Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

We are clearly rich enough to begin paying off our debts ...

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2009, 09:04 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up We are clearly rich enough to begin paying off our debts ...

The total amount of personal debt in the UK has fallen for the first time since records began in 1993, the Bank of England has said.

Personal borrowing fell by £600m in July, taking the total owed by individuals down to £1.457 trillion.

There was a drop in both mortgage debt and other forms of borrowing such as bank loans.

Quite clearly there is money sloshing about in peoples pockets .... I blame Labour for this wealth creation!!
Old 02 September 2009, 09:28 AM
yoza
BANNED

£1.457 Trillion....half of that is mine.

And no I cant pay it off, just yet.

Im happy though, got everything I want right now, when I want it.
Old 02 September 2009, 09:30 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never felt wealthier, even the butler's wearing silk PJs. Thank you Gordon and Tony
Old 02 September 2009, 09:33 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
The total amount of personal debt in the UK has fallen for the first time since records began in 1993, the Bank of England has said.

Personal borrowing fell by £600m in July, taking the total owed by individuals down to £1.457 trillion.

There was a drop in both mortgage debt and other forms of borrowing such as bank loans.

Quite clearly there is money sloshing about in peoples pockets .... I blame Labour for this wealth creation!!
Yeah yeah - why don't you start a thread on how your wonderful Labia party has handed over £200 Billion to the bankers and then put up the price of petrol so we can all fund the *******.

Better still - start one on the small business struggling even more because people are $hitting themselves too much .

I suspect much of this drop has been caused by said bankers no longer lending to folk who are now unemployed
Old 02 September 2009, 10:12 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Listening to the economists on R4 this morning and they said the fact that people are paying off their debts/saving is a BAD THING!!!

The reason is that the government are trying to encourage people to SPEND money in order to kick-start the economy.

Well done Labour - another fail...
Old 02 September 2009, 10:19 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I can see folk want to keep some money for a rainy day. But if they just use it to pay off a bit of their mortgage they will never have access to that in the future.

So if I had any spare dosh I would buy some Krugerrands or keep it in a bank, even with lousy interest rates currently on offer. dl
Old 02 September 2009, 10:20 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp

the same inane, sychophantic, ramblings from pete, what a surprise. TROLL!!!!
Old 02 September 2009, 10:24 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
the same inane, sychophantic, ramblings from pete, what a surprise. TROLL!!!!
You read my mind.
Old 02 September 2009, 10:37 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Listening to the economists on R4 this morning and they said the fact that people are paying off their debts/saving is a BAD THING!!!

The reason is that the government are trying to encourage people to SPEND money in order to kick-start the economy.

Well done Labour - another fail...

Exactly. This pattern is borne out of the deep insecurity being felt by many people now.

Not exactly a triumph on any level. But still the threads keep coming, from a banned user.
Old 02 September 2009, 10:58 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pete

For a Government trying to spend it's way out of a recession, saving leads to more recession...

Keynesian economics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shaun
Old 02 September 2009, 11:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Is it a good idea then, during periods when the economy appears to be doing well, to keep overborrowiing and to spend the GNP on items which are part of a government's mantra but which do nothing to improve the lot of the electorate or the country in general? Is it a better idea to reduce the country's debt instead and be sensible about government spending, especially if the goverment's fiscal authority is too weak and incompetent to control those who are taking the rest of us for a ride and eventually ruining the economy?

Les
Old 02 September 2009, 11:56 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Pete's grasp of economics is at least as good as Gordon's!
Old 02 September 2009, 12:43 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

I've said this before and i'll say it again.

People on benefits should have to work in a government run factory which makes things for export. The workers would get 1.5 x their dole plus the usual housing benefits. The technically "Free" labour would enable us as a country to create goods cheaply and export abroad, thus paying off our huge debt.
Old 02 September 2009, 01:03 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mamoon2

People on benefits should have to work in a government run factory which makes things for export. The workers would get 1.5 x their dole plus the usual housing benefits. The technically "Free" labour would enable us as a country to create goods cheaply and export abroad, thus paying off our huge debt.
There's a much easier solution.

People on benefits lose the right to vote.

Job's a good un - no more Labia - EVER
Old 02 September 2009, 01:14 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Ah you mean communism...

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...DM_800x613.jpg

Dont really disagree though!
Old 02 September 2009, 01:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey
There's a much easier solution.

People on benefits lose the right to vote.

Job's a good un - no more Labia - EVER
What makes you think they bother to vote?

Les
Old 02 September 2009, 02:05 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Leslie
What makes you think they bother to vote?

Les
If they aint voting Labia then who the **** is
Old 02 September 2009, 02:10 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Problem is what would we export and is there a demand for it? The unemployed is expect to hit 3 million next year. Where are we going to build the factories to make use of that many people? Who is going to train them and how much will it cost the tax payers to implement?

