insect since and hope I never come across them again..............
Old 12 August 2009, 06:33 PM
worley
Scooby Regular

Ahh, you have made connaisance of a 'Frelon' or two.

Nasty buggers, gave the G/F a fright a fews years ago when I made an emergency stop to kill one that had made it's way into the car. Kill kill kill.

Nik
Old 12 August 2009, 07:27 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Worley, that's exactly what these things looked like!! Glad they have now disappeared. I can cope with ordinary wasps and Bumble Bees but those ******* just looked like something out of a movie
Old 12 August 2009, 07:44 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As with most things slightly too large , hornets arnt as effective as your average wasp

I inherited a place in the New Forrest beset with Hornet nests down the decades ,

One aday setting out to drive back home a felt a tickle on the bcak of the neck , and went to investigate , whereupon i was stung - this was a hornet who i swoshed away with no more ado - sure neck went a bit numb for a while ,but

a couple of years ago i was stung by a swarm of wasps whilst chopping down some vines in the girlfriends hired house , i didnt i admit ,see the beasts from beginning to end but after a couple of hours i looked like Tyson after 10 rounds
Old 12 August 2009, 08:09 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by worley
Ahh, you have made connaisance of a 'Frelon' or two.

Nasty buggers, gave the G/F a fright a fews years ago when I made an emergency stop to kill one that had made it's way into the car. Kill kill kill.

Nik
You mean one of these?

Photos: Aerospatiale SA-321G Super Frelon Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

Old 12 August 2009, 08:14 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

wimps

Old 12 August 2009, 08:45 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

That picture is nowt like the ones I have here. "Mine" are orangey-red where that one is yellow, and have the same coloured antennae and legs. And they are, if anything, bigger.

And yes, I will let hornets and wasps crawl on my hands and arms, they don't sting unless provoked, but I don't want 'em in my chimney two years running, especially when my older sister is coming to visit next week.
Old 12 August 2009, 09:07 PM
Wagon Gaz
Scooby Regular

I could get rid of them for you, as I am licensed to do so where abouts are you?
Old 12 August 2009, 09:42 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wagon Gaz
I could get rid of them for you, as I am licensed to do so where abouts are you?
Thirty miles SW of Limoges.

Somehow, I don't think either it'd be worth your while, or that I could afford it if it was, but thanks anyway
Old 12 August 2009, 09:50 PM
Wagon Gaz
Scooby Regular

I kinda guessed you wernt local
Old 12 August 2009, 10:46 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Thirty miles SW of Limoges.

Somehow, I don't think either it'd be worth your while, or that I could afford it if it was, but thanks anyway

I have been killing the entire British population of cabbage white butterflies with a badminton racket, then feeding them to my pigeons

I could get rid of your problem for you
Old 13 August 2009, 10:04 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

You want to come down here and take them on, you are welcome.

But it's at your expense
Old 13 August 2009, 10:39 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Hornets are a protected species here in sausageland and it is illegal to kill em, last summer one was flaying around close to my 9month old godson , huge great orange thing I was about to splat it but was told not to and it was gentle persuaded to go bother someone else with a menu.

When I was in the army based in cyprus we had a nasty shock when we found the cystern tanks of the toilets in our barrack block full of hornets, or farking huge wasps as I don't recall them being orange but where to big to be wasps. they had crawled in through the various overflow pipes. Fortunately they were very dosile which was lucky for me as I lifted the lid off to have a look at them. The loos were put out of bounds until they were dealt with.
Old 13 August 2009, 08:05 PM
scotty01
Scooby Regular

Leave them alone, they are getting rarer every year because people kill them through fear of them! They are very docile and will not do you any harm unless you do the stupid thing like wind them up by smoking them out of the chimney.
If you must kill them then do it properly with a professional doing the treatment. I work as a pest controller and people doing stupid **** like this just pisses me off!
I hope you get stung!
European hornet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 13 August 2009, 08:24 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

oh thats nice, people can't help but be a bit scared of something with a stinger like that and its not very nice for you to say you hope he gets stung. i hope you have to go to a flea infested house tommorow and forget to tape your suit up and get a boxer full, of them.
Old 13 August 2009, 08:27 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wagon Gaz
I kinda guessed you wernt local
Oh Gaz, he's very local... 2 miles from me infact. Just his "other" house in France isn't

Having fun Jeffrey Bet you wished I'd have come with you now to do all you dirty work, eh?
Old 13 August 2009, 08:29 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by belliott69
oh thats nice, people can't help but be a bit scared of something with a stinger like that and its not very nice for you to say you hope he gets stung. i hope you have to go to a flea infested house tommorow and forget to tape your suit up and get a boxer full, of them.
+1

Me and the O.P. are good mates, and I know he wouldn't be looking to exterminate them unless they were a persistant problem.

(Maybe)
Old 13 August 2009, 08:37 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by belliott69
LOL

What if the OP, wife, kids, sister etc are allergic to the stings, is it ok to leave them then ?
Old 13 August 2009, 08:52 PM
scotty01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
LOL

What if the OP, wife, kids, sister etc are allergic to the stings, is it ok to leave them then ?
Then call a professional People get hurt when idiots play with these things.

Belliot69 they are very docile and will only sting when provoked! They will give you 2 warning bumps and if you dont leave then you will be stung. People are scared of them through ignorance and because they are bigger, yet their sting is no worse than a normal sized wasp Leave em alone and theres nothing to fear

Fleas don't bother me btw
Old 13 August 2009, 09:42 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scotty01
Leave them alone, they are getting rarer every year because people kill them through fear of them! They are very docile and will not do you any harm unless you do the stupid thing like wind them up by smoking them out of the chimney.
If you must kill them then do it properly with a professional doing the treatment. I work as a pest controller and people doing stupid **** like this just pisses me off!
I hope you get stung!
European hornet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What a total ****** you are. My wife HAS been stung and almost ended in hospital. She got NO "warning bumps", and the three stings were the worst mess I've EVER seen, FAR worse than any wasps. The French doctor who treated her told her she should have gone straight to hospital. You seem to "know" a whole load of crap. I just LOVE these ill-educated morons telling others what to do and how to do it

These things are going, end of.

Now go back to your dreary little job eradicating pests, you prat.

Last edited by tanyatriangles; 13 August 2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 13 August 2009, 10:36 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

lol @ the two warning bumps, that's very specific!

Quick Reply: Hornets! Muahahahahahahahahahahahaha!