Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BANNING lightbulbs!??

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2009, 09:48 AM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry BANNING lightbulbs!??

The EU are banning 'normal' lightbulbs. Am I the only one this has passed by? I hate the energy saving ones - they're useless. Plus, my dimmers will probably not work with eco-bulbs. Is it just me that's bemused and pi**ed off by this?

European Union ban on lightbulbs leads to a dim future - Telegraph
Old 25 August 2009, 09:58 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The ecological damage caused by the manufacture and disposal of CFL lights kind of makes it a barmy proposal.

I still use CFLs where I can and highpower LEDs outside, simply to reduce my electric bill (which it has ): Its purely a cost excercise (especially seeing that its hard to find longlife incadescent bulbs these days).

Couldn't give a stuff how damaging to the environment CFLs are.

Still, might stock pile some 100 and 150 watt light bulbs; they are useful when decorating.

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 August 2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 25 August 2009, 09:58 AM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock up while you can and make a fortune reselling them to people like yourself!
Old 25 August 2009, 10:27 AM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

[The Pub Landlord] BACK OFF BRUSSELS !!!!!!!!! [/The Pub Landlord]
Old 25 August 2009, 10:29 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Know you know why companies were flogging them off cheap a while back, i stocked up on 1000watt floodlight bulbs as i knew i would struggle to get them soon
Old 25 August 2009, 10:32 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

This was Daily Mail front page news about six months ago. I also had a B&Q chap explain the new regulations to me back in January. It's a bloody joke if you ask me. Ok i can sort of understand how screw fittings are better than the fiddly bayonet fixings we have now, but to make bayonet bulbs obsolete, forcing people to fit new bulb holders, just smacks of EU bureuacracy at its best (worst). Plus you won't be able to get anything more than a 60w bulb, plus, as you said, you won't easily be able to make dimmers work properly.

I wouldn't be surprised if 100w old style bulbs take on contraband status soon. Pathetic.
Old 25 August 2009, 10:37 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

How about my supply of 1000 watt jobbies

I will become some kind of black market super king they may become more valuable then gold
Old 25 August 2009, 10:45 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

My Dad gave me about 20 150w bulbs earlier this year. Best present i've ever received.
Old 25 August 2009, 10:46 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
bureuacracy

:barf:
Old 25 August 2009, 10:53 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

This is just the begining, forcing people to buy "EU approved" light. Just wait until after Copenhagen. Meanwhile, the US EPS has decalred CO2 pollution. The madness will continue, your taxes will increase to fund corporate welfare and "green jobs" (Which don't exist).

Meanwhile our Sun is defying predictions, and still remains quiet, record inactivity, even NASA suggests we could be in for a Dalton type minimum.
Old 25 August 2009, 10:54 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a shed load of old school bulbs, tungsten bulbs,halogen bulbs sodium bulbs

COME AND GET THEM YOU CRAZY EU BARSTEWARDS YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE
Old 25 August 2009, 10:56 AM
RFSA180
Scooby Regular

"The new bulbs will help you save money and energy," says Paula Owen of the Energy Savings Trust. "And by saving energy, you'll be helping to fight climate change, too."

I imagine if it was her way we would live in huts made of our own ****. In the dark, eating 'steamed' toast. ****ing oxygen thief.
Old 25 August 2009, 11:17 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Job creation

Break out the hurricane lamps

'bureuacracy' - something you keep in the cabinet ?
Old 25 August 2009, 11:31 AM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

The part of this that I've found really difficult is...

ALL PEARL BULBS, UNLESS "ENERGY SAVERS", ARE BANNED FROM 1st SEPTEMBER 2009.

That means all of the 40w pearl candle bulbs that I've got on dimmers in my lounge and library will need replacing with either (a) clear 40w candle bulbs (which will look awful!) or (b) CFL candle bulbs which are about 2 inches longer than incandescent ones and cannot be dimmed!

I went on a shopping spree earlier this week to buy a few years supply of them. I'm sure next time we change the light fittings / thorougly redecorate that all fittings will properly support CFLs, but right now they don't - so I need enough to last a few years.

So - if you need PEARL bulbs of any colour then buy 'em now, cus come 1st September you won't be able to buy them anywhere...

Don't start me on how stupid a law this is... as all that will happen is the diffusion will move from the bulb to the fitting/shade for the same reduced efficiency/effect...

Shades
Old 25 August 2009, 11:32 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Mr Shades posting on a lightbulb thread
Old 25 August 2009, 11:36 AM
Lisawrx

I've just put on a new layout at work, where all the pearl bulbs have been removed. Stocked up on a few packs at 50% off.

Truthfully, so far there haven't been nearly as many complaints about this, as when we stopped selling 150/100w bulbs.
Old 25 August 2009, 11:53 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I dunno, in a few years maybe the EU bureaucrats will see the light and change their mind

(I'm sorry, I'll get my coat and leave )
Old 25 August 2009, 11:53 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

It's not the technology behind the bulbs that is the problem IMO, it's the BS behind CO2, humans and climate change.