Personally I think people on benefit should receive food/fuel vouchers enough for necessities instead of cash and would be on a sliding scale where it will reduce the longer they are out of work. Next stage on from that would that these vouchers are only redeemable at Government sponsored outlets.

But yes agree with the notion that paying off your debts is not necessarily a good thing for the economy since no money is being spent.
Old 02 September 2009, 03:30 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Talking to a guy who hada factory here, he told me that MOST of the lost manufacturing jobs will NEVER return to the UK

Well done, Lying Labour, you've finished off what Maggie started.
Old 02 September 2009, 04:53 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Problem is what would we export and is there a demand for it? The unemployed is expect to hit 3 million next year. Where are we going to build the factories to make use of that many people? Who is going to train them and how much will it cost the tax payers to implement?

Personally I think people on benefit should receive food/fuel vouchers enough for necessities instead of cash and would be on a sliding scale where it will reduce the longer they are out of work. Next stage on from that would that these vouchers are only redeemable at Government sponsored outlets.

But yes agree with the notion that paying off your debts is not necessarily a good thing for the economy since no money is being spent.
Agree re. food vouchers etc. I would have been better off in the last 18 months over some 20 something fat chav pig with 12 kids up t'street
Old 02 September 2009, 05:46 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc

Plenty of empty premises in this country. We could set up an arms factory pretty easily and sell to the US. We could make any type of goods and undercut anyone else in europe because of the cheap labour. We could bring manufacturing companies into the country for that reason.
Old 02 September 2009, 06:16 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Plenty of empty premises in this country. We could set up an arms factory pretty easily and sell to the US. We could make any type of goods and undercut anyone else in europe because of the cheap labour. We could bring manufacturing companies into the country for that reason.
I wish! Our manufacturing industries are going to the wall daily, because they STILL can't borrow money, and those jobs will NEVER return to the UK.

My eldest works a a welder/plater in HOLLAND ffs, since there were no jobs in the UK. How the DUTCH get the jobs I dunno, but there we are.
Old 02 September 2009, 08:18 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

So are you telling me that a big manufacturing company would not locate themselves in the UK if the government promised staff they could pay peanuts?

This would get rid of the bill for benefits from the Taxpayer leaving the money to pay off debt ect...
Old 02 September 2009, 10:04 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

So are you telling me that a big manufacturing company would not locate themselves in the UK if the government promised staff they could pay peanuts?

This would get rid of the bill for benefits from the Taxpayer leaving the money to pay off debt ect...
No mate, I'm telling you what's happening NOW, in real life, companies going to the wall because the banks STILL won't lend money, the government meanwhile holds it's hands up and whines, "What can WE do?" and the whole lot collapses.

Do you REALLY think manufacturing can regain the ground it has lost under those conditions, cheap labour or no? They STILL need the loans to keep going, short term, and the banks would rather pay big bonuses to the "succesful" executives.

And Lying Labour? Well what CAN they do? When they are in bed f*cking the bankers up their *rses? Nowt, which is just what they ARE doing
Old 02 September 2009, 10:05 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

A few things to consider before setting up a Government sponsored sweat shop:
* minimum wage legislation
* demographic of the unemployed
* competition, monopolies and ethics
* unfair advantage against existing private firms producing similar products and could themselves be put out of business
* US have their own and a more mature arms industry and is very heavily regulated for obvious reasons
* chavs are "unskilled" and would still avoid lifting a finger to do a full days work and would you buy anything that they've made!
Old 03 September 2009, 07:57 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
I wish! Our manufacturing industries are going to the wall daily, because they STILL can't borrow money, and those jobs will NEVER return to the UK.

My eldest works a a welder/plater in HOLLAND ffs, since there were no jobs in the UK. How the DUTCH get the jobs I dunno, but there we are.
TT... how is you son finding it in Den Haag??
Old 03 September 2009, 10:43 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
TT... how is you son finding it in Den Haag??
He's not in Den Haag, that's where I thought he was going when he described it before he knew the name of the place. He's in Zierikzee, living in a hotel in the north of the town, which is all 13th century and cobbled streets, and he can see a windmill out of his hotel window.

Maps of the world, street map search - powered by Multimap

He likes it fine, once it got busy after winter, when it was a bit disappointing, it turns out it's a resort in summer, so there's loads going on
Old 03 September 2009, 03:42 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

What's Lewis been banned for this time

Isn't it about time we were shot of the nasty little troll once and for all
Old 04 September 2009, 02:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Talking to a guy who hada factory here, he told me that MOST of the lost manufacturing jobs will NEVER return to the UK

Well done, Lying Labour, you've finished off what Maggie started.
I imagine that the only way to do that is to set up industrial manufacturing firms which undercut everyone else for wages, and no one here would work for that kind of money!

Les

Quick Reply: We are clearly rich enough to begin paying off our debts ...