Like patio heaters, these bulbs won't save the planet (Not sure how you can tax an asteriod or the death of our Sun, but when have politicians been sensible?) from the predicted and computer modelled catastrophic human induced climate change by burning fossil fuels.

People, we are are being duped.
Old 25 August 2009, 11:56 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Luminous
I dunno, in a few years maybe the EU bureaucrats will see the light and change their mind

No, they'll just have another bright idea

Pass my coat while you're there.
Old 25 August 2009, 11:56 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Luminous

Don't let the door hit you on the way.
Old 25 August 2009, 11:57 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

What?
Old 25 August 2009, 12:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I have moved over most of our bulbs to the Energy saving ones, I personally dont mind them, it avoids standing on a chair every few days to change one of the three in the fitting in either lounge or rooting round the bathroom ones with their cargo of dead moth Muesli, litterally every weekend I was changing a couple light bulbs, so far I have changed 2 evergy savers in about 5 years.

Nobody can see after dusk but thats the price of progress, I race the downstair loo one, I can get in have a pee and be out before its started throwing enough light to see by.
Old 25 August 2009, 12:56 PM
RFSA180
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
It's not the technology behind the bulbs that is the problem IMO, it's the BS behind CO2, humans and climate change.

Like patio heaters, these bulbs won't save the planet (Not sure how you can tax an asteriod or the death of our Sun, but when have politicians been sensible?) from the predicted and computer modelled catastrophic human induced climate change by burning fossil fuels.

People, we are are being duped.
My sentiment exactly. The hippies feel the Government is finally listening them by 'backing' green issues. Our Government uses these green issues to tax us regular citizens. For example; Emission based road tax that is not tied in anyway, to the miles a vehicle does.

This latest Bulb**** is yet more of that. We pay more for light bulbs therefore pay more in VAT etc etc etc. All because the planet 'needs' us.
Old 25 August 2009, 01:05 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO

Nobody can see after dusk but thats the price of progress, I race the downstair loo one, I can get in have a pee and be out before its started throwing enough light to see by.
I imagine theyll be jobs aplenty for domestic cleaners in a few years time , what with the ageing poulation
Old 25 August 2009, 01:10 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by RFSA180
My sentiment exactly. The hippies feel the Government is finally listening them by 'backing' green issues. Our Government uses these green issues to tax us regular citizens. For example; Emission based road tax that is not tied in anyway, to the miles a vehicle does.

This latest Bulb**** is yet more of that. We pay more for light bulbs therefore pay more in VAT etc etc etc. All because the planet 'needs' us.
At the moment, it's only 100w bulbs and the pearl ones you will no longer be able to buy. You can still get 'normal' bulbs for a fairly low price.

Saying that, I doubt it'll be long before energy savers/halogen ones are all that will be available.
Old 25 August 2009, 01:23 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Old News this .... I bought a huge load of old fashioned bulbs months ago.

That said, I bought a bundle of Energy Saving Bulbs from Poundland for 10p each on Sunday just gone.
Old 25 August 2009, 01:27 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RFSA180

Speaking of VAT, have you heard of the recent GBP32 million VAT fraud in the UK on fake carbon offset certificates? LMAO...John Cleese and Connie Booth couldn't write a farce better than ETS, CRPS and carbon offsets.
Old 25 August 2009, 01:27 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
This is just the begining, forcing people to buy "EU approved" light. Just wait until after Copenhagen. Meanwhile, the US EPS has decalred CO2 pollution. The madness will continue, your taxes will increase to fund corporate welfare and "green jobs" (Which don't exist).

Meanwhile our Sun is defying predictions, and still remains quiet, record inactivity, even NASA suggests we could be in for a Dalton type minimum.
Couldn't agree more.

Ecomentalists need to wake up and smell the coffee. Current 'progress' is fuelled by pressure groups of multi-nationals. Nothing of real worth will come about from stopping us using pearl light bulbs. The concept of the energy cycle is very simple: energy is finite - you cannot get free energy. The human race is growing at a massive rate and it's energy consumption will have to grow. We might become more efficient but we will, nevertheless, run out of energy. EU are diluded idiots who are getting on my nerves. The only thing which gets on the more are the equally diluded ecomentalists. The only 'solution' is a reduction in the world population. Doomed!
Old 25 August 2009, 02:01 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Whens the f*****g revolution starting, I've just sharpened my pitchfork.....
Old 25 August 2009, 02:30 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
Whens the f*****g revolution starting, I've just sharpened my pitchfork.....
Do what the French do, block roads etc. Sitting in front of the TV watching Deadenders, or in ScoobyNet, your/our politicians will just shaft us. Oh hang on...

Quick Reply: BANNING lightbulbs!??